Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Paris Motor Show and asked a few questions to a JLR Europe " Electric Coach" , quite knowledgeable actually since he was coming from Tesla.
- 3 Phases charging : it is not possible to modify the cars
- Superchargers : for now - and probably until the end of the year - the maximum charging speed is 80 KW . By the end of 2018 it will become 100KW - by OTA. May be it will go up to 120 KW.
- Number of IONITY superchargers in France : today 4 to be increased to 60 before the summer of 2019.
- OTA has to be done using WiFi.
- No possibility to use the 360 cam beyond 20km/h ( in particular no rear camera view on the motorway)
- Battery capacity : 84,7 KWH ( although Bjørn thinks it is more like 81KWH )
- Charging speed : starts to decline after 80% ( and not 60% as Bjørn said ) .
Hope that helps.
Should you have any questions I plan to go back to morrow

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, I'd like to understand what the limitations are that make the following impossible:
- No possibility to use rearview cam beyond 20km/h
- No possibility to retrofit 3 phase charging

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Raeth said:
Thanks, I'd like to understand what the limitations are that make the following impossible:
- No possibility to use rearview cam beyond 20km/h
- No possibility to retrofit 3 phase charging
The retrofit - I guess technical it is possible but would require so much to be changed that it becomes far too expensive. Whereby I expect that the Jaguar dealers/workshops themselves can't even do the retrofit.

That is actually an interesting question - what happens when you have a serious accident with not just bodywork damaged but also battery damaged and/or engine damaged. Who would be able to do the necessary repairs if at all possible.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
emgf said:
I went to the Paris Motor Show and asked a few questions to a JLR Europe " Electric Coach" , quite knowledgeable actually since he was coming from Tesla.
- Superchargers : for now - and probably until the end of the year - the maximum charging speed is 80 KW . By the end of 2018 it will become 100KW - by OTA. May be it will go up to 120 KW.
- Number of IONITY superchargers in France : today 4 to be increased to 60 before the summer of 2019.
Thanks for sharing and really good information also mostly positives.

If you could can you ask below questions:
- The increase in supercharger speed - will that be achieved by allowing higher Amp or by increasing Volts? Bjorn was positively suprissed with I-pace charging at a higher voltage than other cars and expected that 200A limit to be adjusted in the near future.
- Number of IONITY supercharges today and expected next year for Netherlands and Germany

Regarding the charging speed slowing down at SoC of 60% - that was really shown in the video (so that was a factual observation from Bjorn) so maybe that is today situation. Maybe once charging speed is increased to 100kW or 120kW it starts to slow down at SoC of 80%.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
If you could can you ask below questions:
- The increase in supercharger speed - will that be achieved by allowing higher Amp or by increasing Volts? Bjorn was positively suprissed with I-pace charging at a higher voltage than other cars and expected that 200A limit to be adjusted in the near future.
Jelle, increasing the Voltage is not possible with software update. The voltage is dependent on the number of cells in series and is therefore a hardware choice. The number of amps you push through these cells is a software choice. So there you have your answer ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
emgf said:
- 3 Phases charging : it is not possible to modify the cars
- OTA has to be done using WiFi.
- No possibility to use the 360 cam beyond 20km/h ( in particular no rear camera view on the motorway)
- Battery capacity : 84,7 KWH ( although Bjørn thinks it is more like 81KWH )
Hope that helps.
Should you have any questions I plan to go back to morrow
Number of Ionity chargers in the UK by end 2019? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding IONITY european agenda I learnt that the plan is :
- 100 stations in 2018
- 300 stations in 2019 ( including 44 in U.K. ( thks tjipace ) and 60 in France)
- 400 stations in 2020

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ask why the car is so ineffective and if there is a chance they will improve. Especially low speed consumption. At high speed drag is high and so is consumption.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Could you ask about the security/safety of the key fob. Is it dangerous and can one be 'hacked'? Do we have to take additional precautions?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About the security/Safety of the key fob , I did ask but did not get any convincing answer

·
Registered
179 Posts
emgf said:
About the security/Safety of the key fob , I did ask but did not get any convincing answer
Ok, thx

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding low speed consumption JLR design is different from Daimler's or Audi's, since the two electrical engines are always running, the power being evenly distributed all the time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
emgf said:
Regarding low speed consumption JLR design is different from Daimler's or Audi's, since the two electrical engines are always running, the power being evenly distributed all the time.
Yes. All in all a total failure. An EV that cannot be driven efficient is a disaster.
"Inefficient at any speed"

·
Registered
127 Posts
In fact, the reporting from Bjorn and others suggests that the I-PACE is maybe 25% less efficient than the Teslas in terms of KWH/km. Which still means it is much more efficient than fossil fuels, whether you're measuring by money or by carbon.

There's a huge class of people like me, who normally drive mostly around town. Otherwise my regular outings are ~40km 1-way for recreation, and ~230km 1-way for a couple of days at head office. I don't think my driving pattern is that weird, and the I-Pace will be massively cheaper than my old 3.0L Audi. I don't detect anything disastrous, what am I missing?

·
Registered
755 Posts
But why make the I-Pace a lot more inefficient if you can make it just as efficient as Tesla? Is it the old British habbit of doing things different just to stand out of the crowd? Teslas patents and technology is open and widely known, so why not copy their driveline instead of making something worse?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Because it must drive like a Jag. In case of a ICE car everyone understands why a sportier car has higher consumption. Why do we think that a BEV has to be different in that? Furthermore, we assume that the permanent dual motors are responsible for higher consumption but is it really? No one has a solid clue. I wanted something different from Tesla and this is by far a very versatile and sexy looking car. I don't care to charge 10 minutes a week more for that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Range is ok for my daily use also, but consumption is too high. Its disappointing.
My dealer says there will be an OTA-update in December which is regarding range. Hopefully they've managed to shave of a couple of %s. And if they overachieve on charging speed(120kw) I can absolutely live with it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is charging at 32A : 230V x 32A = 7,36 KW, the maximum AC charging speed of the I Pace

1 - 20 of 31 Posts