Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm wondering if someone at Jaguar can clarify the reason for the points raised in this thread https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=478

Basically this boils down to: Why does the iPace reversing camera turn off whilst driving when Tesla's can have theirs on permanently which is a great drivers aid?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
JLR please do answer this important issue , that I plan to discuss directly sometime this week at the Paris Motor Show

·
Registered
133 Posts
Garryjw said:
Hi

I'm wondering if someone at Jaguar can clarify the reason for the points raised in this thread https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=478

Basically this boils down to: Why does the iPace reversing camera turn off whilst driving when Tesla's can have theirs on permanently which is a great drivers aid?
Hi Garryjw,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that the rear camera is an aid to assist the driver when reversing or parking. This feature will be enabled when reverse (R) is selected.

The rear camera display discontinues automatically when Drive (D) is selected and/or the vehicle's speed is greater than 18 km/h (11 mph), this is to ensure that the driver does not become distracted from the road.

For further details I would advise that you arrange to contact your local approved retailer for more information.

Thanks,

Becci

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Becci appreciate the very quick reply.

I must admit to disappointment on this. I don't see how this is any more distracting than a rear view mirror and one of my favourite features in a Tesla I had for a few days and definitely enhanced rear visibility whilst driving.

Still looking forward to my iPace though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Excuse me, Becci, but that doesn't make sense. The screen represents no more of a distraction than mirror, and with a wide angle camera it is way easier to keep track of traffic behind you. I've had a Tesla for 4 1/2 years and the rear end camera is on all the time!
If your argument had any merit, you should kill the infotainment screen alltogether! Fiddling with the screen while driving is much more dangerous,
I seriously ask JLR to reconsider! Make it an option!

·
Registered
126 Posts
sjur said:
Excuse me, Becci, but that is nonsense. The screen represents no more of a distraction than mirror, and with a wide angle camera it is way easier to keep track of traffic behind you. I've had a Tesla for 4 1/2 years and the rear end camera is on all the time!
If your argument had any merit, you should kill the infotainment screen alltogether! Fiddling with the screen while driving is much more dangerous,
I seriously ask JLR to reconsider! Make it an option!
Keep in mind Becci is just the messenger. She didn't decide this. Having said that, I completely agree. If safety is really a concern (and assuming regulation allow it) they should activate the rear camera, install a rearscreen wiper and disable infotainment while driving or make it much more responsive and intuitive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Becci, this doesn't make sense as my Range Rover Sport has the option to turn on the rear camera whilst driving at any speed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
sjur said:
Fix the software first - to allow for the rear camera whatever speed. And install a wiper for the rear camera. It gets dirty.
Hi Sjur,

Thank you for your feedback.

I can confirm that your comments have been passed on to the relevant area of the business for them to consider this in the future.

Thanks,

Becci

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks, Becci.
Is there an official site where I can see the roadmap for the development of the I-Pace software?
I'm sure most I-Pace owners would appreciate knowing what updates to expect when, and I see no reason why JLR shouldn't do like other software developers and release such information. How about an international user group with real impact on how new functionality should be prioritized - after all, the users are the ones who know what made them buy the car?

·
Registered
126 Posts
sjur said:
thanks, Becci.
Is there an official site where I can see the roadmap for the development of the I-Pace software?
I'm sure most I-Pace owners would appreciate knowing what updates to expect when, and I see no reason why JLR shouldn't do like other software developers and release such information. How about an international user group with real impact on how new functionality should be prioritized - after all, the users are the ones who know what made them buy the car?
A roadmap would indeed be great!

·
Registered
133 Posts
sjur said:
thanks, Becci.
Hi Sjur,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Software details that are launched on the Jaguar I-PACE are unfortunately confidential.

The software enhancements that are released post collection have an aspect of customer feedback that is considered and implemented to enhancements at the point of release.

Thanks,

Becci

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since the rear window is so tiny we would be totally dependant upon excellent reversin camera. This again will make us equally depentent upon really powerful reverse lights for us to back up safely. I hope JLR has taken this seriously ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
sjur said:
Becci:
Would it be possible to get JLR's view on this topic? Will they make it optional to leave the rear camera whatever speed?
If so, when? If not, why?
thanx
Hi Sjur,

Thank you for your comment.

I can confirm that the rear camera is an aid to assist the driver when reversing or parking. This feature works to design intent of the vehicle.

There are no plans at this time, to make this feature permanent when driving at any given speed.

Your feedback has been passed to the relevant area of the business for them to consider this in future models.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

Becci

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are several things that [email protected] could learn from Porsche which would significantly improve the 360 camera system compared to the Surround View system on the Porsche Macan
1. Add the option of enabling the 360 Camera view from the Favourite Button on the steering wheel.
2. Add an option to put the 360 view alongside the rear view or front view on the instrument panel in front of the driver when the front or rear sensors get activated by proximity to an object. Where it is at the moment is well out of the drivers view compared to the implementation on the Porsche PCM Display which can be glanced at without taking eyes off the road ahead.
3. Provide a set of short cut commands (not the complicated arrows) to access the various views from the 360 camera
4. Change the parking sensor sensitivity to start the camera view front or rear earlier when an obstacle is detected.

The iPace is a big car with limited visibility of its extremities when manoeuvring in tight spaces, the Macan is the same size with similar issues but has a camera system that works as described above and if implemented by Jaguar would significantly improve the iPace.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
POR991 said:
There are several things that [email protected] could learn from Porsche which would significantly improve the 360 camera system compared to the Surround View system on the Porsche Macan
1. Add the option of enabling the 360 Camera view from the Favourite Button on the steering wheel.
2. Add an option to put the 360 view alongside the rear view or front view on the instrument panel in front of the driver when the front or rear sensors get activated by proximity to an object. Where it is at the moment is well out of the drivers view compared to the implementation on the Porsche PCM Display which can be glanced at without taking eyes off the road ahead.
3. Provide a set of short cut commands (not the complicated arrows) to access the various views from the 360 camera
4. Change the parking sensor sensitivity to start the camera view front or rear earlier when an obstacle is detected.

The iPace is a big car with limited visibility of its extremities when manoeuvring in tight spaces, the Macan is the same size with similar issues but has a camera system that works as described above and if implemented by Jaguar would significantly improve the iPace.
I totally agree ...hopefully JLR will do as well

1 - 20 of 26 Posts