Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Possible to specify maximum state of charge?

25K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  ****** 
#1 ·
Is it at all possible to limit maximum amount of charge when charging? Like stop charging when 80% full? If so, how?

#2 ·
Not directly as far as I know. You can set a stop time so guesstimate it or get an EVSE that has more functionality to handle it for you. These a theory that it coming based on images of InControl that have it....

#3 ·
That's what Jaguar USA told me when I questioned their charging features. They rely on the owner buying a Chargepoint L2 to control charging.
Ehhhh... Not the right way to do it. Not every place they charge will have a Chargepoint they can program.

i-Pace needs;
Charge level programming, or just a 90% point so we get max regen immediately.
Departure based charging. You tell it when you want to leave, and it makes sure it's charged. This also preheats the battery since they get warmer when charging.
GPS location based charging. Only your home probably needs a late night Time Of Use charging window, other places should charge immediately.
Amperage based charging. For those with Demand Based electrical tariffs or more than one EVSE on a circuit.
Display of charging kW, and volts/amps would be nice as well. This helps estimate when using a 3-ph power source.

#4 ·
You think Jaguar will implement any of those excellent ideas from McRat?

Charge level limit is a must. However, we don't know exactly what charging to 100% actually means for the I-Pace. At a guess, Jaguar leave a bit spare at the top and at the bottom.

#5 ·
Chewy said:

Charge level limit is a must. However, we don't know exactly what charging to 100% actually means for the I-Pace. At a guess, Jaguar leave a bit spare at the top and at the bottom.
I filled out their questionnaire and hinted that they need to polish their Charging.
But I also stated that JLR needs to give the owners a place to submit 'bug fixes' directly to JLR. The reason? EV owners are more tech savvy on average. The data is probably going to be helpful. Secondly, if you have a place to voice your opinion, you are happier with a product, hence why EVERYBODY now has a rating and comment dept. It's psych-ops tech. If you feel somebody is listening to you, you are less stressed.

Will they implement? No idea. Tesla and GM did at first and it was effective.

#6 ·
McRat said:
Chewy said:

I filled out their questionnaire and hinted that they need to polish their Charging.
But I also stated that JLR needs to give the owners a place to submit 'bug fixes' directly to JLR. The reason? EV owners are more tech savvy on average. The data is probably going to be helpful. Secondly, if you have a place to voice your opinion, you are happier with a product, hence why EVERYBODY now has a rating and comment dept. It's psych-ops tech. If you feel somebody is listening to you, you are less stressed.

Bug fixes and feature changes/additions.

You're right, there is no obviousness way to inform Jaguar of issues/requests for the car. By implementing the ability to provide OTA software updates, Jaguar must inform owners what updates are available and what fixes/changes have been implemented.

There is no info on how the OTA updates are implemented. As an example, yesterday I was informed that a new release for the Infotainment System was available that was supposed to speed things up, S18C is the the version in my car, S18D is the new version. As I have V14.2 telematics, OTA updates should be supported. However, even with my car connected to my home WiFi, no update has occurred and the car tells me no update is available.

#7 ·
McRat said:
Chewy said:

Tesla has an in-car option to "report" a bug.. press the voice control button on steering wheel, start with "bug report" and talk.
Nice thing is that at the same time certain data form the car is available (active (=send) or passive (by request) given that logs stay available for a certain period. When I get a serious looking error message while driving I just call Tesla Service and while on the phone they look into the car-system to check for any faults.Based on that they advice concerning next steps. One time I was asked to pull over. Next they did send me a bug-fix OTA. After ten minutes problem was solved and I continued my travel. Should be nice if Jaguar would have the same option.

Unfortunately there is not a functionality available to upload feature requests and let people vote or something like that..
Now and then Elon Musk sends a tweet asking for anything Tesla owners would like to have.. If he agrees it makes sense it usually gets implemented over time.. Don't now who at JLR should or could play this role -;)

#9 ·
Yes, Tesla does have some advantages to the other options available today. And they have a 10 year head start on some of the tech.
After comparing the advantages of the Teslas vs the i-Pace, I chose the i-Pace and at this point I'm very happy with the decision at 1,200 miles.
What sold me?
The interior is more human compatible than the Teslas, regardless of price. Functionality of the interior is far better. This is pretty important since a useful interior is major benefit.
I don't need to play with the center LCD for normal operation. Everything I need is on the dash, steering wheel, HUD, or knobs.
The autosteering 'nag' doesn't come on as often, and there is no penalty box that I know of.

When you add 360° view, HUD NAV and Autosteering status, good auto-wipers, good auto-highbeam, blindspot side mirror icons, charges to 100% by default, charge port in front, great stereo system, shorter OAL yet has good headroom in the back seats and more comfortable seating, and has lots of passenger and driver storage area and USB/12v ports, you come up with a more useful car.

Bling? The body has better styling for 2018. At least a dozen people have come up and complimented the car, and were stunned when I told them it was an EV. The interior looks like a luxury car.

Will Jaguar catch up with the OTA technology? Perhaps in time. But a very well designed car is correct when delivered and should not need updates more than once a year max. Neither Tesla or Jaguar can claim that though.

In the end, I want a car that does everything as advertised without needing updates.

#11 ·
Spot on with your comments McRat. And it drives like a dream. Actually feels and handles like a car.

Tesla has the head start on tech, but Jaguar wins hands down on class, style, build quality, luxury, road handling, drivability, and useability. The car itself is pretty much perfect, though lack of a rear wiper and the cheap thumbwheel on the steering wheel could have been better thought out. The software issues can be sorted by OTA updates over time.

I've done just over 2000 miles now and find it better as I get to know the car.

I am getting around 230 to 250 miles on a full charge which should improve in the summer.

#12 ·
Chewy said:

When you look at the Power Meter at the top of the round 'speedometer', you will notice to the left side, a green radial line when charged at 100%-95%. This is the regen limit. Watch it move while you drive and then it disappears. So it has some regen at 100% which means the battery is not truly at 100%.

All EVs have a bottom buffer to stop them from 'bricking' the battery when parked on empty. Some, like the Chevrolet Volt, Opel AmperaE?, where the bottom buffer is quite large to allow for max acceleration with an 'empty' battery.
But we have seen examples (see Bjorn Nyland's rescue video of a Tesla MX, that lost about 1/3 of it's capacity when parked for 5 days) where some EVs need it more than others.

Some EVs (not sure if Tesla fixed this), will not charge quickly if you let the battery go below 5%. Some folk have been stranded for quite awhile because the bottom buffer is too small.

#13 ·
Chewy said:
Spot on with your comments McRat. And it drives like a dream. Actually feels and handles like a car.

Tesla has the head start on tech, but Jaguar wins hands down on class, style, build quality, luxury, road handling, drivability, and useability. The car itself is pretty much perfect, though lack of a rear wiper and the cheap thumbwheel on the steering wheel could have been better thought out. The software issues can be sorted by OTA updates over time.

I've done just over 2000 miles now and find it better as I get to know the car.

I am getting around 230 to 250 miles on a full charge which should improve in the summer.
Absolutely, I agree. Every time I decide to 'put the spurs' to the i-Pace it plasters a big grin on my face. I'm an amateur racer who is used to high powered V8 sportscars. But I didn't buy another two door 200mph car either. I bought a fun car for reasonable speeds that doubles as a luxury sedan.

There are some areas the i-Pace needs refinement, but I knew that going into it. First Year builds always come up with quirks, but I'm not disappointed, warts and all.

If I drive like a civilized human, I'm getting the same range you are. But... I like to play also. :twisted:

#14 ·
Ok, Jag. Listen up. THIS is how it SHOULD work:

A. Your car should know/learn when it's "at home" and learn/remember the capacity of your home charger. And, when you're charging away, it should know by location what the likely capacity of the charging station you're at is.

B. There should be a way in the Car & App to specify preferred charging hours for your HOME charger. A 24 x 7 grid of Yes/No (preferred charging hour). When you are away from home, this table should be ignored and ALL hours be assumed "preferred".

C. When you plug in, you should be able to specify the maximum charge % you want to get to, and the departure time you expect. If it is not possible to charge to that level in the time (based on the power of the charger you know is where the car is) you should notify the driver.

D. As soon as the car reaches the desired SOC, turn off the power from the charger until it's time to pre-condition.

E. As soon as you plug in, if this is a preferred hour (or you are away from home) the charger should be on. Try to get as close to the desired SOC as possible as soon as possible during preferred hours. If it is NOT a preferred hour, determine if there are enough preferred hours to get to the desired SOC before the departure time. If not, then use whatever time you predict to have the charger on during the earliest non-preferred hours. Again, trying to get to the desired SOC as soon as possible, but using preferred hours as much as possible.

This is not that complicated a thing to code. I have done it in a spreadsheet. My current method is to use my Alexa to remind me when to unplug and my "delay timer" on my charger to tell my car when to start. This is silly, as the car is a rolling computer and should be able to control this.

#15 ·
BMW made available their 'smart' charging with the updated i3 (3yrs after launch) in early 2018. It's buggy as hell and sometimes my car fails to charge overnight :oops:

Yes Jag should improve their charging capabilities - but give them some time. At least with OTA they can deliver the features. BMW doesn't offer OTA

#16 ·
McRat said:
Yes, Tesla does have some advantages to the other options available today. And they have a 10 year head start on some of the tech.
After comparing the advantages of the Teslas vs the i-Pace, I chose the i-Pace and at this point I'm very happy with the decision at 1,200 miles.
What sold me?
The interior is more human compatible than the Teslas, regardless of price. Functionality of the interior is far better. This is pretty important since a useful interior is major benefit.
I don't need to play with the center LCD for normal operation. Everything I need is on the dash, steering wheel, HUD, or knobs.
The autosteering 'nag' doesn't come on as often, and there is no penalty box that I know of.

When you add 360° view, HUD NAV and Autosteering status, good auto-wipers, good auto-highbeam, blindspot side mirror icons, charges to 100% by default, charge port in front, great stereo system, shorter OAL yet has good headroom in the back seats and more comfortable seating, and has lots of passenger and driver storage area and USB/12v ports, you come up with a more useful car.

Bling? The body has better styling for 2018. At least a dozen people have come up and complimented the car, and were stunned when I told them it was an EV. The interior looks like a luxury car.

Will Jaguar catch up with the OTA technology? Perhaps in time. But a very well designed car is correct when delivered and should not need updates more than once a year max. Neither Tesla or Jaguar can claim that though.

In the end, I want a car that does everything as advertised without needing updates.
I wrote a command yesterday explaining why I think OTA updates are needed and what difference it makes to my 2013 Tesla.
But where is this reply ? Somebody took it away... Is this a standard policy on this forum,?

#17 ·
EDi99 said:
I wrote a command yesterday explaining why I think OTA updates are needed and what difference it makes to my 2013 Tesla.
But where is this reply ? Somebody took it away... Is this a standard policy on this forum,?
I doubt anyone deleted your post without Messaging you.

In any case, what did OTA do for your 2013 other than deliver features you paid for already? Did it fix the G1 door handles? The Center Display hardware failures? The motor bearing design? The drivetrain overheating after <8 minutes on the track? Lack of One Foot Driving? Low city efficiency?

If I bought a microwave oven and box said it will make popcorn, but I had to wait a year for an OTA kludge to make it work, I'd be angry.

Tesla owners see that as the Bright Future For Consumer Goods.

#18 ·
McRat said:
EDi99 said:
I doubt anyone deleted your post without Messaging you.

In any case, what did OTA do for your 2013 other than deliver features you paid for already? Did it fix the G1 door handles? The Center Display hardware failures? The motor bearing design? The drivetrain overheating after <8 minutes on the track? Lack of One Foot Driving? Low city efficiency?

If I bought a microwave oven and box said it will make popcorn, but I had to wait a year for an OTA kludge to make it work, I'd be angry.

Tesla owners see that as the Bright Future For Consumer Goods.
Most of your arguments in favor of the Jag in your original post are rather subjective - that's fine. We're not equal. -l;)

But let's see&#8230;

"The interior is more human compatible than the Teslas, regardless of price. Functionality of the interior is far better. This is pretty important since a useful interior is major benefit."

Don't get this point. After 5 years and driving 270.000km I never thought the interior of my Tesla being "less human" or even "not useful".

" When you add 360° view, HUD NAV" - fine, I do not feel the need for this, never missed HUD NAV, all the info is behind my steering wheel.
"and Autosteering status" - Autopilot is much better than any alternative (read all the tests)
", good auto-wipers, good auto-highbeam, -" - as is the case with my car, perhaps wipers might be different for now as it's using AI and still learning and improving over time. auto-highbeam works perfect
"blindspot side mirror icons," - blindspot is part of Autopilot - not only are the cars in the blindspot visible in front of me, but the car just refuses to change lanes by itself if there is another car in the blindspot
" charges to 100% by default" - don't think this is an advantage - in a Tesla I'm in control to set (and change) this to any level - which works as a default (I choose, not the car or Tesla)
" charge port in front, " - great obviously - really miss that -;) (mine is in the back)
"great stereo system, " - feel the same in my car, but I'm no audio-expert
"shorter OAL yet has good headroom in the back seats and more comfortable seating, " definitely not a strong point in a Tesla
"and has lots of passenger and driver storage area " - Storage area: Tesla: (max.) 1,730 liter - I-Pace 1.502 liter

"and USB/12v ports, you come up with a more useful car. - "
USB - I-Pace: 6, Tesla 4
12V - I-Pace 3, Tesla 2
The I-Pace is a clear winner here !

"Bling? The body has better styling for 2018. At least a dozen people have come up and complimented the car, and were stunned when I told them it was an EV. The interior looks like a luxury car. "

"Rather" subjective - but had - and still have - exactly same experience of course.

You forgot to mention:
Range/Efficiency - we all know the facts
Intuitively and performance of car system - played with it in the Jag. Need lots of improvements (let's leave it to that)
Charging - I charge AC anywhere I like, at up to 74 KM/hour - car is "fully" charged every morning. Tesla provides over 10.000 AC chargers at hotels, resto's etc. free to use
DC charging - 4.400 fast chargers at over 200 locations in Europe - they all work, guaranteed. Availability and location is fully integrated in the in-car NAV. Just leave - no planning needed - wherever you want to go in Europe.

Now on OTA

Of course the car should be as promised at delivery - that includes the promised range and charging facilities etc. We agree on this. This was the case with both my cars (2013-P85 and 2018-S100D)

OTA is there for two reasons - one of them you seem not to understand yet. Modern cars (like almost anything made today) are all about software. There is no bug-free software - does not exist. With my last ICE (Volvo V70) I had to go to the dealer for an update, the car was away for a day - and I was charged €70 for downloading and installing the software. In 2014 - after owning my P85 for 6 months - there was an error message while driving. I called Tesla, they looked into the car-system on the spot and asked me to pull over. Thereafter they pushed a fix, the software got installed and after 10 minutes I continued my journey.

This is not about "Bright Future For Consumer Goods." - this is the world today..

I get circa 6 updates per year - pushed to the car. Also get a message on my phone that it is available, and I start the installation OTA from the phone sitting on the couch. The user--interface has changed & improved twice thoroughly. My P85 (we use it as a second car now ) has the same software as any new car leaving the factory today. As such, it hardly feels old.

You asked: "In any case, what did OTA do for your 2013 other than deliver features you paid for already? " Thereafter, you ask for hardware improvements. Obviously they usually do not get solved OTA.

Did it fix the G1 door handles? - experienced an issue once in 270K km, was fixed by Tesla for free (is hardware)
The Center Display hardware failures? - have none
The motor bearing design? - the drive train was changed twice in the beginning (for free) - no one has issues like that anymore
The drivetrain overheating after <8 minutes on the track? - I bought my Tesla for 50K km's per year for commuting and vacations, not for racing on a track. Is not an issue - for nobody

Lack of One Foot Driving? - Tesla has full one-pedal driving
Low city efficiency? - no idea if this is an issue with the I-Page. Never heard about this as an issue in relation to Tesla

OTA updates is not only about bug-fixing, but also about improvements, on top of what was originally promised and delivered in my first Tesla (2013). To name a few: improved unlocking doors, 10% more efficiency, valet-mode, Spotify, Intune, anti-theft features, upgrade to LTE, improved battery-management, modern up to date user-interface, improved integration NAV+chargers, visibility of destination chargers etc.. All for free - in this way it really takes a long time before one gets the feeling the car is getting old&#8230; Ans I never have to leaf the car at the dealer just for an update... that's so old school..

#19 ·
If I understand correctly, the battery should not be charged over 80%. If that is the case, how do we prevent this for happening when my car is getting charged over night? Do I have to set an alarm to wake me up during the night :shock:

Secondly, I get an error when trying to stop charging my car with the incontrol app.

Would be nice when CRC@Jaguar responds to this question.

#20 ·
Although I can stop charging via the app, charging continues automatically at midnight. Another bug? Resulting in a 100% charge anyway :-(

#21 ·
McRat said:

I'd argue that you're totally missing the point with that paragraph.

Firstly, Tesla's frequent OTA updates have very little to do with the car not being designed well. The updates have added a large number of new features and technology as well as quality of life improvements. Turning the front facing camera into an integrated dashcam is just one example of this. The hardware was already there and someone made the suggestion to Musk on Twitter. A few months later the feature was pushed out. That's just one example out of many. Good luck getting anything like that from JLR.

The other aspect of OTA software updates is security related issues. There will ALWAYS be bugs and there will always be security related bugs. A robust OTA update system is the ultimate protection against vehicle software exploitation. Once the vulnerability is disclosed the manufacturer can patch it and push out an update in a manner of days. When Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek discovered a serious flaw in the Jeep which allowed them to basically control any vehicle remotely what followed was a great example of how bad it can get. Crysler literally ended up mailing usb sticks to owners with a patch.

If it's one thing we can say about the software in the I-Pace is that it's not well made. I'm hoping JLR and Panasonic are committed to improving things and at the very least fix the most critical issues. I think we will be pretty much stuck with a laggy infotainment system forever and is a sacrifice I'm simply prepared to try and live with.

#22 ·
I assume you already have your charger, but using a Zappi or a Wallbbox charger, the charger can be set to charge at specific times, so a quick bit of simple arithmetic allows you to get your car to the desired state of charge. The app SHOULD be able to do it, but I ordered the Wallbox charger because I'm not hugely confident that they'll get it fixed any time soon.

#23 ·
McRat said:
That's what Jaguar USA told me when I questioned their charging features. They rely on the owner buying a Chargepoint L2 to control charging.
Ehhhh... Not the right way to do it. Not every place they charge will have a Chargepoint they can program.

i-Pace needs;
Charge level programming, or just a 90% point so we get max regen immediately.
Departure based charging. You tell it when you want to leave, and it makes sure it's charged. This also preheats the battery since they get warmer when charging.
GPS location based charging. Only your home probably needs a late night Time Of Use charging window, other places should charge immediately.
Amperage based charging. For those with Demand Based electrical tariffs or more than one EVSE on a circuit.
Display of charging kW, and volts/amps would be nice as well. This helps estimate when using a 3-ph power source.
Agree to the wishlist, would be great if you could simply define an amperage based charging profile in time including a max SoC target. For different tariffs during the day but also when you have to share the amps with the furnace, tumble drier etc this would be great. But ok, so far even the timed charging is not even working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.