Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is exactly the same, I have just checked and as nobody has ever sat in the back it can only be coming from the door seals, as the rear door is effectively the rear wheel arch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Australia and considering an I-Pace however dust leaking into the car could well be a deal breaker for me. I haven't been able to find this mentioned on any other forums. Can anyone tell me if the problem restricted to certain I-Pace vehicles or is the dust/sand leak a universal I-Pace issue?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
pajo said:
I'm in Australia and considering an I-Pace however dust leaking into the car could well be a deal breaker for me. I haven't been able to find this mentioned on any other forums. Can anyone tell me if the problem restricted to certain I-Pace vehicles or is the dust/sand leak a universal I-Pace issue?
I get a bit into mine from time to time, but its only around one of the rear doors (off side on a RHD vehicle), no other door is affected. I cannot say it has ever caused me any concern though and certainly not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
pajo said:
I don't live in a particularly dusty environment but I have never noticed this happening on my iPace.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
MjrPayne said:
It's not bad like dust all over, just near back doors. This is from last spring after 50km on gravel.
That's about what I get too, not really much to worry about.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We know there is a 'partial fix' kit (with a JRL part number) for the dust ingress problem. Jaguar have acknowledged this as a known issue since the middle of last year. They are bound to make a service kit available at some point.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for posting your document. My I-Pace does not have this issue. But one detail here may be of interest: In my I-Pace the lower edge seal of the door runs under (!) the vertical edge plastic protector, the picture in your document shows it the other way round. This may or may not be of relevance, but maybe other drivers could compare to their car.
Automotive tire Window Road surface Bumper Asphalt

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Hood Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
The problem stems from the cars aerodynamic design creating low and high pressure areas on the sides and rear of the car. High pressure outside the car will seep into the vehicle from door and trunk seals that are out of position allowing it to bring road dust with it.

There is two cures - your AC air position (outside or recirculate) and the doors seals.

Depending on if your AC is recirculate or fresh can change the problem. By using outside air, (which I hate) it will pressure the interior of the car somewhat and will help to keep dust out. It all depends on how well or bad the door and trunk seals are.

The best way to cure the problem is to use Silicon spray on all the door seals and "where they mate to the door frame" this allows the seals to slide into their proper positions when closing and not deform themselves when closed.

This is also a major problem with RV's where at times high pressure areas in the lower storage during a rain storm can pump gallons of water into the 30+ feet of storage when driving at highway speed during heavy rain.

Stay Safe - Mike !

·
Registered
582 Posts
The add-on seal feels and looks like an afterthought so I guess JLR has tried to make a "quick fix". Maybe it works on some cars, including mine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
LowOnCash said:
The problem stems from the cars aerodynamic design creating low and high pressure areas on the sides and rear of the car. High pressure outside the car will seep into the vehicle from door and trunk seals that are out of position allowing it to bring road dust with it.

There is two cures - your AC air position (outside or recirculate) and the doors seals.

Depending on if your AC is recirculate or fresh can change the problem. By using outside air, (which I hate) it will pressure the interior of the car somewhat and will help to keep dust out. It all depends on how well or bad the door and trunk seals are.

The best way to cure the problem is to use Silicon spray on all the door seals and "where they mate to the door frame" this allows the seals to slide into their proper positions when closing and not deform themselves when closed.

This is also a major problem with RV's where at times high pressure areas in the lower storage during a rain storm can pump gallons of water into the 30+ feet of storage when driving at highway speed during heavy rain.

Stay Safe - Mike !
I don't agree with the above comments. I generally don't use recirculated air and using silicon spray is going to make the problem worse.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Koala said:
Thanks for posting your document. My I-Pace does not have this issue. But one detail here may be of interest: In my I-Pace the lower edge seal of the door runs under (!) the vertical edge plastic protector, the picture in your document shows it the other way round. This may or may not be of relevance, but maybe other drivers could compare to their car.
I-Pace´_2.PNG
2020-03-25 11.22.35_cr2.jpg
That's interesting. It looks like they revised the design. I'm making my own seal kit. I'm soundproofing the wheel arches and will fix the dust problem at the same time.

·
Registered
EV 320 Austria Edition, MY 2022, eiger grey, black pack, …
30 Posts
Update from my MY 22: there is a significant amount of dust and sand between back doors and seats after 4000 km of driving. Looks exactly as the pictures above. I was only driving alone, no one sitting in 2nd row until now. Hard to believe, it seems that nothing changed so far.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone else noticed that the reardoors seem to leak dirt and sand into the car?
The curved plastic panel below the seat is full of sand.

Morning Arc

Yes I see this a lot. I was surprised that so much sand, debris and small leaves manage to get into the interior boot space via the tiny gaps in the boot door especially when it rains sandy rain as it has done twice recently in London.

I also find that leaves and sand build up in the corners around the wiring under the hood. I’m wondering if rotting small leaves are the cause of the smell entering the AC system?

I find some parts of this car are lovely and I would use the word ‘Premium’ to describe it. Other parts of this car are badly designed and I feel it’s more like ‘Austin’ ‘Rover’ and ‘Renault’ quality of build.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts