Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mark_T said:
There is no provision for a spare wheel other than in the rear load area on top of the load floor.
That's a major design failure IMO.

It has been more than ten years since I last had a car with a spare wheel of any kind and I've never wished I'd had one in all that time.
A serious black mark against I-Pace. Fortunately most VW group models somehow still manage to include one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very much a matter of opinion I think.

The whole industry has moved on from the times years ago when everyone hauled around a heavy spare wheel and tyre just in case it was needed.

TPMS makes it much easier to spot a slow puncture in plenty of time to get it fixed without road-side wheel changing.

I think you'll struggle to find a fully electric vehicle with space bellow the load floor for a spare wheel, even from VW Group, the battery has to go somewhere and unless you want to significantly increase the height of the load floor/length of the vehicle, the space just isn't there.

Does the e-Golf have a spare?

Hope you find what you need though even if it isn't an i-Pace...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mark_T said:
There is no provision for a spare wheel other than in the rear load area on top of the load floor.
This is not completely true. If you secify a spare wheel as factory fit option it is fitted under a raised boot floor (unless air suspension fitted, in which case cannot)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good point, I do tend to forget that they don't all come with air suspension.

Interestingly, the online system does allow you to select the spacesaver spare with air suspension, the description is somewhat vague though on loaction:

"18" Lightweight alloy reduced size spare wheel with vehicle jack and toolkit is located in a bag, tethered down to the rear loadspace floor. For added convenience, the bag is expandable so the damaged wheel can be placed in the bag allowing for the rear loadspace to remain clean.

†Loadspace floor will be raised and maximum loadspace volume will be reduced. Please contact your local Jaguar Retailer for more information."

If they are raising the loadspace floor then it is logical to assume it is going under the floor, but it doesn't actually say that and refers to the wheelk being tethered to the loadspace floor...

G

·
johnd said:
A serious black mark against I-Pace. Fortunately most VW group models somehow still manage to include one.
Most car manufactures don't give a spare wheel these days. The cost savings plus weight savings for better fuel economy means only a few companies give it as standard. My F-Pace the space saver spare was a £900 upgrade - personally I should have not got it and instead got the Blind Spot Monitors.

Yes there will be people who live on a mountain and get flat's every month ... but then pick a different car!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gdank said:
My F-Pace the space saver spare was a £900 upgrade
. . . this must be a typo, 'cos when I configured mine about two years ago now, it was a £150 option to add the spacesaver spare . . . even now, it is quoted at £160, so how do you calculate it was a £900 upgrade? Even the full-size spare to match your alloys would still only be £370 . . . a good value option!

The 18" spacesaver for the I-Pace is £150 . . I agree carrying the extra weight around and not having it stored properly 'out of the way' is a big problem, plus you may never even use it, but you have to bear in mind the inconvenience of not having it if you ever found you did need it.

G

·
catwoman said:
Gdank said:
My F-Pace the space saver spare was a £900 upgrade
. . . this must be a typo, 'cos when I configured mine about two years ago now, it was a £150 option to add the spacesaver spare . . .
Typo :oops: ... well maybe not a typo as in "I pressed the wrong key" ... but more a "brain fart" moment where I had a figure stuck in my head regarding something else, and typed that number in instead.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whilst the official way of storing the spare tyre is lashed to the floor of the boot - I'm hoping it will fit upright, either to the left or right of the boot sidewall - sort of an homage to the old Jaguar 2.4 Mk1- plus hopefully it leaves enough room for the dog.
I've hit enough bad pot holes at night to want the reassurance of having a spare on board.
I'll let people know how I get on storing it upright.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gdank said:
Most car manufactures don't give a spare wheel these days.
The spare wheel is quite a divisive issue in several senses. AFAICR most VW group models (and that covers many different models) DO still offer the option of a spare. Other marques like BMW typically don't.

And some people don't care whether a spare is on offer or not, while for others (count me in) it's a potentially important issue. There's no right and wrong; if it's important to you then it's important to you and you may well choose not to buy a model that doesn't offer it.

What's irritating about I-Pace is that the spare seems to be very much an afterthought. I suspect that the spare could have been made less wide/deep (eg by supplying it deflated as Porsche do) and then by offering a different boot floor with a well. The floor would have been shallower of course, but equally there could have been neater storage compartments around the spare. An opportunity missed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It isn't going to fit upright, there just isn't the height available.

... but there is still a chance it might go under the load floor despite what is shown in the manual.

If you look at the option in the web configurator it mentions that the load floor height is raised if you pick that option...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts