Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still contemplating whether to place wintertyres on existing 20" rims or to use them on a separate set of 18" rims to increase the range. Anyone know if this would be sensible? Would this save me a charging session on a cold long trip from The Netherlands to Austria (900km)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention that it will probably be cold (december), driving with 2 adults & 3 kids, luggage and probaly a roofbox ("Dakkoffer"). As several people mention that the 470km WLTP range is not very realistic I'm getting a bit of range anxiety and I am wondering if 18" rims would help. Driving would be 95% highway, with expected traffic jams and famous german road-works.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
fox_nl said:
Forgot to mention that it will probably be cold (december), driving with 2 adults & 3 kids, luggage and probaly a roofbox ("Dakkoffer"). As several people mention that the 470km WLTP range is not very realistic I'm getting a bit of range anxiety and I am wondering if 18" rims would help. Driving would be 95% highway, with expected traffic jams and famous german road-works.
Hi Fox - with a heavy car in winter weather and roofbox I doubt there is much impact between 18" or 20".

In terms of an extra charging stop - that is ICE thinking - with BEV is charge whenever you stop not drive till you are at 10% SoC and make a long stop hoping to find a working charger. So on a 1,000km trip, mainly highway, assume 100-120km/h with winter conditions, full car and roofbox I would count that you have to make 5 - 10 stops each 30-60 minutes. Better to count that you have to stop far more frequent and longer and be happy if it turns out better than believe/hope you only need to stop twice as that will be impossible.

For our winter sport in March 2019 (4 adults & 2 kids) I am considering to arrange that my wife & kids fly and the other 3 adults driving (ICE car) with ski&luggage rather than driving with my I-pace.

Really waiting for other forum members experience trying to drive 500km or more.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jelle
I drove almost 500 km ( actually 450 ) and my strategy since I could not charge during lunch was to rely only on a 50 KW charger infrastructure
spread each 60/80 km along the motorway.
The main problem was that there was only one stall at each station but I had quite reliable real time data on the chargers.
The chosen strategy was to stop every 200km (consumption 56KWh) for 35mn in order to charge 25KWh which provided security in case a charger
was not working.
Therefore my extra time compared to an ICE car was reduced to 70mn.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
emgf said:
Jelle
I drove almost 500 km ( actually 450 ) and my strategy since I could not charge during lunch was to rely only on a 50 KW charger infrastructure
spread each 60/80 km along the motorway.
The main problem was that there was only one stall at each station but I had quite reliable real time data on the chargers.
The chosen strategy was to stop every 200km (consumption 56KWh) for 35mn in order to charge 25KWh which provided security in case a charger
was not working.
Therefore my extra time compared to an ICE car was reduced to 70mn.
Yes but that is 450km not 1000km and with better consumption than Fox will have (5 people in car, roof box and colder temperatures) and very important assuming there is destination charging - not sure you can count on that being available in ski villages 1200m-2000m up. I wouldn't want to drive up the mountain and arrive with less than 30% SoC considering temperatures in ski villages can easily drop below -10 degrees or even -20 degrees.

If I put the following in the trip calculator: charger speed 50kw, efficiency of 32kw/100km, driving highway speed 110-120km/h, average speed while driving 100km/h and arriving with 30kW left in the battery.

267kW to charge - pure drive time 10hours - total trip time is 15hrs & 20 minutes

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hopefully some Dutch guy is going skiing with his ipace (and roofbox) before me! Because I am very very very curious how this trip would be. But with very small kids not very eager to try it myself as a first :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
pivoking said:
Hopefully some Dutch guy is going skiing with his ipace (and roofbox) before me! Because I am very very very curious how this trip would be. But with very small kids not very eager to try it myself as a first :)
we always skied with an overnight Friday stop anyway, the idea of driving 1200km and then arriving with snow difficulties on that last bit of road (50km) into the hills always put us off. That way you have 2x 600km journeys.

Of course it costs more having a hotel, but the relatively easy drive on the Saturday (leaving early ahead of traffic) is wonderful.

I cannot imagine using the iPace for a single day journey to an alpine ski destination from NL.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The impact of the winter tyres is quite pronounced in EVs generally (it costs us c. 3 kWh/100 km on the Tesla) - but in this case, the roof box is going to do major damage to the range, along with the fact you'll be climbing some 1000m at least going from sea level to the Alps. So budget for at least a 20% loss in efficiency, if not more.

As far as the driving strategy goes, uncertainty about chargers being available would suggest to leave some extra charge to make it to the next if necessary. But ideally, you'd make several short stops when you're nearly 'empty' - that way you charge fastest and can drive a reasonable Autobahn speed in between.

The trustworthiness and speed of the Tesla Supercharger network is why we won't use the I-Pace coming winter from our drives to the mountains, yet...

·
Registered
210 Posts
KafkaH said:
The impact of the winter tyres is quite pronounced in EVs generally (it costs us c. 3 kWh/100 km on the Tesla) - but in this case, the roof box is going to do major damage to the range, along with the fact you'll be climbing some 1000m at least going from sea level to the Alps. So budget for at least a 20% loss in efficiency, if not more.

As far as the driving strategy goes, uncertainty about chargers being available would suggest to leave some extra charge to make it to the next if necessary. But ideally, you'd make several short stops when you're nearly 'empty' - that way you charge fastest and can drive a reasonable Autobahn speed in between.

The trustworthiness and speed of the Tesla Supercharger network is why we won't use the I-Pace coming winter from our drives to the mountains, yet...
With my friends, I also take an hotel overnight. That could be a solution. But with little kids (2 and 5) I'm not sure yet.
And yes the range will drop massively (?) with a roofbox and all the luggage and passengers. So I think in winter conditions you will get 200 km. Maybe 240 max. But I am just speculating !
The car (uptil now) is perfect for my daily commute and some extra trips. So 260 km a day is no problem and no range anxiety. But that's just 1 person and no luggage or roofbox :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
fox_nl said:
So back to the main question: would having the wintertires on 18" wheels make a difference?
Oeps. Youre right. No i dont think on these trips , it will make any difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think 470 km is bullshit wltp, 400 is more correct range at 15-20 degrees. So at winter temp 20 % less, 320 km. But at highways you probably will only do 220-250km. Remember it can be windy, elevation, snow. Maybe 20" rims will harm you 5% km more. Rooftop bar will do 15-20% off range. I would say 180-200 km range if you drive at 110-120 km pr hour. Maybe too pessimistic but also remember you will drive 100- 20, then charge to 80, then drive to 20. So you have even less at "trip 2".

·
Registered
96 Posts
KafkaH said:

I've read quite some positive stories of people using their MS to go from NL to Austria for skiing. It adds about 3 hours to the 9 hour trip, but with small kids charging stops might be a welcome break. There's also plenty of information available when charging strategies work best. For the Dutchies do check these 61 pages: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/op-wintersport-met-de-tesla.57057/

As stated, for Tesla drivers on major roads there's hardly any need to plan their trips, as these routes are littered with Tesla Superchargers. For non-Tesla drivers, the route planning is still somewhat of a puzzle. Best piece of help seems to be https://abetterrouteplanner.com once they've added the Jag. And they need our data for that.

Up to know I still try to convince my wife using the EV and not renting an ICE for our skiing holiday. But so far she's not looking forward to the 3 additional hours and stress for finding chargers...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know it's somewhat more complicated to travel to the Alps with the I-Pace, but we will definitely accomplish upcoming Christmas.
Planned to drive in one day to our house in "les quattre valees" (with a charging point since 2014)
On winter tires and possibly with a roof box........

Will share the trip in detail on this forum :roll:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the answers. My conclusion: 18" wheel will make a small difference, but not as much as the other factors, especially the roofbox. Hopefully I'll get the I-Pace delivered sooner than later to be able to get a better feel for the expected range. My neighbour already offered to switch cars (Skoda Superb) for the week, which might not be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
fox_nl said:
Thanks for all the answers. My conclusion: 18" wheel will make a small difference, but not as much as the other factors, especially the roofbox. Hopefully I'll get the I-Pace delivered sooner than later to be able to get a better feel for the expected range. My neighbour already offered to switch cars (Skoda Superb) for the week, which might not be such a bad idea.
I would strongly recommend you taking that offer - certainly for winter 2019. A year more of charging infrastructure, a year more of OTA updates and you getting used to your car, charging, efficient driving etc probably is the wiser approach that boldly diving into a long distance winter roadtrip.

Better to try your first long trip in the summer when the weather is better. Great that Jaguar got their car out still in 2018 but it isn't ideal for initial range & efficiency experience that it is now almost November and temperatures are dropping.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Balleur said:
We will go to the Dolomites in February but am I looking wrong or are there hardly any charging points in northern &#x1f1ee-1f1f9;
As of today there is only one charging point (22kw AC so only 7wk AC for the i Pace) in Corvara. I'll go skiing nearby in San Cassiano in March and I do hope there will be some additional charging stations available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts