Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
The I Pace battery has a heating plate below the cell packs rather than an inter-cell arrangement as Tesla uses. It isn't as efficient and suffers from heat sinking through the battery frame. 30 minutes preconditioning in cold weather is not enough to bring the battery to temperature and heat the interior. The best and most efficient winter solution is a heated garage. Outside in cold weather three or four preconditioning cycles are needed to warm the battery. A car cover also helps as it stops cold air passing beneath the car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Captain.Plummet said:
The best and most efficient winter solution is a heated garage.
I agree. Even a non heated garage improves the battery condition. My cat sleeps in a non heated garage 2 levels below ground. Yesterday morning the outside air temperature was 4C and the battery temperature was 13C and this after nearly 48h not using the car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seems to me then, on a 7kw home charger, to set my departure time a little early, so the battery can recharge a little after the heating period?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have read reports of a loss of 2% of HV battery, after the complete battery and cabin preconditioning cycle, when plugged into a 7kWh charger.
I'd assume this is ambient temperature dependant.
I'm not sure an earlier time would do it, as not sure what happens after the pre-con cycle. if it just reverts to charging, then you are right. If you were passionate enough to want 100% charge at the start of your journey, you'd possibly need to end the charging cycle and maybe start another one - without a departure time to ensure charging only and holding at 100%
(All this assumes your battery is capable of charging to 100% and has not degraded over time, I suppose).

Personally, I think you are good to go after the charge & full vehicle pre-con!

Fluff said:
Seems to me then, on a 7kw home charger, to set my departure time a little early, so the battery can recharge a little after the heating period?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Fluff said:
I confirm that after setting the departure time at 9am yesterday (-10c outside), the app was reporting a remaining 11 min of battery charge at 9:01. I guess the 7kw cabin heater, and battery preconditionning sucked more than what the 7kw charger was able to give.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
dernotte said:
I confirm that after setting the departure time at 9am yesterday (-10c outside), the app was reporting a remaining 11 min of battery charge at 9:01. I guess the 7kw cabin heater, and battery preconditionning sucked more than what the 7kw charger was able to give.
It was explained to me by someone inside JLR that the precondition function does not actually draw power directly from the charger. It is powered by the battery, but as the battery drops the charger kicks in to start topping it back up. Might explain the slightly less than 100% SOC afterwards.

·
Registered
204 Posts
badgb21 said:
I have read reports of a loss of 2% of HV battery, after the complete battery and cabin preconditioning cycle, when plugged into a 7kWh charger.
I'd assume this is ambient temperature dependant.
I'm not sure an earlier time would do it, as not sure what happens after the pre-con cycle. if it just reverts to charging, then you are right. If you were passionate enough to want 100% charge at the start of your journey, you'd possibly need to end the charging cycle and maybe start another one - without a departure time to ensure charging only and holding at 100%
(All this assumes your battery is capable of charging to 100% and has not degraded over time, I suppose).

Personally, I think you are good to go after the charge & full vehicle pre-con!

Fluff said:
My personal experience would support the preconditioning cycle using the battery rather than the grid directly. On my 7kWh charger, with a 100% SOC followed by a precondition I usually see a range drop (GOM) of 3 or 4 miles, but SOC stays at 100% or sometimes drops to 99% if it's really cold.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Terry60 said:
ANBO said:
Terry60 said:
The trip before last, the car got 2.01mpkWh out and 2.05 back
This week in slightly worse weather and as near identical driving style as usual the figures were 2.53 and 2.10.

The difference I put down to the fact that the car was plugged in and at 100% this week and a 26% efficiency increase occurred despite having limited KERS. The battery had apparently cooled during its hour parked up so that the return trip was only marginally more efficient

... granny charging is perfectly capable of heating the battery.
Thanks. Based on the user guide stating "plugged into a power source" I would also say there is no reason why the granny charger would not support preconditioning, other than that total power available might have the car prioritize charging, leading to your experience this week when the car indeed reached 100%.

Suppose also total time needed to precondition and cabin heating with our without heat pump could influence that experience on lower power. None the less another concern removed from opting for low power charging in our communal garage.

And some testing to do on the public network to see if I can prevent the charger turning off before preconditioning and/or cabin heating to start.
From my understanding of the physics and chemistry of battery charging, it would make perfect sense for the charger (granny or otherwise) to prioritize heating the battery in order that the battery achieve its most efficient charging temperature as early as possible.
EV Bjorn's recent cold weather camping out experiment would seem to support that.
The M3 began charging at high level due to the Tesla sat-nav feature of anticipating a charging stop by pre-heating the battery en-route, whereas the i-Pace EV320 started very low but surprised him a little while later by achieving unexpectedly high charge rate once its battery had matched the Tesla's temperature.
This morning, same trip but colder ambient, I preconditioned the car for an hour with the granny charger active but vehicle at <100% and my outbound and return journeys were 1.96 and 2.08 m/kWh.
So it seems that the granny charger doesn't attempt to prioritize battery heating to achieve faster charging at an earlier stage, but only heats if the HV battery is already at 100%
I'd imagine that's not the most efficient strategy, but I guess JLR have done their sums and know better.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm resuming this old thread on preconditioning as I'm having an issue with my MY21 car that seemed to me I had not with the previuos MY20 (it's the first winter with the new car).

I set a schedule departure and connect the car to my wallbox (6.6kw). The car gets charged up to 100% well before the departure time but it's time to precondition the the cahrgin session is not resumed (the car is stuck in "initializing") so only the battery is used to precon so no battery precon, only hot air in the cabin and SOC below 100% when I take the car.

I tried to use the granny charger as I was conviced the stupid Enel X wallbox was to blame for that but actually I got the same result. So it could be a car problem and specifically a MY21 or newer as the previuos model had no problem.

Is anybody with a MY21/MY22 successfully resumed a charging session from a wallbox or a granny charger for preconditioning?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm resuming this old thread on preconditioning as I'm having an issue with my MY21 car that seemed to me I had not with the previuos MY20 (it's the first winter with the new car).

I set a schedule departure and connect the car to my wallbox (6.6kw). The car gets charged up to 100% well before the departure time but it's time to precondition the the cahrgin session is not resumed (the car is stuck in "initializing") so only the battery is used to precon so no battery precon, only hot air in the cabin and SOC below 100% when I take the car.

I tried to use the granny charger as I was conviced the stupid Enel X wallbox was to blame for that but actually I got the same result. So it could be a car problem and specifically a MY21 or newer as the previuos model had no problem.

Is anybody with a MY21/MY22 successfully resumed a charging session from a wallbox or a granny charger for preconditioning?
When I set a departure time the MY21 starts charging from the wallbox (3 phase 11 kW) several hours before theoretically 100% SoC could be reached. When 100% SoC is reached it stops drawing current from the wallbox. 30 minutes before the set departure time it starts drawing current from the wallbox again to precondition the cabin. If it's preconditioning the battery in the time between reaching 100% SoC and starting cabin preconditioning then it seems to be drawing the current for that from the battery itself.

We are planning to drive to the Dolomites this week so I can try to record more accurately how it behaves with a set departure time in colder ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was on the Dolomites last week by the way (San Cassiano), I just came back yesterday :).
So in your case the car is behaving correctly, it does not stuck on initializing after reaching 100%Soc and stopping the charge.... Uhmm, looks like some weird software problem on my car then.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to precondition the battery for the first time last week on my MY21 (Pivi Pro 3.0.0) and I am pretty certain that the battery did not precondition.

I set a departure time for 10.30 AM using the Jaguar Remote app and connected to my Andersen A2 7kW charger at 18.15 PM the previous evening. The charger recorded that it delivered 61.1 kWh over the next 9hr and at the end of this the remote app was reading 100% SoC (I was still awake at 03.00hr and remember checking this before I fell asleep!).

No more charge was delivered until 06.05hr when the charger switched back on for 22 min delivering 1.4kWh. I suspect that this was just a minor top up to keep the battery at 100% SoC.

At 10.00hr (i.e. 30 min before the set departure time), the cabin climate started and the charger delivered 2.2 kWh over 35min before switching off again.

I was slightly late departing, but before driving off at 11.05hr, Power Cruise Control recorded a battery capacity of 82.8 kWh (which tallies with a full SoC of 99-100% on the car display and a recorded SoH of 98% and assuming a full new battery capacity of 84.7 kWh). The outside temperature was 5 C, battery 8 C and cabin 17 C.

From the above, it is clear that no battery preconditioning took place, either directly via the wall charger nor indirectly via drawing energy from the battery. For that to happen, the wall charger would have recorded considerable energy delivery between 06.00 and 10.00hr to heat the battery to nearer 20 C. Others have shown that battery preconditioning starts 2-4hr before the set departure time and after 100% SoC (both conditions were met here).

I did not record what the car charging status was when the wall charger was not delivering charge but it is quite likely that it would have said “initialising” as that is the state the car displays at the end a timed charging session set on the wall charger app (as opposed to set via the Jaguar remote app or Pivi Pro).

Would be interested to hear if anybody has managed to precondition the battery on a MY21 running Pivi Pro 3.0.0), either using the remote app or directly using the Pivi Pro preconditioning screen.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried to precondition the battery for the first time last week on my MY21 (Pivi Pro 3.0.0) and I am pretty certain that the battery did not precondition.

I set a departure time for 10.30 AM using the Jaguar Remote app and connected to my Andersen A2 7kW charger at 18.15 PM the previous evening. The charger recorded that it delivered 61.1 kWh over the next 9hr and at the end of this the remote app was reading 100% SoC (I was still awake at 03.00hr and remember checking this before I fell asleep!).

No more charge was delivered until 06.05hr when the charger switched back on for 22 min delivering 1.4kWh. I suspect that this was just a minor top up to keep the battery at 100% SoC.

At 10.00hr (i.e. 30 min before the set departure time), the cabin climate started and the charger delivered 2.2 kWh over 35min before switching off again.

I was slightly late departing, but before driving off at 11.05hr, Power Cruise Control recorded a battery capacity of 82.8 kWh (which tallies with a full SoC of 99-100% on the car display and a recorded SoH of 98% and assuming a full new battery capacity of 84.7 kWh). The outside temperature was 5 C, battery 8 C and cabin 17 C.

From the above, it is clear that no battery preconditioning took place, either directly via the wall charger nor indirectly via drawing energy from the battery. For that to happen, the wall charger would have recorded considerable energy delivery between 06.00 and 10.00hr to heat the battery to nearer 20 C. Others have shown that battery preconditioning starts 2-4hr before the set departure time and after 100% SoC (both conditions were met here).

I did not record what the car charging status was when the wall charger was not delivering charge but it is quite likely that it would have said “initialising” as that is the state the car displays at the end a timed charging session set on the wall charger app (as opposed to set via the Jaguar remote app or Pivi Pro).

Would be interested to hear if anybody has managed to precondition the battery on a MY21 running Pivi Pro 3.0.0), either using the remote app or directly using the Pivi Pro preconditioning screen.
Some battery preconditioning may have taken place in this scenario. On departure you wrote that the battery temperature was 8 C this was 30 minutes after the planned departure time and at least 60 minutes after the battery preconditioning cycle may have finished.
It could also be that the battery preconditioning is only flagged by setting the departure time in Pivi rather than the app. There are some graphs in another thread here collected by @dernotte which show that the MY19 is capable of increasing the battery temperature while preconditioning by around 30 C (from -10 to +20 C) in an hour before departure.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts