Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I see lights turn red ahead I'll just come off throttle and 'roll' (not in neutral) or get closer and brake. Can the driver control regenerative braking to take account of these preferences/road conditions etc.? How do current electric cars (Tesla/i3/i8 etc.) control braking.

As electric cars only have a single gear then I would like to see a system based on current gear changing steering wheel paddles so that these could be used to manually control regenerative braking i.e. the more you pull the greater the regenerative braking etc.

Should not cost too much as already standard fit on cars @ this price point etc. And I prefer to be 'in charge' of my vehicle.

What do you think?

Cheers,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi DRC

I think the Tesla has set ranges of regen, an owner will surely correct me on this, some , like the Hyundai Ioniq, have paddles for a more dynamic user controlled setting.

There is no information that I have seen for the I-PACE though.

I would like there to be a variable regen that is user controlled, maybe just by brake peddle pressure though rather than a paddle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi (again),
As there's not much going on...yet I thought I would continue this thread!
Re-reading the AutoCar article on iPace it appears that it will have a variable regenerative braking system, apparently operating via the throttle i.e. single pedal (no brake necessary but it does have 'normal' brakes etc.). So (I assume) that as you come off throttle regenerative braking will increase i.e. full regenerative braking when completely off throttle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all, I am new to this forum but have owned a Nissan Leaf, a Tesla Model S 85, a Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous and I am currently driving an BMW i-3. These three manufacturers all have regenerative breaking implemented in such a way that you control it with "going off the throttle" meaning that the car slows down quite a lot when lifting your foot. It's like you really drive with a "one-pedal-setup" and you get accustomed to letting go of the throttle just about enough to regulate the speed. I seldom use the break pedal, mostly when coming to a full stop or if there is an immediate need for slowing down off course.

Leaf and Tesla have the possibility to adjust how "hard" this regenerative breaking should be, BMW don't. I think that the e-Golf have handles on the steering wheel but I have not driven that car so I can't say for sure. Nevertheless, I think I would prefer the "let go of the throttle" approach over some kind of "manual" way of activating the regeneration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.