Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Tim and I've owned Land Rovers and Range Rovers since the 1990's. Currently have a 1996 Defender 90 and a 2015 Range Rover Sport SDv6 HSE Dynamic which is definitely the best car I have ever owned - I have also had 2 Full Fat Rangies as well as Evoques, Discoveries and Freelanders. I have a disposit on a Tesla X or a Model 3 AWD but will hang back on finalising that order until the I Pace comes on stream. Crunch factor for me will be price and what I have been told so far is £55,000+ which TBH will make the car a sales failure for Jaguar, just like the F Type. I Pace has to compete with the Tesla X and Model 3 AWD not things like BMW i3 et all which are really city cars and not something to contemplate a journey the length of the UK in. Maybe if prices started at £35000 then Jag would have a winner on it's hands, but starting over £55k will mean people like me will have to consider the Tesla only.and rule the Jaguar out on price. Also JLR need to sort out it's In Control Touch multi media system before it even thinks about putting it into I Pace, currently ICTP is hopeless and unreliable (or in many cars just doesn't work!)

·
Administrator
155 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I wonder if the I-Pace is to become their flagship EV until they develop other models, hence the higher price.

I have my doubts about the Tesla Model 3 - I just don't think they can get anywhere near the capacity required for the number of orders they've had and I honestly can't seeing it costing £35,000.

Rumour has it BMW are developing an I5 which is said to be an SUV although I think this may be a few years off yet.

Anyway, be good to see what all of these developments turn into!

G

·
I completely agree that JLR need to sort out the In-Control Media/Nav software for the i-Pace. I have it in my XE, and it is embarrassingly bad (fortunately the rest of the car is such a delight that I can put up with it). But the i-Pace competes on a higher playing field, and the Tesla's IT kicks InControl into-touch. Let's hope JLR come up with the goods in time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure the Model 3 or Model X are direct competitors to the I-Pace. My view is the I-Pace is actually aimed at where the Model Y will be.

Not everything is perfect with Tesla's Infotainment system either. It relies heavily on Internet connectivity, which in turn relies on Tesla funding the data contracts. Although it's not been announced yet, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this bundled connectivity disappears as they try to hit the $35k price point in the Model 3, instead offer a connectivity subscription (at least if they had any sense of commercial profit seeking, which is somewhat in doubt if I'm honest).

TBH I get 99% of the Tesla system by using my phone mounted to the dash and connected via Bluetooth when driving my Lotus. Other than it not looking factory, the biggest downside is paying for the data, something I found out running satellite view on Google Earth whilst driving abroad and it rinsing through my allowance ;)

In some ways using my phone is actually better, specifically the navigation functionality. With far, far superior route choices made by Google maps than Tesla's system, which often sends you on random routes and despite the OTA upgrades is quite out of date (with a weird detail that the dash screen and the main screen can sometimes get out of sync). Sure the Tesla system has built in battery/charging algorithms, but these don't include CHAdeMO points. This means it's often not the ideal to use exclusively Superchargers anyway, so you still benefit from doing some manual planning upfront.

With this in mind, my view is that ultimately things like CarPlay/AndroidAuto, are going to be where it's at for infotainment systems. I think GM were right to go this route with the Bolt. It's not perfect now, but I think over time we will see as adoption rates rise and the tech matures, it will just get more and more compelling.

G

·
I want the I-Pace to pitch itself firmly against the Tesla Models 'S' and 'X', out-classing both in looks, and at least matching in performance and range. At a price-point in the region of £60k (or over), I would expect it to compete successfully, even though lacking some of the Tesla models' self-drive capabilities.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi

mjc, I think Jaguar designs its cars for the driving experience, at least the high performance variants.
Having a fully autonomous Jag would make it feel like driving any old autonomous car, I hope they don't go down this path.
If fully autonomy becomes the standard you might as well catch the bus :)

As Simon says I think the I-Pace competes more with the expected model Y.
Its not as big as the model X, it looks chunkier than the model S and is a class above the Model 3.

I expect the interior to be a class above all Teslas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tim said:
Crunch factor for me will be price and what I have been told so far is £55,000+ which TBH will make the car a sales failure for Jaguar, just like the F Type. I Pace has to compete with the Tesla X and Model 3 AWD not things like BMW i3 et all which are really city cars and not something to contemplate a journey the length of the UK in. Maybe if prices started at £35000 then Jag would have a winner on it's hands, but starting over £55k will mean people like me will have to consider the Tesla only.and rule the Jaguar out on price
Please take into consideration that I am Norwegian and therefore don't know the British car market. So there might be factors that I am unaware of that could make your comments easier to understand.

From what I read the F-Pace has been a success for Jaguar. Here is one quite recent article regarding sales figures. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/08/record-sales-jaguar-land-rover/. What's your reason for calling it a failure?

A Model X 90D seems to start at 85000 in UK (according to their website) so stating that the I-pace at 55000 is too expensive compared to the X seems a bit strange. The IPace will be a smaller car than the X but nowhere near as small as the i3 you mention. The ipace will have similar performance and range as the X so why do you rule it out with a price gap of 30 000 in Jaguars favour?

Model 3 is not really a competitor, it will be a stripped down, simpler version of a Model S. (https://www.tesla.com/compare) Audi e-tron Quattro will come to the market in small numbers autum 2018 and the price indication on that is in the same ballpark as ipace. So my opinion is that Tesla sales will suffer and prices must come down on S and X when facing competition from ipace and the Audi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up buying a Mini Countryman PHEV, which suits my needs really well but has demonstrated to me that "Range Anxiety" is all in the mind! I will be looking to replace it in 2020 with an EV and an IPace is already on my list - by then they might not be quite so hard to get hold of!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts