Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

pre-conditioning - climate and battery

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Cineman 
#1 ·
As there are many threads now in the forum with a lot of conflicting information about this topic, could I request a definitive response from Jaguar to the questions I ask below.

1. Can pre-conditioning of the battery occur when the battery is less than 100%?
2. Can pre-conditioning of the battery occur using a granny charger and under what circumstances?
3. When pre-conditioning is requested without the car being plugged in, does it always only bring the cabin to temperature without heating the batteries?
4. If climate is requested via the remote App, does this also pre-condition the battery, and if so, under what circumstances?

Thank you for making a brilliant car, and I look forward to clarification of this mysterious topic.

#2 ·
it's been a month now. I guess this part of the forum is not visited by JCR. You'd think they would be just a little bit interested in their customers...

#3 ·
Hello,

concerning the pre-conditioning of the car, there seems to a limit of 30% or 25% of SOC.
The battery seems to be (pre)-conditioned on every charge cycle. Regardless if it is 20A AC.
As far as I measured, this takes 3-5kWh and seems to be one of the reasons why AC charging is
so inefficient (10% loss is normal, but the I-Pace is up to 20%).

CU

Jens

#4 ·
While we wait for a formal reply from Jaguar Customer Service, my understanding is:

1. Can pre-conditioning of the battery occur when the battery is less than 100%?
=>No
2. Can pre-conditioning of the battery occur using a granny charger and under what circumstances?
=>Yes, if charged at 100%. And if there is sufficient time (4 hours or more)
3. When pre-conditioning is requested without the car being plugged in, does it always only bring the cabin to temperature without heating the batteries?
=>Yes.
4. If climate is requested via the remote App, does this also pre-condition the battery, and if so, under what circumstances?
No=> Climate via the remote app (or Wattcat/Mypace) only preconditions the cabin. For the battery you need to program a Planned Departure.

#6 ·
When will Jaguar realise that Customer Relations is a very important part of the modern world? 7 weeks now since I posted this simple query...love the word "escalated".. is that like an escalator that just does round and round.. Dan - hello - anyone there?

#7 ·
Cineman said:
When will Jaguar realise that Customer Relations is a very important part of the modern world? 7 weeks now since I posted this simple query...love the word "escalated".. is that like an escalator that just does round and round.. Dan - hello - anyone there?
It may need us to re-iterate to them that EVs are still being purchased by keen individual who are a little more savvy when it comes to technology and if JLR don't want to loose that customer base, they need to put more of an effort in the tech they promise.

true SOTA
Regular improvement and updates
Tech focus

#8 ·
fa147 said:
Cineman said:
It may need us to re-iterate to them that EVs are still being purchased by keen individual who are a little more savvy when it comes to technology and if JLR don't want to loose that customer base, they need to put more of an effort in the tech they promise.

true SOTA
Tech focus
It is not only Jaguar, to me it seems that the car manufacturers think we are desperate to buy their products. Sure if you by a Toyota Corolla you are not an enthusiast (to put it mildly) but when you buy a Jaguar and even Jaguars first EV you have a keen interest in cars and are willing to pay extra.

Rule 1,2 and 3 in business is that the customer is always right, the customer may be a moron but the customer pays the bills and must be treated with respect and not stonewalled.

Why do I get flashbacks to HGG ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon

#9 ·
fa147 said:
Cineman said:

true SOTA
Tech focus
👍
Proper bug tracker to which owners have access and can contribute.
Formal release plan with the errors being addressed in each release.
Would actually be nice if there was any evidence of quality assurance and testing.

And PLEASE sort your dealerships out.

#10 ·
hi all,

i could share the following observations:

departure time for sunday set to 09:40 am (repeat every week)

with wallbox (evtun accelev 6kW):
* precon battery from about 7:30 to 8:30 with a rate of 5.3kW (that's what the display on charger and wattcat says)
* start warmup cabin 8:10 (also about 4kW to 5kW)

with the jaguar 220V cable for wall plug (cable that was included):
* no precon of battery
* start warump cabin 8:10 but the car takes some energy out of the battery as well, so after this "wall plug precon" the battery shows below 100% soc (although has been 100% before cabin warup started)

without the car plugged in at all (and in this case soc 73%):
* start warmup cabin 8:10 and after temp reached soc was 71%

worth to say these "tests" have been done at about the same environment temperature between -4° and +1° centigrade

so for me it seems my car does battery precon only if a more powerful charger is plugged in and needs also a more powerful charger to not need additional energy from the battery - the 220v included cable seems to deliver to less power for it.

br
juergen

#12 ·
Thanks Jue, that's interesting stuff.. and thanks to the others that have posted their thoughts here on my questions.. everyone except "Dan" from Jaguar who said he was "escalating" this question... around a month ago.. It's still a mystery as to whether a "granny charger" (the 220v charger supplied with the car) will precondition the batteries if they are 100% with a pre-condition set time. Your post seem to indicate probably not, but others elsewhere have said it "will" or "might".. This is of relevance to me as I do a lot of 200 mile journeys winter and summer and at the moment see no need to install a 7kw charger as there are 4 day gaps in between these journeys.. So I am TRYING to get a simple answer to some simple questions but JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS seem like the kind of relations that most of us would dread... ie the kind that won't talk to you!!

#13 ·
Cineman said:
Thanks Jue, that's interesting stuff.. and thanks to the others that have posted their thoughts here on my questions.. everyone except "Dan" from Jaguar who said he was "escalating" this question... around a month ago.. It's still a mystery as to whether a "granny charger" (the 220v charger supplied with the car) will precondition the batteries if they are 100% with a pre-condition set time. Your post seem to indicate probably not, but others elsewhere have said it "will" or "might".. This is of relevance to me as I do a lot of 200 mile journeys winter and summer and at the moment see no need to install a 7kw charger as there are 4 day gaps in between these journeys.. So I am TRYING to get a simple answer to some simple questions but JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS seem like the kind of relations that most of us would dread... ie the kind that won't talk to you!!
Cineman,

Why don't you simply buy a 240v 16A charger? I found several decent ones in on Amazon for around €200, it charges almost twice as fast (thanks to less losses), the considerably lower charging losses make it pay for itself over time and it does certainly precondition the HV battery.

You do need a serious Schuko plug though, 3.8kW for hours and hours is too much for a generic household plug.

#14 ·
Good idea Grunt - that is exactly what I should do.. Any links to what you are thinking of.. and what is a "serious schuko" plug - I assume that would need to be fitted instead of the 13amp plug socket?
Cheers,
Oliver S.

#15 ·
I have now received an official reply to my queries from Dan at CRC with a PM.. I won't reproduce it here as unfortunately none of my questions was answered (about pre-conditioning ) - It is a cut & paste answer about charging and does not address the fundamental question about battery pre-conditioning or even mention the topic! 7 weeks for a reply where the questions weren't even read..
Sad really... but it's a great car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.