Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few other posts with discussions on the included data plan vs your own. Does anyone know how the OTA updates work? I'm guessing you need to be in range of a WiFi signal first of but won't the updates use of quite a large amount of your monthly data allowance?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the question should be: Will an OTA update start by itself or do you have to start it with Touch Pro?

I will hope, that there is/will be some kind of announcement, if a new update is available.

CU

Jens

·
Registered
133 Posts
OTA updates are the Loch Ness beast of I-Pace for now. Much talk about it, yet to meet one. Isn't it? :roll:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I tried again today ...for nothing ( but then it seems 14.5 is a typo of 14.2)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Jeggo said:
I think the question should be: Will an OTA update start by itself or do you have to start it with Touch Pro?

I will hope, that there is/will be some kind of announcement, if a new update is available.

CU

Jens
That's how the Jaguar dealer/ProDrive explained it to me at the delivery of my i-Pace yesterday: the software update is announced, when an update is available you will get a popup, with an OK and a defer button. OK starts the update immediately, provided that a network connection is available; if you defer it, you can select it from the list of available Software Updates later, and start it when you're ready for it, e.g. in reach of your home Wifi network.
Soninshort : no unexpected cost on your data SIM due to OTA updates.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the details but not really what I was asking. I'm more interested to know if and when the OTA updates appear what amount of monthly data will be needed so I have enough for my personal use. I mean are the files likely to be in MB or GB? No one knows.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just watched a video by Bjorn on updating his Tesla. He was able to single out the download for Tesla's V9 software update. It came to 6.20GB! I'm not sure but I think some owners data plans may not be enough if Jaguar updates are even half that in a month.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Baikar said:
I've just watched a video by Bjorn on updating his Tesla. He was able to single out the download for Tesla's V9 software update. It came to 6.20GB! I'm not sure but I think some owners data plans may not be enough if Jaguar updates are even half that in a month.
IMHO, the OTA should not automatically be done over cellular networks. It should work via a WiFi signal to say your home network.
Most people don't have 10Gb/month data packages. I certainly don't. My use case gets by on 1Gb/month but I use close to 100Gb at home most months. I'm on a 250Gb/month plan so 6 or even 10Gb OTA download would not break the bank.

There might be some very peed off owners if Cellular/mobile operators charge 20p/Mb for data use outside their plans.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMHO i don't think we should worry to much about the data usage for the OTA updates, we are probably never going to get any updates
From JLR anyway. They updated the telematics module to 14.2 a while ago toghter with some update that would give you the possibility to charge at a higher rate ( 100kW ) but it did absolutely nothing. There have been several software releases since then but nothing has pop up in the car. I for one have had several software related issues in the six weeks I've had the car but they can't manage to fix any of them.
My confidence in JLR and there software engineers is is pretty low right now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SammyD said:
Baikar said:
IMHO, the OTA should not automatically be done over cellular networks. It should work via a WiFi signal to say your home network.
Most people don't have 10Gb/month data packages. I certainly don't. My use case gets by on 1Gb/month but I use close to 100Gb at home most months. I'm on a 250Gb/month plan so 6 or even 10Gb OTA download would not break the bank.

There might be some very peed off owners if Cellular/mobile operators charge 20p/Mb for data use outside their plans.
Good point, so does the car have built in Wi-fi which if in range of say your home network will be able to download the updates or do you have to provide car Wi-fi by using a cellular SIM card?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Baikar said:
SammyD said:
Baikar said:

Good point, so does the car have built in Wi-fi which if in range of say your home network will be able to download the updates or do you have to provide car Wi-fi by using a cellular SIM card?
I have no problem to connect the car to my WiFi home network and can easily launch a « check for updates »....

·
Registered
48 Posts
My car also connects to WiFi no problem when in range at home. Unfortunately the manual seems to make clear that over the air software updates can only be done over cellular connections via the inbuilt SIM or a user added SIM? Seems unbelievable crazy you can't use WiFi when in range parked up at home, but that's what the manual infers!! There is no mention anywhere that you can do updates via WiFi :x :x :x :x :x

Font Screenshot Communication Device Technology Electronic device

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Marcom said:
IMHO i don't think we should worry to much about the data usage for the OTA updates, we are probably never going to get any updates
From JLR anyway. They updated the telematics module to 14.2 a while ago toghter with some update that would give you the possibility to charge at a higher rate ( 100kW ) but it did absolutely nothing. There have been several software releases since then but nothing has pop up in the car. I for one have had several software related issues in the six weeks I've had the car but they can't manage to fix any of them.
My confidence in JLR and there software engineers is is pretty low right now.
IMHO much of this is unjustified.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Simonmac said:
My car also connects to WiFi no problem when in range at home. Unfortunately the manual seems to make clear that over the air software updates can only be done over cellular connections via the inbuilt SIM or a user added SIM? Seems unbelievable crazy you can't use WiFi when in range parked up at home, but that's what the manual infers!! There is no mention anywhere that you can do updates via WiFi :x :x :x :x :x
Maybe they are afraid of interrupt in outside wifi service while updating software which is understandable.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, seems like they are not sure themselves what they are providing to their customers. A Jag Expert told me at an event, that the main purpose of the WiFi Home connection is to download large OTA updates. According to him it is not possible to access the car via InControl if the car has no cellular connection even if it is connected to the home WiFi. This is poor technics, too, but it sounded plausible to me because what usecase should a WiFi home connection then have when the car I sitting at the parking lot. It is really confusing :roll:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Simonmac said:

071A458E-6AEF-4533-AAB8-5E55876F8BB9.png
What is the inbuilt sim they refer to? Is this the sim that you can replace with your own personal sim on your own data plan?

·
Registered
335 Posts
d111112 said:
Wow, seems like they are not sure themselves what they are providing to their customers. A Jag Expert told me at an event, that the main purpose of the WiFi Home connection is to download large OTA updates. According to him it is not possible to access the car via InControl if the car has no cellular connection even if it is connected to the home WiFi. This is poor technics, too, but it sounded plausible to me because what usecase should a WiFi home connection then have when the car I sitting at the parking lot. It is really confusing :roll:
Agree. I had difficulties with installing my 4G-sim. Normal sim (speech + data, youfone, NL) did not work, so cancelled the subscription and installed a data-only sim from KPN (NL). Unfortunately no difference: was not able to get 4G, and could only see the charging state in the InControl-app. Location of the vehicle stayed at the dealer, although it was on my driveway. Unable to check the status of doors, alarm etc.
Reinstalling the sim only asked for permission to share data, but no request for the SIM-code. And no 4G..

Today, out of the blue while driving, my car asked for the sim-code. After entering the code 4G works like a charm now and I am able to fully use the InControl app.

I am very happy 4G finally works, but it puzzles me why. I did the first full-charge last night. Shoud / could that matter? I don't think so..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts