Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes my 2015 A3 e-tron has it indead. Its nice looking.
I read all the i-pace manual and it says their is satelite view if u put a sim card with data in the slot located in the front storage between seats.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an AUDI A3 and the Google Earth view is great, I use it all the time.

The i-pace does not have this, the Jaguar satellite view is a birds eye representation. I much prefer the AUDI implementation.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ho. To bad to ear that then :(. Yes its great looking view.
U sure of that ? u saw it ?
But its true they don t mention google earth in the manual as it is in the Auwi's one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I am sure, I saw it demonstrated at my dealer when the i-pace was there for 1 day. I asked specifically as well, and was told no.

It is the same as the Land Rover implementation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are rumours with my current Macan (VW group of course) that Google Earth licensing is starting to become a problem and talk of discontinuing access to the GE service, even for those who have access now. I too have GE in use permanently and it would be a great shame to lose it - I'd really miss it. The detail and timetable of any changes is unclear but lack of GE in I-Pace may be down to legal/cost problems rather than anything technical. But maybe some replacement satellite service might be along in due course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yet another sign that the multimedia implementation on JLRs really is lacking compared to others. Has been so for many years, I really don't understand why. They are the first to come with a decent full electric SUV (let's face it, the Model X is dead ugly ;-), and still can't manage to get a decent multimedia system. It's a pitty...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I worry more about the consistent reviewer comments that the software is very unresponsive, with lag times up to a full second for it to act on a tap. I know myself, I have zero patience with user interfaces - I'll have to embrace Zen buddhism or something or I'll be permanently frustrated. I fear it's a sign that they ship the 2018 model with underpowered hardware, and it will only become worse when new OTA updates add more functionality to the car. Then, next year's models will feature better hardware, and future software updates will be tuned and optimized for that.

OTA updates are a great way to keep vehicles up-to-date and improving long after they leave the factory - IF the hardware is capable of running software that will be written several years from now. As it stands, it seems it isn't even able to convincingly run the current initial software version. Like I said, this worries me a lot more than any software features that may be missing at this point in time.

G

·
It's the same software I had in my F-Pace and I loved it.

Only real lag was picking songs to play ... but then I found hat the voice command was excellent so didn't worry again. Had 300+ CD's on a micro-USB - just hit the mic on the steering wheel and say "play Thriller" and it would play it!

A second lag would tell me it's still WIP software for the I-Pace and hasn't been compiled correctly as yet. It was more like a fraction of a second sometimes for me.

Another one was when you used the navigation, found your destination and hit GO ... it would freeze for a few seconds - it I felt that was the computer getting all the latest info before starting route guidance - but wasn't due to a slow screen update.

G

·
Plus something you might not know ... you can configure your own home screen ... once you have done that you put all the buttons you use all the time there you won't go too deep into the system anymore - that's what I did and after a month I hardly went anywhere else but home screen and Navigation screen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay thanks, it is reassuring to know that you loved the software on the F-Pace; I don't think there is a reason to suspect it would run any slower on the I-Pace than it does there. I'll stop worrying until my I-Pace arrives and I can experience the final software for myself (should be first week of November)

G

·
Watch This:

I spent 2 hours in my car the first night going through every option and setting and making my home screen. After a week or 2 I edited my home screen ... then finally after a road trip a few months later I did my final edit.

I then never touched any of the sub menu's again - I doubt you will too ... so even if a little laggy for your like, at least you'll hardly ever notice.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes i can t wait this moment when u pass a lot of time in the car configuring it :)
Those shortcuts are a great thing.
And their is one of the button on the stearing wheel that u can configure as u want. I think i ll put the regen lvl on it .

·
Registered
185 Posts
G

·
Great news that JLR are teaming up with such a well-respected partner as Qualcomm Technologies, but as this tie-up has only just been announced, I don't expect we will see the benefits of Snapdragon 820Am in this year's, or even next year's, I-Pace vehicles. But if they have recognised that they need to improve, then there is positive hope for the future :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
The dealer told me today that if you insert a data SIM, you will have/ navigate by satellite view. I am not sure....but seems hopefull.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Apple will release by the end of September iOS 12 that includes Car Play with Google Maps & Waze ans therefore a satellite view

1 - 20 of 29 Posts