Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday 11th February 2022

1. I can’t find the ‘Pre-Heat’ or ‘Pre condition’ battery button or setting while on route to a charger…is this me or does it exist? (Not the stationary overnight timed one).

2. Charged for one hour and ten minutes and left the charger with 330km at 3c degrees. Drove 540m in two minutes and parked. GOM says I have 312km left?!! 18km of potential energy used on a 540m journey. Is this reality at this temperature or has my GOM got a hangover? I added 35km in that time and 18km were wipped out in a two minute drive (No AC, No Max de-mist, No Fan, No heated seats).

3. Which is better for battery life… Lots of little charges every day keeping her topped up to 90% (as seen on the display) or one weekly charge from 50% to 90%? I only use a 7kW street charger and don’t have a garage or forecourt to plug into.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1. No such button exists. You can heat the battery by hard acceleration but that burns up Kw.
2. I just look at the green line and forget the numbers.
3. I think letting the battery drop below 50 and charging back up to 100 is ok. that suits my off peak a 7hour charge.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The only way that I know to pre heat the battery before charging is
1- turn off heating the cabin (the heater can only do one thing at a time : heat the battery or heat the cabin. I sometime see that the battery is heating up more rapidely when I do this. Not all the time. I don't know why.
2- play "yo-yo" with the accelerator (kick hard for 1 or 2 sec, then release the pedal in high regen mode for 1 or 2 sec). If you can do this for 10 min in a safe place (no one behind you), you can warm up the battery from 0 to 20c in 10 min. You will consume 3 to 4kw to do this, but that is the price to pay to charge at 80kw rather than 30kw.

I learnt to stop looking at the GOM, and focus now on battery SOC and average consumption, and I do the math myself.
In cold condition, I also charge from 10-15% to 50% of SOC, then I leave to the next charger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1- turn off heating the cabin (the heater can only do one thing at a time : heat the battery or heat the cabin. I sometime see that the battery is heating up more rapidely when I do this. Not all the time. I don't know why.
2- play "yo-yo" with the accelerator (kick hard for 1 or 2 sec, then release the pedal in high regen mode for 1 or 2 sec). If you can do this for 10 min in a safe place (no one behind you), you can warm up the battery from 0 to 20c in 10 min. You will consume 3 to 4kw to do this, but that is the price to pay to charge at 80kw rather than 30kw.

I learnt to stop looking at the GOM, and focus now on battery SOC and average consumption, and I do the math myself.
In cold condition, I also charge from 10-15% to 50% of SOC, then I leave to the next charger.
Hi Dernotte

How do you (where?) see the battery temperature and what is the ideal temp for the battery to start receiving a charge?
Thank you

·
Registered
EV 320 Austria Edition, MY 2022, eiger grey, black pack, …
29 Posts

Dernotte, don‘t you think that forcing high current out of a could battery at kick down to warm up the battery, may have the same adverse effects like high current charging at low temperatures?

·
Registered
809 Posts
A week ago ambient temperature 8C driving at Max 70mph arrived at charger with 30miles on GOM, charging ramped up to 80KW quickly, had a drink and a bite to eat, left with 80%, probably 45mins. Chargers are getting better and more reliable - at a price!.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dernotte, don‘t you think that forcing high current out of a could battery at kick down to warm up the battery, may have the same adverse effects like high current charging at low temperatures?
Probably, but you don’t do that 3 times a day, every day, so… once in a while will not damage the battery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts