Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps a tad early, having my car for a week, but: on 1 phase 16 amps I seem to get 2.7kwh average instead of 3.7kwh (calculated based on kWh consumption from 100% to approximately 65% to 100% on three occasions dividend by charge time, different charge points).

Is this normal? Thought tapering near 100% on slow speeds/AC was neglible...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maybe 1kW was used for preconditioning the battery (and cabin)?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MartijnEV said:
Maybe 1kW was used for preconditioning the battery (and cabin)?
That would mean approx 9 to 10 kWh per charge, would be a lot I would think. Nevertheless, something must cause it. Software comes to mind :)

Would be good to understand what other people's experience is on 1p/16a if any.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you use the JLR provided charger?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Getjaggywithit said:
Perhaps a tad early, having my car for a week, but: on 1 phase 16 amps I seem to get 2.7kwh average instead of 3.7kwh (calculated based on kWh consumption from 100% to approximately 65% to 100% on three occasions dividend by charge time, different charge points).

Is this normal? Thought tapering near 100% on slow speeds/AC was neglible...
I would say that you are not getting the full 16A but only around 13A ( which I have measured with my juice booster charger on some sites )

·
Registered
373 Posts
Based on nearly three years of charging my i3 via a wall box, there is always some tapering as you approach 100%. The last 0.5% or 1% takes a disproportionately long time

·
Registered
528 Posts
oop north said:
Based on nearly three years of charging my i3 via a wall box, there is always some tapering as you approach 100%. The last 0.5% or 1% takes a disproportionately long time
think I read somewhere on here that tapering starts around 80% ?
But I may be confusing it with DC fast charging.......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I did a very scientific (not) and accurate (not) test in the office (one of the locations I was referring to earlier). After hooking up the car to the office charger, I recorded the % soc level, km range and time of measurement with irregular intervals.

The results is the following graph, which is not too bad.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

So significant tapering / a drop in the 95-100% soc spectrum likely occurs also with slow AC charging (which this Leaf owner subscribes to). Can not say for certain as I had to leave with soc at 96%.

Question that does remain is whether the ~4.4 and ~3.9 at the beginning are off (>3.7kwh) due to Jaguar Remote app reporting errors and/or my rounding errors, or whether my office has 22kw chargers (32a 3p phase, in which case I can get max 7.4 kwh). In which case I am wondering if would get near 7.4kwh if I arrive with e.g. 30% soc.

I am following the same proces now at home, to see outcome there.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't see any obvious reason why there should be a difference between AC and DC as a source for charging.

What I can see though is that the current tapering may well depend on the rate of charge. So, given that AC charging on an I-Pace is currently ( ;) ) only possible at 3-7kW depending on the charger then the tapering profile may well be different for (relatively) low current charging vs high current charging eg at a rapid DC charger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts