Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
As said above you don’t need to limit charging to preserve battery, the battery has a margin over usable capacity to cope, there is one downside to charging only to 80%, balancing the cells only takes place at 100% so it does need to do that regularly or capacity will be lost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This from the online 2022 I-Pace guide (as it was in November 2021, before recent changes) says as follows:

STATE OF CHARGE
The vehicle is fitted with a lithium-ion battery pack. Frequent, repeated charging cycles to 100% capacity canreduce the lifespan of the battery. Therefore, it is recommended to charge to 80% capacity (or less) unless thecharge level is critical for your journey range.
The
State of charge
can be altered within the
VEHICLE PRECONDITIONING
menu. See
VEHICLEPRECONDITIONING OVERVIEW
. The
State of charge
refers to the amount of battery capacity is used whenrecharging the vehicle. The bottom slider (
) selects the percentage capacity the battery pack will attempt tocharge to in the next charge event. The default setting is 80%.
Should additional range be required, move the slider to the right, into the 80-100% range (
). A warningmessage will be displayed as shown below. If this setting is only required for the next charge event, tick the'Only once' checkbox (
). If the checkbox is ticked, the selected state of charge will return to the default of 80%in any subsequent charge events.
Something prompted Jaguar to revise this section since it no longer mentions these aspects of charging beyond 80%. I understand this feature is only currently in the Pivi system but the WattCat app also has capability to set a charging limit. Based on Jaguar's temporary advice (which pretty much agrees with other battery chemistry studies) and additional information I found we now limit our battery charge down to 70% unless we're going somewhere long distance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the WattCat app also has capability to set a charging limit
Has this worked for anyone? I tried it but it wouldn't stop the charge. I was getting constant notifications but charging went on.

I would also like for a way to do this, as most sources agree that charging up to 70% would be better than 100% (even with a buffer). So unless the I-Pace has a magical battery with technology from the future, I would guess it's affected. I'm not saying any capacity loss will be significant, but why not follow best practice if it doesn't limit usage?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has this worked for anyone? I tried it but it wouldn't stop the charge. I was getting constant notifications but charging went on.

I would also like for a way to do this, as most sources agree that charging up to 70% would be better than 100% (even with a buffer). So unless the I-Pace has a magical battery with technology from the future, I would guess it's affected. I'm not saying any capacity loss will be significant, but why not follow best practice if it doesn't limit usage?
Wattcat charging limit works for me about half the time...

·
Registered
8 Posts

One way of ensuring that you only charge to % Charge you need is to do a schedule charging for a set number of hours using your wall charger. Take note of SOC before starting and work out how many hours you need to charge to give you the desired SOC. A typical Ac wall charger would charge at a rate of 7 kw per hour.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Symos - you refer to best practice in your question about charging to 70% as most sources agree that it’s better.

I don’t think that this is an accurate reflection of the evidence. I’m sure that there are examples of owners with battery issues, but they are very much in the minority. Battery degradation isn’t an endemic issue. I very much doubt that there’s a correlation between cars that are charged regularly to 100% and cars that have suffered degraded batteries.

JLR owns the biggest risk here; if batteries start losing capacity, it would be crippling for their business. They have control over things such as useable capacity, charging speed, battery temperature, etc and a massive body of empirical data at their fingertips. If charging to x% really did increase range or somehow protect battery health, that “x” would quickly become “100%” on the GOM. There was one change to available battery capacity a couple of years ago (a small range increase).

I for one charge the car to 100% much in the same way I used to fill up the petrol tank to 100%. I’ve observed no degradation.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m sure that there are examples of owners with battery issues, but they are very much in the minority. Battery degradation isn’t an endemic issue. I very much doubt that there’s a correlation between cars that are charged regularly to 100% and cars that have suffered degraded batteries.

JLR owns the biggest risk here; if batteries start losing capacity, it would be crippling for their business.
When I say degradation, I don't mean anything extreme. Surely not anything that would bring the battery below the 70% warranty limit.

But if, in a few years time, I can have the battery at 94% instead of, say, 89% without affecting/limiting the every-day use of the car, then why not?

One way of ensuring that you only charge to % Charge you need is to do a schedule charging for a set number of hours using your wall charger. Take note of SOC before starting and work out how many hours you need to charge to give you the desired SOC. A typical Ac wall charger would charge at a rate of 7 kw per hour.
Sure, but that's a PITA compared to having the app/car stop charging when it reaches a specific level.
I kind of do what you describe since I only charge during the night tariff (6 hours). So I usually plug in when the SOC reaches ~35% and next day it will be ~83%.

But sometimes (if I don't use the car in the meantime) I forget to unplug and next day it reaches 100%. Or sometimes I'll want to top up before reaching as low as 35%. I could alter the schedule so it charges for an hour less, I guess. But still not an elegant solution.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As others have mentioned, the traction battery has an upper buffer to mask somewhat degradation. In winter you need to charge to 100% to initiate battery preconditioning, with a set departure time, to optimise range if you really need it. Charging to 100% and then driving within a short time shouldn't be an issue. Leaving the car parked at 100% SoC for an extended period is probably not such a good idea for battery health.

·
Registered
288 Posts
On the couple of occasions when I have used it Wattcat has stopped the charge at whatever I have set it to.
However, I have charged mine to 100% every day (apart from the couple of experiments above) for 3.5 years with no discernible issues.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Some data on this topic:
  • as far as I know only MY22 can stop charging at a given SoC value, so not all Pivi Pro models can do that
  • while it would take a dedicate topic to discuss about charging limit and battery degradation, it's better to remember that battery degradation will happen no matter what, we can only limit, in theory, such degradation by limiting fast charges, deep discharges, time @100 Soc.
  • you can check your current battery degradation (SoH) using an OBD reader and either Torque Pro (you'll get 3 values, min, max, avg) or ABRP (you'll get only avg SoH)
  • the upper buffer limit (after H264 for MY19 and MY20) is about 5.5% meaning that 100% SoC you see on the display is actually 94.5% in reality (could be read using Torque Pro)

Reactions: symos

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been using WattCat for almost 3 year and it stops the charging almost always. Normally I charge at work so my charging level vary between 30 and 90 %, so I only reach my 90% limit now and then...Wattcat is for Androide phones - You find a similar app for I-Phone but do not remember the name of that app and do not know how it works.
At home I also use Jedlix that also will stop charging at preset level. The Jaguar App's don't unfortunately...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts