Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you people who have taken delivery or maybe read the manual in detail, I'm curious as to whether there's any recommendation as to the maximum charge level to use routinely.

Many EV makers eg like Tesla seem to suggest that somewhere around 90% is the maximum SoC to aim for routinely - for some reason trying to hit 100% every time is not ideal for the battery, though apparently no problem at all to do occasionally eg prior to a long trip.

So two questions:

1. Does JLR offer any advice on this point?

2. Does the charging app allow you to preset charging to stop at eg 90% SoC?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi John. I collected my car a couple of weeks ago. As it was one of the first to be delivered the head of Jaguar's ipace program was there. He should know what he's talking about and he assured me that there is no problem regularly charging to 100%. I think he said that the battery supplier, LG, has warranted Jaguar for this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks, interesting. I guess in part it depends on what an indicated 100% SoC actually means. Assuming that Bjorn's estimate of available battery capacity at 81kWh is somewhere correct then maybe that maps to 5kWh reserve at the bottom end and eg 4kWh unused at the top end. So 100% indication might actually correspond to a 96% SoC and so the batteries are not in fact driven to achieve 100% actual SoC.

What still isn't clear though is what might happen when the indicated 100% is reached but you leave the charger running? Does more charge flow into the battery and you start to get to what would be 101%, 102%...etc indicated SoC (though I dare say that the indicated reading remains at 100%). Or does charging stop once an indicated 100% is achieved?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The other interesting piece of information I picked up is that there is still some range after 0% is reached. I couldn't get an exact figure but the indication seemed to be around 10-15 miles. I wouldn't want to go there of course but it may be some reason for the missing charge.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert said:
The other interesting piece of information I picked up is that there is still some range after 0% is reached. I couldn't get an exact figure but the indication seemed to be around 10-15 miles.
Yes, that would be the eg 5kWh I was speculating about at the bottom end. But then there might also be eg 4kWh at the top end that doesn't show up.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I got my car a few days ago and charged it once at a 50 KW charger . After one hour
i checked the remote JLR app to find out that my battery was charged at 91%.
But neither the car nor the app gives any indication of charging speed and KWH received.
I looked at the charger to know that i loaded 42KWH in one hour.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Another issue is that the charging speed decreases significantly - according to Bjoern- after 80% , and therefore when you are on a road trip it might not be worth it to charge beyond 80% - it depends on your schedule

·
Registered
89 Posts
Exactly, All EV's are like that. On a level 3 charger the charging rate start tapering off significantly above 80%. If you have enough range to get to the next station or to destination, no point in continuing to charge beyond 80% on a Level 3.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your (any) battery feels most happy when the State of Charge (SoC) is around 50%. Do not leave the car for hours or days at almost zero or at almost 100% SoC. This is the best approach to maintain your battery in good condition for a long period of time. I normally charge my Tesla S100D up to 70%. For long trips I schedule charging overnight to stop at 90% and start charging again an hour before leaving by use of the app. When we leave SoC has just arrived at app. 100%. When arriving at home with a low SoC (below pp.25%) the charge indicator turns yellow (or red) instead of green - in that case best is to start charging right away. Also, AC charging at slow speed is considered better for your battery than high speed DC charging.

G

·
Robert said:
Hi John. I collected my car a couple of weeks ago. As it was one of the first to be delivered the head of Jaguar's ipace program was there. He should know what he's talking about and he assured me that there is no problem regularly charging to 100%. I think he said that the battery supplier, LG, has warranted Jaguar for this.
Whilst the warranty may be good for 100% charging, I would like to charge in a way that minimises loss of condition over longer than the warranty period. When I went to a Jaguar event at Solihull earlier in the year the jaguar presenter there was describing 'best practice' as being to keep the battery in the 20%-80% zone, and limiting the number of times depleting or charging outside of that range, unless necessary. I thought that the I-Phone App would facilitate that. I hope it will.

Maybe in ten years somebody will be doing after-market battery upgrades, I hope that many early edition I-Paces will still be on the roads to appreciate that kind of late life upgrade.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The iPhone InControl app works fine but unfortunately you cannot specify a level of
charge , just a time to begin and to stop charging. However you have an indication of
the % or charge per hour

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So u have to calculate to set an end time before the full charging of battery if u don't need.
But is the preconditioning indépendant ? I mean can u set a preconditioning time without charging ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
EDi99 said:
[...]
For long trips I schedule charging overnight to stop at 90% and start charging again an hour before leaving by use of the app. When we leave SoC has just arrived at app. 100%.
[...]
Would be great if the I-Pace app is also capable of this feature!

And what kinda degradation could be expected when charging to 100% and going well below 10% all the time, compared to the careful battery management?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
In the Remote app pre-conditionning and charging are two different sub-menus . So I guess they are independant.
But in winter time it is recommanded to use them together since the charge efficiency is dependant on the temperature

·
Registered
69 Posts
mca2 said:
EDi99 said:
[...]
For long trips I schedule charging overnight to stop at 90% and start charging again an hour before leaving by use of the app. When we leave SoC has just arrived at app. 100%.
[...]
Would be great if the I-Pace app is also capable of this feature!

And what kinda degradation could be expected when charging to 100% and going well below 10% all the time, compared to the careful battery management?
Good question. I'm not aware of any facts-based information on that topic. It's just based on generic knowledge about current battery-technology.
As a rule of thumb the battery of a Tesla shows a degradation of 1% for every 50.000 km's (evidence based). Also the Battery Management System (BMS) in the car has an important role here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can I set up the I-Pace so that it will stop charging at a set charge level - say 80 - 90 % when home-charging? No matter what someone claims, a lithium ion battery will deteriorate faster if you always charge it up to 100% and never (almost) drains it. I only want it to charge up to 100% when I need the 90 kW it for a long trip.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I asked this at the Jaguar AoPT last week and was told you cannot charge up to a certain percentage, only by time, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes charging often a battery to 100% is not good. But I think their is 5kw not used on the 90kw that will be use to replace dead cells. So when the car show 100% it's only 95% of the total battery.
The best is to stay between 25% and 80% if u can.
So except for big trip I ll charge at 16A instead of 32 during night so am sure the battery won't be full for my dayly commit. And anyway lowest u charge better it is.

G

·
I thought it was also the case that you could also simply program the charging to add a designated number of kWhrs when you connected up.

I am still waiting for my I-Pace to arrive, so haven't yet had the opportunity to try things out, but my plan is to try to keep my battery operating most of the time in a totally benign range (that even the most conservative would consider completely harmless), i.e. between 30% and 70% capacity.

In my world, using that 40% of capacity will probably equate to about 80-100 miles range, or two or three days usage. My plan is therefore to expect to charge two days a week at work, but only adding 20kWhr at a time, supplemented by occasional overnight injections of 10kWhr from my home supply, with most overnight connections being only to provide for pre-conditioning, without any charging purpose.

I aim to check this out on the 11th November Millbrook day, but would value any comments from owners learning from their real-life experience.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm getting an ordinary 240V 7.2KW home charger, and my plan is to plug the Jag in when I come home in the afternoon/evening, and leave it plugged in until I'm going to drive the car away. I assume that the car's battery charging system will Do The Right Thing without me having to fine-tune the process in any way. Am I wrong?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.