Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,
Not sure if it only applies for the UK but this what I received today after enquiring about SIM Card:

You effectively have 500mb per month for the warranty period.

ESSENTIAL Data Plan
The ESSENTIAL data plan will enable the customer's connected Navigation Services, Online Media and Wi-Fi Hotspot. The ESSENTIAL data plan will provide 500MB data per month, renewed monthly, for the duration of the vehicle warranty. This will be sufficient to meet most customers' navigation needs. If the customer requires more data they will be able to purchase additional data top ups called EXTENSIONS through their Ubigi account (by using the Ubigi website or the Ubigi app).

If you need any more data please refer to the Sim Card leaflet I left in the car for you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
so enough to meet your navigation needs (I guess this means traffic info etc), which probably means you have to top-up if you want to use it for other purposes like media streaming, hotspot surfing etc.

Not unexpected, but it'd be interesting to know how much those extra MB's are going to cost through that Ubigi account, and whether it's a reasonable rate (or if Ubigi rate is a ripoff).

·
Registered
80 Posts
They seem to "hide" pricing behind an account login... not cool.

But it seems it is not for NL anyway. This is what I found on the Ubigi site: *Only vehicles sold in the UK, Germany and Italy are fitted with the Ubigi SIM card and/or service.

·
Registered
210 Posts
stefxx said:
They seem to "hide" pricing behind an account login... not cool.

But it seems it is not for NL anyway. This is what I found on the Ubigi site: *Only vehicles sold in the UK, Germany and Italy are fitted with the Ubigi SIM card and/or service.
Yes, my dealer told me specifically that if I wanted the car to be online (like navi, music etc) I myself would be responsible for an extra SIM (e.g. data subscription).
I ordered a data SIM at KPN. Already a customer, so this will cost me € 5,- a month and get 1000 MB. The latter is not important because I am able so shift my phone data to this new SIM. And the phone subscription has 20 gig, so I don't expect to run out soon :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
When at home I like to use the wifi connection mainly for software updates. However I have to connect manually and enter the wifi password every time.

Is there a way to to connect automatically when the car is in range and save the wifi password (as with mobile phones)?

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
mbart777 said:
When at home I like to use the wifi connection mainly for software updates. However I have to connect manually and enter the wifi password every time.

Is there a way to to connect automatically when the car is in range and save the wifi password (as with mobile phones)?

Thanks
Wow, I did'nt expect that it is not remembering the Wifi-logon credentials. The sales person was unable to explain in detail about SIM card / Wifi functionality. I hoped to be able to connect the car automatically to Wifi when parked because it will be parked in an underground garage, most likely there will be no LTE/GSM network available but I can provide Wifi at the parking lot.
Is anyone with a received delivery able to test such things? It would be interesting to know if the car has no LTE/GSM network but a working Wifi connection if it will be possible to reach it via Remote App and such scenarios...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I entered my WiFi properties 1 time and never asked again since.
Don't remember if their was a parameter to save it. But I created a profile, maybe it's linked to it.
I ll check if connection still ok when at home this evening.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I downloaded the Ubigi app, which gives the following prices:

One off top-ups covering Europe: 1Gb £8 (valid 30 days); 10Gb £55 (valid 120 days); 30Gb £118 (valid 180 days); 50Gb £178 (valid 365 days)

Recurring data plans covering Europe: 12Gb £50 (1Gb/month for 12 months); 24Gb £98 (2Gb/month for 12 months)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Paul, I paid for 24gb on Saturday as thought it was a lot less hassle & Hotspot works very well.
I know could have got a SIM card cheaper but felt also after having the car for over 3 weeks that the Ubigi works very well. Also includes Europe & not only EU!
Regards.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Paul J. said:
I downloaded the Ubigi app, which gives the following prices:

One off top-ups covering Europe: 1Gb £8 (valid 30 days); 10Gb £55 (valid 120 days); 30Gb £118 (valid 180 days); 50Gb £178 (valid 365 days)

Recurring data plans covering Europe: 12Gb £50 (1Gb/month for 12 months); 24Gb £98 (2Gb/month for 12 months)
Many thanks for the pricing Paul.

As compared to a Three Mobile 24Gb SIM, which lasts for 24 months, works anywhere and costs just £45 from Amazon, the Ubigi pricing seems pretty steep.

Does anyone know if the Ubigi SIM offers a greater degree of integration with the I-Pace, or any other advantages, as compared to buying a SIM from another service provider?

I have no idea how much data I'm likely to need, so the Three SIM seems like a safe and economical proposition. Unless sticking with Ubigi offers a better overall solution.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike I have found Ubigi Sim work very well & that's why opted to increase data allowance to 24gb
Their app also tells you how much you have used & left in the period.
Ubigi it seems are specifically designed for JLR cars as had email confirmation with sender as JLR.
Hope above helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
nipri said:
Mike I have found Ubigi Sim work very well & that's why opted to increase data allowance to 24gb
Their app also tells you how much you have used & left in the period.
Ubigi it seems are specifically designed for JLR cars as had email confirmation with sender as JLR.
Hope above helps.
Many thanks nipri, I'm sure you're right. Ubigi is more expensive, but what does it matter? For Convenience and level of integration it is worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mbart777 said:

Thanks
Thanks for the responses. Seems to be "remembering" now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts