Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced problems using 50 kWh rapid chargers?

My ipace has refused to charge at four different stations (three electric highway and 1 CYC) out of 6 different ones I have tried. Home charging using my wallbox is fine but I just can not get rapid charging working properly. Even where I can get a charge, it is going much slower than the "up to 168 miles in an hour" quoted on the ipace web site. Took it into the JLR dealership in Christchurch and using their CCS it only added 40 miles in 45 minutes.

BTW, JLR have sent me an internal 'technical document' which states that the ipace should charge from 0-80% in 85 mins on a 50KW charger. They then tested my car and it took 76 minutes to go from 42% to 80% on their own rapid charger but despite that they are still insisting that it is working "to design intent". Not sure how to reconcile their own tests with their claims of 85 minutes or 168 miles in an hour!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've charged my i-pace three times at a fastned fastcharger 50 kWh, with no problems.

20 min: 16kWh = 48 kW/h
14 min 12 kWh = 51 kW/h
24 min 20 kWh = 50 kW/h
14 min 12 kWh = 51 kW/h

So seems work well (51 kW/h = rounding error)

One of the times I changed to an other charger, as mine had the Tesla connector, and the tesla was running out of Juice..

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
JDE said:

My ipace has refused to charge at four different stations (three electric highway and 1 CYC) out of 6 different ones I have tried. Home charging using my wallbox is fine but I just can not get rapid charging working properly. Even where I can get a charge, it is going much slower than the "up to 168 miles in an hour" quoted on the ipace web site. Took it into the JLR dealership in Christchurch and using their CCS it only added 40 miles in 45 minutes.

BTW, JLR have sent me an internal 'technical document' which states that the ipace should charge from 0-80% in 85 mins on a 50KW charger. They then tested my car and it took 76 minutes to go from 42% to 80% on their own rapid charger but despite that they are still insisting that it is working "to design intent". Not sure how to reconcile their own tests with their claims of 85 minutes or 168 miles in an hour!!
Nope, no problems whatsoever with 50kW chargers - getting near max speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. My guess is that the infrastructure in NL is superior to the UK (it wouldn't be difficult) but even so your experience does suggest a problem with my particular vehicle.

Is the Tesla connector you mention some sort of adaptor you can buy to enable charging an ipace at the dedicated Tesla chargers?

·
Registered
335 Posts
JDE said:
Thanks for the info. My guess is that the infrastructure in NL is superior to the UK (it wouldn't be difficult) but even so your experience does suggest a problem with my particular vehicle.

Is the Tesla connector you mention some sort of adaptor you can buy to enable charging an ipace at the dedicated Tesla chargers?
Sorry, no the other way around. Current model S does not have a CCS connector (or Chademo). For a tesla to be able to charge at Fastned, they need a connector (conversion-cable) from CCS to Tesla-type (kind of Type 2, but different). At Fastned stations there is always (at least) one converter at a charging station, but not all. So that charging station has to be free. In my case I was using that specific charging station (CCS) unfortunately for the tesla driver. That is why I offered to change charging dock.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
JDE said:

#Rapidgate

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Chewy said:
JDE said:

#Rapidgate
No issues at all - for me the 50kW DC chargers are so far the only chargers that exactly delivered as promised.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
mclarenpaul said:
The few times I've tried it, 50kW works perfectly well for me too. I was getting up to 66% charge per hour.
No problem for me as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
it looks like my i pace is being charged faster and faster.

1st time 14.18 kWh in 26 min. and 9 sec. (175 kwH charger)
2nd time 11.39 kWh in 17 min. and 44 sec. (50 kWh charger)
3rd time 31.27 kWh in 43 min and 11 sec. (175 kWh charger)
4th time 35.96 kWh in 43 min and 29 sec. (50 kWh charger)

I just find the 175 kWh chargers pretty slow. I've been told though that in January 2019 a software update will be available to solve this problem. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Maybe it is not the car but the cable, see video of Dutch guy charging at R&D Honda near Frankfurt, using a CCS2 cable and charges from 3% to 50% in just 26 minutes. Adding 39.35kWh in 26 minutes is 90.8kW avg :eek:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
mclarenpaul said:
The few times I've tried it, 50kW works perfectly well for me too. I was getting up to 66% charge per hour.
Same for me. Ecotricity chargers in the UK are slower being limited to around 38kW, but most others deliver the full rate of charge as expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rapid charging has not been working from the 1st of December from delivery on. The dealer just called and told me that they diagnosed that the fast charging module has been broken, and has been delivered broken. They expect delivery of the module per the midst of April. This is not acceptable. This means that I can't use this car as it should for nearly 5 months.

G

·
The UK Charging Network is just terrible ... and that's me probably being nice.

Just look at Zap-Map ... so many chargers broken or not working for months at a time - the one's on the South Bound M3 have been busted for 4+ months now!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
carbitz said:
In the Netherlands (Fastned) no problems but in Germany I was unable to charge at 4 different fastchargers
Can you advise location, type and provider of those 4 fastchargers. In NL so far never had any problem, I did have 1 charger in Belgium (Total station West near Nivelles) that could not communicate with the car. On my way back Total station East near Ruisbroek the fast charger did work (same hardware/software it seemed as the earlier not working one).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have tried 3 or for Rapid CCS charges in the UK M1 Leicester Forest East and Donnington services.

The CCS charger connects ok and then starts to charge, but after about 2 minutes states that there is a charging error.

I contacted the Electric Highway and have had no reported other issues, so think it might be my Jaguar Ipace.

Has anyone else had these issues.

My car charges at home on my 32 Amp Rolec charger, but takes about 16 hours to charge even at about 60% charged.

This cannot be right?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
37 Posts
It took me 13 hours from 10% SoC to 100% overnight on my 32Amp home charger. Do you have load balancer on the charger which is limiting thr charger

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.