Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a couple of screen shots from the workshop system that dealers use to update the software of the electronic control units/modules in the i-Pace. Very interesting to see those! On these screenshots of the work procedure for the software update package that is applied to i-Paces at this moment, I can read that the i-Pace currently gets updates on the following control units/modules:

BECM (battery management control module, BMS)
BCCM (charging control module)
TCU (telematics control unit)
IMC (infotainment system master controller)
InControl Touch Pro

The BCCM is very likely the control module that regulates the fast charging, and as this module is included in the update packages that i-Paces are receiving at the moment, it probably is the version that finally will enable 100kW fast charging.
The TCU is the control unit that we have been referring to many times on this forum being updated from 13.2 to 14.2 in the past month. This only seems to be related to enabling Over The Air (OTA) updates.
I assume that the BECM, besides battery management itself, also regulates the battery thermal management, as I see no separate module for that function. Seeing that the BECM is also included in the currently applied update packages I am hoping that we may also see improvements in range due to smarter battery thermal management.

My i-Pace will arrive at the dealership this week and will also get this software update package. Delivery is expected next week and I will definitely check whether I see the expected improvements. I will also verify that with a colleague this week who's i-Pace received this software update package today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
MartijnEV said:
I received a couple of screen shots from the workshop system that dealers use to update the software of the electronic control units/modules in the i-Pace. Very interesting to see those! On these screenshots of the work procedure for the software update package that is applied to i-Paces at this moment, I can read that the i-Pace currently gets updates on the following control units/modules:

BECM (battery management control module, BMS)
BCCM (charging control module)
TCU (telematics control unit)
IMC (infotainment system master controller)
InControl Touch Pro

The BCCM is very likely the control module that regulates the fast charging, and as this module is included in the update packages that i-Paces are receiving at the moment, it probably is the version that finally will enable 100kW fast charging.
The TCU is the control unit that we have been referring to many times on this forum being updated from 13.2 to 14.2 in the past month. This only seems to be related to enabling Over The Air (OTA) updates.
I assume that the BECM, besides battery management itself, also regulates the battery thermal management, as I see no separate module for that function. Seeing that the BECM is also included in the currently applied update packages I am hoping that we may also see improvements in range due to smarter battery thermal management.

My i-Pace will arrive at the dealership this week and will also get this software update package. Delivery is expected next week and I will definitely check whether I see the expected improvements. I will also verify that with a colleague this week who's i-Pace received this software update package today.
I've noticed what sounds like the heat pump rarely is not running, will be interesting to see if they can achieve any improvements through better battery management.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Guy said:
Still nobody has reported charging at 100 kW. The best I have seen or read was Bjorn chraging at 80kW.
True, but is this not more a lack of 100kW chargers than any deficiency on the part of the I-Pace?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Emgf did visit the Ionity supercharger at Tours back in October
as mentioned in my Canterbury to Bordeaux trip
But , I have just checked and he doesn't mention charging speeds etc , sadly .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Somehow the maximum current is still limited to 200A.
So with a battery voltage of roughly 400V this comes to about 80kW of charging power.
Ionity and FastNed are able to deliver more than 200A (I think up to 400A). So at the moment the
limiting is coming from the I-Pace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Jeggo said:
Somehow the maximum current is still limited to 200A.
So with a battery voltage of roughly 400V this comes to about 80kW of charging power.
Ionity and FastNed are able to deliver more than 200A (I think up to 400A). So at the moment the
limiting is coming from the I-Pace.
The ignorance JLR is showing us customers that have paid them 100.000 euros is shocking.
We have paid for a product they have promised us but still cant deliever. Tons of bugs, no fast charging, no AA, useless backup camera, useless app and the list continues.
All this could partly be ok if there was just a tiny bit of communication. My fear is that the software development at JLR is totally out of their hands. They simply havent got the capability to fix it.. And thats why they dont tell us anything about fixes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
malcolm said:
Emgf did visit the Ionity supercharger at Tours back in October
as mentioned in my Canterbury to Bordeaux trip
But , I have just checked and he doesn't mention charging speeds etc , sadly .
Malcolm it was just to take a picture for your trip . I did not report a charging speed because I was not driving mynI-Pace but a Lexus hybrid .
Next time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
MartijnEV said:
I received a couple of screen shots from the workshop system that dealers use to update the software of the electronic control units/modules in the i-Pace. Very interesting to see those! On these screenshots of the work procedure for the software update package that is applied to i-Paces at this moment, I can read that the i-Pace currently gets updates on the following control units/modules:

BECM (battery management control module, BMS)
BCCM (charging control module)
TCU (telematics control unit)
IMC (infotainment system master controller)
InControl Touch Pro

The BCCM is very likely the control module that regulates the fast charging, and as this module is included in the update packages that i-Paces are receiving at the moment, it probably is the version that finally will enable 100kW fast charging.
The TCU is the control unit that we have been referring to many times on this forum being updated from 13.2 to 14.2 in the past month. This only seems to be related to enabling Over The Air (OTA) updates.
I assume that the BECM, besides battery management itself, also regulates the battery thermal management, as I see no separate module for that function. Seeing that the BECM is also included in the currently applied update packages I am hoping that we may also see improvements in range due to smarter battery thermal management.

My i-Pace will arrive at the dealership this week and will also get this software update package. Delivery is expected next week and I will definitely check whether I see the expected improvements. I will also verify that with a colleague this week who's i-Pace received this software update package today.
Many thanks MartijnEV. Very informative.

I'm taking my I-Pace to the dealer for updates tomorrow, and will ask which are to be done. My current 100% charge range is showing 223 miles (357km) and will keep monitoring this. Hopefully that will improve!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
FENorway said:
Jeggo said:
Somehow the maximum current is still limited to 200A.
So with a battery voltage of roughly 400V this comes to about 80kW of charging power.
Ionity and FastNed are able to deliver more than 200A (I think up to 400A). So at the moment the
limiting is coming from the I-Pace.
The ignorance JLR is showing us customers that have paid them 100.000 euros is shocking.
We have paid for a product they have promised us but still cant deliever. Tons of bugs, no fast charging, no AA, useless backup camera, useless app and the list continues.
All this could partly be ok if there was just a tiny bit of communication. My fear is that the software development at JLR is totally out of their hands. They simply havent got the capability to fix it.. And thats why they dont tell us anything about fixes.
Personally, I think most of this is uncalled for.

After an initial delay my car was delivered just a few short weeks late. I'm not currently experiencing any bugs, I haven't needed to try fast charging yet (though I'm confident it will work when I need it to), I have no camera issues and the app meets my needs (though I am aware there are some timed charging issues).

For me version 14.2 of the software is working fine and I have no issues or requirements that need fixing. Though I am of course looking forward to further updates as and when they become available.

For me the car is utterly superb and a is total joy to drive, own and live with. I, for one, am extremely satisfied with JLR and would recommend the I-Pace to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I also think it is a bit harsh. AC and DC charging works fine, I must have had 5 different AC chargers and 3 DC chargers and all went fine. All NL though, so pretty good infrastructure. Infotainment is no Tesla, but using Apple Carplay rarely gets me into the Jaguar menu's anyway. Remote app also works fine.

Although it is not bothering me, I do think Jaguar needs to get timed charging and SoC ceiling % sorted. It's a must when having an EV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Getjaggywithit said:
I also think it is a bit harsh. AC and DC charging works fine, I must have had 5 different AC chargers and 3 DC chargers and all went fine. All NL though, so pretty good infrastructure. Infotainment is no Tesla, but using Apple Carplay rarely gets me into the Jaguar menu's anyway. Remote app also works fine.

Although it is not bothering me, I do think Jaguar needs to get timed charging and SoC ceiling % sorted. It's a must when having an EV.
DC charging is working, but not at promised rate. So far noone has confirmed faster charging than 80kw. And because of the enormous consumption, charging rate as high as possible is very necessary. We paid for 100kw(or even more) and the product has not been delievered. I also paid for Android Auto so I can have a good navigation system. But so far I'm stuck with JLRs stock navi that is painful to use.
All issues I'm talking about is software-based. JLR must realise that people have problems with their and come up with timelines and plans for what and when they will fix. Unless people will not calm down.
BTW several I-Paces have bumps and scratches because of the lagging backup camera. Many reports that the delay is 0,5-1,0 second. (Yes I know the backup camera doesnt replace mirrors 100%,but you normally thinks the camera is showing LIVE-pictures)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Hi FENorway. My I-Pace (delivered last Friday) has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The former is absolutely marvelous. I will never need to use JLRs own NAV particularly given that the last IOS update finally opened up Apple's rival apps Google maps and Waze. Hopefully when you have the software update you'll be equally satisfied! 😋
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I am on 14.2, will these new software modules be updated over the air? Or will I need to visit my dealer? Any idea when these new software modules are going to be available? To be able to charge at 100 kW is very important to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
A word of warning to anyone looking to update.

I did a road trip from London to Innsbruck, Austria and I was consistently getting 80kw from all the fast chargers, but then I went to a jaguar dealer in Stuttgart, Germany to get the latest software update which had all the modules mentioned here and it broke my ability to fast charge, slow charging still works fine though.

Post update I got the following charging results, all from different chargers in Germany and Austria:
Charger max -> Actual received speed
350kwh -> 60kwh
150kwh -> 7kwh
150kwh -> 40kwh
50kwh -> 35kwh

I went to a jaguar dealer in Innsbruck and they looked at the car only to tell me what the German dealer told me, that there are updates for some of the modules. So they updates again but it didn't change anything. So I called Jaguar Assist who said the car had to be shipped back to London to be fixed. As it stands no one has any idea what the issue is and it's the first time anyone has heard of this happening so I have no idea when I'll get my car back.

So I'd say to wait for a few months for the update just to let the bugs get ironed out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
mbart777 said:
MartijnEV said:
I received a couple of screen shots from the workshop system that dealers use to update the software of the electronic control units/modules in the i-Pace. Very interesting to see those! On these screenshots of the work procedure for the software update package that is applied to i-Paces at this moment, I can read that the i-Pace currently gets updates on the following control units/modules:

BECM (battery management control module, BMS)
BCCM (charging control module)
TCU (telematics control unit)
IMC (infotainment system master controller)
InControl Touch Pro

The BCCM is very likely the control module that regulates the fast charging, and as this module is included in the update packages that i-Paces are receiving at the moment, it probably is the version that finally will enable 100kW fast charging.
The TCU is the control unit that we have been referring to many times on this forum being updated from 13.2 to 14.2 in the past month. This only seems to be related to enabling Over The Air (OTA) updates.
I assume that the BECM, besides battery management itself, also regulates the battery thermal management, as I see no separate module for that function. Seeing that the BECM is also included in the currently applied update packages I am hoping that we may also see improvements in range due to smarter battery thermal management.

My i-Pace will arrive at the dealership this week and will also get this software update package. Delivery is expected next week and I will definitely check whether I see the expected improvements. I will also verify that with a colleague this week who's i-Pace received this software update package today.
Many thanks MartijnEV. Very informative.

I'm taking my I-Pace to the dealer for updates tomorrow, and will ask which are to be done. My current 100% charge range is showing 223 mileMs (357km) and will keep monitoring this. Hopefully that will improve!
Mine now updated to 14.2 as well as to latest battery management. Full charge range now showing a pleasing 281miles (450 km), which is a 17% improvement on when I first took delivery. Let's see where that settles over the coming weeks.

Car Vehicle Gadget Automotive design Automotive mirror
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Chewy said:
Software that doesn't do what was promised. Try talking to Tesla owners. It took over a year for the AP2 cars to get automatic windscreen wipers :)
That was because Tesla took the rain sensor out and replace it with another camera for AP2 <DOH!>

The rain sensor option (which uses a camera not a proper rain sensor) on AP2 cars is pretty pants and is still classed as beta code, it does not work that well IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
FENorway said:
Getjaggywithit said:
I also think it is a bit harsh. AC and DC charging works fine, I must have had 5 different AC chargers and 3 DC chargers and all went fine. All NL though, so pretty good infrastructure. Infotainment is no Tesla, but using Apple Carplay rarely gets me into the Jaguar menu's anyway. Remote app also works fine.

Although it is not bothering me, I do think Jaguar needs to get timed charging and SoC ceiling % sorted. It's a must when having an EV.
DC charging is working, but not at promised rate. So far noone has confirmed faster charging than 80kw. And because of the enormous consumption, charging rate as high as possible is very necessary. We paid for 100kw(or even more) and the product has not been delievered. I also paid for Android Auto so I can have a good navigation system. But so far I'm stuck with JLRs stock navi that is painful to use.
All issues I'm talking about is software-based. JLR must realise that people have problems with their and come up with timelines and plans for what and when they will fix. Unless people will not calm down.
BTW several I-Paces have bumps and scratches because of the lagging backup camera. Many reports that the delay is 0,5-1,0 second. (Yes I know the backup camera doesnt replace mirrors 100%,but you normally thinks the camera is showing LIVE-pictures)
I am in complete agreement with you regarding the charging and in particular the rubbish rear camera, I am glad it is not just me who sees the lag and it nearly had me reverse into a fence last Monday morning. The low level light performance is even worse, so much so I am considering driving straight into my drive so I can reverse out in day light! Absolutely the worse camera system I have ever used, quite unbelievable how such a pile of tosh made it past testing.

I have come from a Tesla and I know they have issues but I would have thought that Jaguar would have taken all the cool stuff Tesla have and at least replicated that and then improved on that with customer testing/feedback.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top