Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Ipace deposit down for many months. I am considering cancelling based on price. Curious to get the thoughts of others. Jaguar is encouraging everybody to compare the Ipace to the Tesla X. They have got all the journalists making that favourable comparison on price which is very smart. However, I don't think that is the choice that anybody is considering. Most, if not nearly all, potential buyers are considering non EV alternatives. These are dramatically cheaper. I can buy a top of the line BMW X3 for £40-45K and save £20-30K over an IPace with equivalent spec.
My point is that Tesla could price very, very high because it was the only game in town for a few wealthy buyers who drank the Koolade. As other EVs emerge I think that there has to be a significant reduction in the £20-30K premium for the privilege of owning an EV (complete with range issues!)
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, me too I think the price is too high.
It is also ridiculous to compare the IPace with the Tesla Model X. So different those two cars.
But the main reason why I am not ordering yet, is that it has only 1 phase AC charging. As I charge over 90 % at home, this would be to slow for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Totally right.
Its too much. The spec I want - equal to my current (larger) Audi - is £75K!
As you say, £30K more than great cars the balance of which pays for a shed load of petrol.
I honestly thought Jaguar would have competed directly with the same size ICE's (Porsche Macan et al) and cleaned up. The E-Type and early Jags were renowned for value for money. That's not their plan. The comparison with the Tesla X is a non sequitur - it wasn't in my sights at all and is stupidly over-priced and totally nonfunctional for the UK. Many mugs will buy one then watch values plunge.
Honestly, this is my third try with JLR; the F-Pace, The Velar and now the I-Pace. I just cannot justify the silly prices - out of all order with the competitors. I guess you have to be a true aficionado to buy one. I've always been a German car buyer and wanted to change being pro-Brexit and proudly pro-British. They don't make that easy so we'll hold off until the Audi E-Tron and others come on line.
As usual .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

E tron pricing @ 80,000 eu/$99,000 = £70,000....doh!

"The SUV will start at 80,000 euros (~$99,000 USD) in Germany - with international availability and pricing coming later.

Audi has previously been saying that the e-tron quattro is between the Audi Q5 and Audi Q7 in terms of size and those vehicles have starting MSRPs of $41,000 and $49,000.

In short, I think it's not positioned too badly in terms of price, but I would like to start seeing legacy automakers price their all-electric vehicles closer to their gas-powered ones when they are in the same segments. I'm not asking for the world here, but instead of 50% difference, something closer to 25-30% would make more sense before accounting for gas savings".

https://electrek.co/2018/03/15/audi-e-tron-quattro-suv-all-electric-price/

Cheers,

·
Registered
186 Posts
Q7 in lowest-lowest edition costs 59 900 euro in Belgium. I-PACE starts at 78 990. So the Q7 is "only" 25% cheaper than the I-PACE (or 30% if you take the Q7 as base). If you don't like the 211PS diesel in the Q7, but want a more sporty version, you'd need the SQ7, which costs more than the I-PACE or E-tron.

Yes, a Q7 is an expensive car. Yes, an I-PACE is an expensive car. Yes, the I-PACE is smaller than the Q7, but even an SQ5 starts at 62000 euro.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All the premium car makers seem to be milking the EV cow. Once the novelty, and sparcity of must have models wears off prices should come down, but it's going to be a hard trick to pull off without pi**ing off the early birds who paid over the odds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Jaguar is a superb and classy car. No doubt. I accept the e-tron will be as expensive - the point was the competition might have brought the Audi and Mercedes into a more affordable price range for EV's. They may not, but I'm sure they'll try.
The Jaguar I-Pace might be a superb investment for a younger, wealthier clientele. Us older ones will not see the value in an investment that
a. will depreciate the same as an ICE, if not faster given the technology advances. (And we baby boomers have a lot of money!)
b. will not see us out in terms of value for money.
c. is not cost effective for such a capital outlay. Clearly.
d. could still be less "green" given the advances in petrol technology from the likes of Mazda, who claim the carbon advantage after manufacturing still lies with petrol.

New tech is always a chance to make money, as Jaguar clearly identified early.
Great cat, superb build, just too, too expensive. The obvious choice (for me) is a PHEV or similar - 30 miles locally and a decent fast motorway cruise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a bit early to expect them to be competitive because of the limited production capacity and lack of, er, competition. As you said yourself, the x doesn't count. Comparing to an x3 is probably even less fair.

Where I do agree is that jlr do not compare well with Germans when it comes to discounts and finance deals. I think that has something to do with economy of scale and owning their own finance company more than being "tight"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

Just as a matter of interest the cost of top range XE (3.0 V6 380PS Supercharged Petrol (Automatic)) is £48,045.

As i-Pace is, sort of, XE sized (with f-Pace size interior) then major build/cost difference betwixt XE and i-Pace is predominantly (as both require uprated brakes/suspension etc.) the cost of the battery pack (circa £200/KWh)......so assuming ICE/transmission costs are roughly equivalent to those of the electric gubbins (electric motors/invertors/control circuitry etc.)...............the predicted cost of base i-Pase should be circa £66,045 which compares reasonably well with the posted price of £63,495 i.e. price premium for i-Pace circa £2,550.

Not too bad for a new vehicle in a (currently) limited competitive market?

Cheers,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts