Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is it? Jaguar is rammed with orders, production backlogs, prioritising certain markets, royal endorsements... , or this:

Jaguar I-PACE SUV 0.0 Electric 90kWh 400 S 5Dr Auto

£283.06 incl VAT monthly rentals
£2547.54 incl VAT initial rental
Personal contract hire
Contract term : 18 months
Rental profile : 9 + 17
Annual mileage : 5000
Production status : Current model
CO2 : 0 g/km

https://www.fleetprices.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/jaguar/i-pace-4x4/i-pace-suv-00-electric-90kwh-400-s-5dr-auto-362126663

- £10k for 2 years equivalent for a £65k car. That's not profitable; that's fire-sale pricing.

Why are they doing this if as Jaguar and the vast majority of the media claim it's a smash hit, has Tesla on the whacky backy, and is sold out for ages?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Something doesn't sound right to me, it states contract term 18 months, but rental profile 9 + 17 ? But whatever those figures mean, it sounds waaaaayy to cheap for as you say a £65K car

G

·
Sounds unbelievable, but you would end up paying over a £1000 for every 1000 miles you put on the car ((26 x £283.06) + £298.80 for 5000 miles a year maximum over 18 months). I am sure it would work up to a more normal monthly lease cost by the time you factored your realistic needs into their calculator.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Apart from the cost of extra miles its interesting to note that the costs for longer contracts like 24 months and 36 months are much higher per month. Perhaps they are relying on the cars retaining their value much more over just 18 months?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, it's not before March next year so you can't have it now. The 9 + 17 just means the initial rental is 9 * the subsequent monthly rentals, so £7360ish as mjc states approx. £1000 per £1000 miles (18month contract, 5000 annually). The car will be "nearly new" when you return it. But I assume it will have lost more than £7K in value. It does seem like a good deal if you don't do many miles - I do approx. 13000 what would the penalty be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw the same deal and was very tempted.

Mileage and term do ruin the deal but 30p per mile panalty ain't too shabby.

For comparisons a rs4 for similar price is more like 3x that cost.

I think it's popularity means maybe the future value is underestimated. The lease company is betting on this and the increasing ev sales. Such a low Moshe car can make great profits if reselling with 10 percent Apr.

Even do it still sounds cheap!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think there could be a couple of reasons for the deal.

1) Originally JLR thought, unlike any other JLR product, that with the I-Pace 80% of orders would be base "S" cars as EV's are bought by people who are economy minded (surely they would buy a Leaf or Kona rather than an £65-80k car!)…. however the reality is like all other JLR products 80% of orders they have received are for HSE and FE models, as we can see with the delays of those models - so maybe they need lots of "S" spec cars to be ordered to soak up all the bits they have pre-ordered for the original 80% "S" spec car that didn't materialise.

2) The second point is if the I-Pace follows the buying curve of the Evoque another JLR product where there was previous no track record, after the initial orders from people who bought the car unseen & undriven there was a 3-6 month gap while these cars were delivered (we are in that period with the I-Pace) during which time you could go into a JLR dealer and get an Evoque pretty quickly …… however once the first wave of cars hit the streets and ordinary people "just saw" the car ….. sales took off. So this deal may be designed to bridge that gap.

I think reason 1 is more likely.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Blackseries said:
I think there could be a couple of reasons for the deal.

1) Originally JLR thought, unlike any other JLR product, that with the I-Pace 80% of orders would be base "S" cars as EV's are bought by people who are economy minded (surely they would buy a Leaf or Kona rather than an £65-80k car!)…. however the reality is like all other JLR products 80% of orders they have received are for HSE and FE models, as we can see with the delays of those models - so maybe they need lots of "S" spec cars to be ordered to soak up all the bits they have pre-ordered for the original 80% "S" spec car that didn't materialise.

2) The second point is if the I-Pace follows the buying curve of the Evoque another JLR product where there was previous no track record, after the initial orders from people who bought the car unseen & undriven there was a 3-6 month gap while these cars were delivered (we are in that period with the I-Pace) during which time you could go into a JLR dealer and get an Evoque pretty quickly …… however once the first wave of cars hit the streets and ordinary people "just saw" the car ….. sales took off. So this deal may be designed to bridge that gap.

I think reason 1 is more likely.
If reason 1 is the cause then I should get my I-pace S delivered earlier but unfortunately that is not the case. Then again this could be UK specific due to UK driving on the left side instead of the right side of the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There was a huge order of s cars from taxi and self driving firms.

This is a private leasing firm so I still think likely it's their own bet on future values.

Btw this isn't the only good leasing deal for s cars. I saw a 377pm deal with 8k per annum Milage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jpjag said:
I saw the same deal and was very tempted.

Mileage and term do ruin the deal but 30p per mile panalty ain't too shabby.

For comparisons a rs4 for similar price is more like 3x that cost.

I think it's popularity means maybe the future value is underestimated. The lease company is betting on this and the increasing ev sales. Such a low Moshe car can make great profits if reselling with 10 percent Apr.

Even do it still sounds cheap!
Oh thanks, for the info, so my 'penalty' would be approx. £3600 after 18 months, so it would cost me £11K approx. over 18 months, might as well just buy one :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you look at a spreadsheet on depreciation you might be surprised. Most cars lose half their value in 3 years so maybe 30k in this case.

My a4 will cost me 23k over 4 years and that's with 8k discount.

Given this fact, 7.5k over 2 years sounds very good even with 5k mileage. The worse depreciation is first 2.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Folks,

Well the deal was not too good to be true. I have signed up, on a 1+17 deal for an S in white, for April 2019 delivery, complete with a JLR order number and I know who the supplying dealer is.

There are quite a few others on Pistonheads and SpeakEV who have signed up as well.

Now I just have to wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had their ordered cancelled?
Placed my order with broker in September (SE on 7+17 deal) and was awaiting build slot and delivery date. Just been told now that the finance house messed up all their calculations and figures so have pulled the deal. Apparently this happened in October but only told now! Dealer not been notified and car still on order

·
Registered
141 Posts
Okay, I am with fleet prices. So will push again tomorrow as they have been silent on build dates and I was getting worried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nearly ordered through Fleet but as used Britannia before they beat their price
Seems problem is with Lex and not Britannia. Spent 2 hours on phone today to broker, finance company, dealer and no further forward

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not had any finance paperwork yet. But orders through fleet prices were all for big standard S's? I believe people with earlier deliveries now have build dates and have signed finance paperwork (looking @ posts here, speakEV and Pistonheads)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I signed my finance paperwork with Fleetprices/Lex a few weeks back but have heard nothing since. Have just sent an email to them to chase. Hopefully not a messed up order, they seemed quite professional when dealing with them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts