Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you need a simcard in the car to get realtime traffic info for navigation. What are current owners doing? Using a dualsim or a separate data only sim? I was wondering if there are issues using a dualsim because officially you can have only one sim active at at the same time and you need 2 active sims, right? Can you please share your experiwnce with this? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Petercrostie said:
I know you need a simcard in the car to get realtime traffic info for navigation. What are current owners doing? Using a dualsim or a separate data only sim? I was wondering if there are issues using a dualsim because officially you can have only one sim active at at the same time and you need 2 active sims, right? Can you please share your experiwnce with me?Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a Youfone simcard specially for the car. Costs EURO 10,- per month including 10 Gb data. Works fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Has one tried using a dualsim? If so, what happens when you do?

G

·
DrPhil said:
I have a Youfone simcard specially for the car. Costs EURO 10,- per month including 10 Gb data. Works fine.
That is a great deal, closest equivalent in the UK appears to be £9/month for only 5Gb (Virgin) or £13/month for 10Gb (3 mobile). I going to use the the 3 mobile 24Gb prepay (24m) SIM, and see how it goes, but doubt 1 or 2 Gb per month is going to suffice.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you use your phone for this as a hotspot? New contracts (due for one in April I think not long after I am expecting to get my car) seem to include 20 or 30 gb a month so that would be plenty and would save getting a separate sim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I have a telecom company in the Netherlands so I can explain d]the de]ifferences. A duo or dual sim is a replicated SIM card from your mobile phone number. You cannot use them at the same time because the network doesn't know anymore where to transfer your calls to, to Wich SIM card.

Then ther is the "multisim" or "mb-Verdeler (t-mobile). This is a separate sim card with a separate data number but uses the data from your mobile phone voice contract. KPN is 5 per month just Locke Vodafone and t-mobile is 4 per month.

The last option is the best option if you have enough data.
If you have a company subscription this is in most of the cases possible( unless your employers policy doesn't allow) but provider wise in most cases this is possible.

Using a duo card is strongly advised NOT to use. It's not meant for that purpose. It from an ancient la]ong time ago when cars had own phone systems where you could call with.

If you do not have the multisim possibility, buy a separate data subscription.

You can get 5 gig for 10 euro per m0nth in nl.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
186 Posts
My provider had an offer where I can get a sim real cheap (3 eur/m), which will share the data allowance with another sim. I used my wife's, as she never reaches her data limit anyway. Works great

·
Registered
373 Posts
Balleur said:
Hi, I have a telecom company in the Netherlands so I can explain d]the de]ifferences. A duo or dual sim is a replicated SIM card from your mobile phone number. You cannot use them at the same time because the network doesn't know anymore where to transfer your calls to, to Wich SIM card.

Then ther is the "multisim" or "mb-Verdeler (t-mobile). This is a separate sim card with a separate data number but uses the data from your mobile phone voice contract. KPN is 5 per month just Locke Vodafone and t-mobile is 4 per month.

If you have a company subscription this is in most of the cases possible( unless your employers policy doesn't allow) but provider wise in most cases this is possible.

Using a duo card is strongly advised NOT to use. It's not meant for that purpose. It from an ancient la]ong time ago when cars had own phone systems where you could call with.

Hope this helps,
Very helpful, thank you 😊 I will do some research when I have a delivery date. I am still a bit surprised I will need to do this as bmw includes some data for the first three years I think (I have an i3)

G

·
Very helpful, thank you 😊 I will do some research when I have a delivery date. I am still a bit surprised I will need to do this as bmw includes some data for the first three years I think (I have an i3)
[/quote]

I think in the UK we will get a SIM with the car, but only 500Mb per month for the warranty period. May be enough for some. I will be using more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read somewhere that we need to make sure that the SIM allows voice calls (which most data sims don't, as far as I know). Otherwise, the car wouldn't be able to make emergency calls. Does anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
56 Posts
pavadeli said:
I read somewhere that we need to make sure that the SIM allows voice calls (which most data sims don't, as far as I know). Otherwise, the car wouldn't be able to make emergency calls. Does anyone know if that is true?
I don't think so. Emergency calling is mandatory in new cars and shouldn't rely on the end user choosing the right sim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Balleur said:

Hope this helps,
Thanks Balleur, clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Balleur said:
pavadeli said:
I don't think so. Emergency calling is mandatory in new cars and shouldn't rely on the end user choosing the right sim
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is an onboard sim for emergency calls and Jaguar assistance, comes with the car. The data
sim in the armrest is an additional one for eg live traffic and hotspot, and this one you have to arrange yourself (at least here in NL).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts