Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the current (UK) What Car is trailing for their next edition (on sale June 14) 'Our full verdict on I-Pace... as we drive it for the first time' (presumably 'drive it' as in on our own & out on the open road and not just around an airport car park).

So it sounds like the press cars are likely to be available over the next, what, 2-3 weeks? And so more detailed independent road tests will hopefully start to appear in other print media, on YouTube etc as from early June.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The embargo ends 4th June. So reviews from then :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Was this the launch event in Portugal? I did speak to one dealer who attended - he couldn't say much but he did say - Wow! He also mentioned that the region braking feature was very cool.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AIUI there was a event to introduce dealers to the I-Pace in Portugal several weeks back, but this wasn't a press event. Maybe Portugal was also used for a more recent press event - I don't know - but let's not confuse the two.

·
Registered
148 Posts
An Spanisch magazin recently tweet that:
"We still can't tell you how this Jaguar I-PACE is doing. But we just tried it in Portugal and... Tesla should start to worry."

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interestingly, this first wave of reviews will be from the (majority of) journalists who will use a vendor-provided car. I suspect they all got a free trip to Portugal also. The really serious reviewers, e.g. Edmunds, insist on buying a car themselves. So if you (like me) have a deposit down and are waiting for some unbiased opinions before you pull the trigger (trigger not available to pull yet in Canada anyhow) you'll want to look through the barrage of coverage that will presumably arrive June 4th and filter out the puff pieces, looking for a real critical evaluation. It is clearly impossible that the car will be perfect, and I will be actively looking for writers who will be honest about both strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't imagine that the likes of eg Autogefühl (see their Youtube channel) will allow themselves to be bought off by the freebies. Their 'full' reviews are maybe overlong and a little idiosyncratic with their styling comments and obvious ideological dislike of leather, but on the whole they seem as comprehensive and unbiased as any I've seen.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't imagine the guys at Autocar, What Car? or Top Gear will be influenced by freebies either. They're all professional journalists working for highly respected publications. For me Autocar is the real authority, but Top Gear is the most amusing.

Neither do I imagine anything they are going to write will make me regret my decision to go ahead with a firm order on 1st March. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to reading what they and others will have to say!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Local evening pare wrote today that I-Pace can show if coffee maker still on at home but about drive and handling can't be wrote before 4th of June :) Also mentioned that cars for test drives might be in dealers after mid June.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mikew said:
I don't imagine the guys at Autocar, What Car? or Top Gear will be influenced by freebies either. They're all professional journalists working for highly respected publications. For me Autocar is the real authority, but Top Gear is the most amusing.
Hmm, not sure I'd agree - there's some rather shoddy journalism in Autocar these days. Sam Sheehan seems a particular culprit for his lack of attention to detail and willingness to swallow the car makers PR fluff..

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Same as makew except for the range. I ll be disapointed if its a lot less than they announced.
I know like others EV its already optimistic with WLTP but i really hope to be able to do 300 km at 130 km/h on highway.
But i doubt those journalits tested that already. It will be most in handling and feeling inside i guess.
Have to wait they can have it at least for a whole week-end ithout JLR behind them

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think these will be 'first drives', unless they have already been provided with cars for a proper test period back home. Maybe too early for that... next month more likely. Same time as the dealers get their demo vehicles.

Everything points to real world range being 220-240 miles. I'll be happy if I can get 200 miles with a reasonable safety margin left.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can't wait until 4th June..... looks like any doubts about its AWD capability will be addressed..... see 2nd picture on this tweet.

"Jaguar I-Pace. Embargo prevents me in telling you how it drives, but we visited some interesting places for any car, let alone electric!"

<TWITTER id="1000386786194022400" url="https://twitter.com/NicolL_CARmag/status/1000386786194022400"> </TWITTER>

1 - 20 of 250 Posts