Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Steering asssit on 21MY

12K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  MoJo88 
#1 ·
Hi Dan, I'm having trouble in understanding whether the steering assist comes with the driver assist pack on 21MY. According to US, UK and France JLR websites seem it does come, but according to Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia websites seem it doesn't.
Is it really market dependent? If I order a 21MY with driver assist pack in Italy will I get it?

Thanks for any clarification on this subject.

#3 ·
It's more a curiosity. I do want the ACC as I already have it on my current I~Pace and i found it very useful on motorways so I need the driver assit pack anyway. But, it's free as it is already included in the specifications of the company car, no extra money for that. Still, I'm curious about what I'll get ...

#6 ·
Crazymind said:
You mean ACC I guess. Steering assist is a complete joke. I reckon it could be helpful if you fall
Asleep.
No I mean both. Just to check, does your car have the Cruise Steer Assist option? Or are you just using the standard Lane Keep Assist? The two are not the same and if you're trying to use Lane Keep Assist then you're using it for a purpose it wasn't designed for. Every time I hear someone criticise it, it turns out either their car doesn't have Cruise Steer Assist, or they haven't enabled it in the instrument cluster settings menu. Cruise Steer Assist is excellent, and much smoother than many other manufacturers.

#7 ·
Hi Dude, Smooth is a big word.
Thing is Jaguar is using the same tech they used on my xf 2015. ACC, steering assist, lane keep assist they all behave not as a Driver would. That was their first attempt to high tech and they didn't do one step forward. ACC has very limited functions. It can't see a car moving from one lane to another, it is jerky sometimes, can't overtake. Was a good attempt in 2015. Now even Nissan on their cars have better ACC.
Keep lane assist, very dangerous if it works. It's like a drunk man walking on the motorway. Steering assist mostly jerky and slow to react.
Forgot to mention there is no warning if steering assist goes of.
Recently drove New bmw and Volvo. Both system are way better than Jag. And it feels safe to use them. Not with Jaguar.

#8 ·
Crazymind said:
Hi Dude, Smooth is a big word.
Thing is Jaguar is using the same tech they used on my xf 2015. ACC, steering assist, lane keep assist they all behave not as a Driver would. That was their first attempt to high tech and they didn't do one step forward. ACC has very limited functions. It can't see a car moving from one lane to another, it is jerky sometimes, can't overtake. Was a good attempt in 2015. Now even Nissan on their cars have better ACC.
Keep lane assist, very dangerous if it works. It's like a drunk man walking on the motorway. Steering assist mostly jerky and slow to react.
I completely disagree with that assessment. I'm willing to bet you either don't have cruise steer assist or haven't enabled it correctly in settings. Interesting that you keep calling it Lane Keep Assist. Lane Keep Assist and Cruise Steer Assist are completely different.

#9 ·
I'm not keen on steer assist, other features of the driver assist pack are good, blind spot monitoring and ACC in particular BUT they are not infallible!.

Yesterday on a standard A road with ACC on a long 40mph area following another car
He slowed down for a cyclist, waiting for a chance to pull out and overtake
When he did ACC lost him but didn't see the cyclist and accelerated
That activated the driver take control warning - a dramatic moment.

#10 ·
Delta5 said:
I'm not keen on steer assist, other features of the driver assist pack are good, blind spot monitoring and ACC in particular BUT they are not infallible!.

Yesterday on a standard A road with ACC on a long 40mph area following another car
He slowed down for a cyclist, waiting for a chance to pull out and overtake
When he did ACC lost him but didn't see the cyclist and accelerated
That activated the driver take control warning - a dramatic moment.
It's certainly not perfect, but that's why it's called driver assist. You're responsible for the car at all times and it's important to know it's limitations and to remain attentive at all times.

#11 ·
All part of the learning process, after 4 weeks a very good car, I like it a lot, although I've charged at home mostly, on the occasions I have needed to charge enroute not all chargers have worked. There are plenty of chargers in the places I'm likely to go, what I expected to be "range anxiety" is now "charger anxiety".

#12 ·
Good Morning Kermit68,

Thank you for your post.

I have raised your query with our Product Team, and as soon as I have received further information I will be sure to contact you.

In the meantime should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#13 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good Morning Kermit68,

Thank you for your post.

I have raised your query with our Product Team, and as soon as I have received further information I will be sure to contact you.

In the meantime should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan, thanks for your quick reply as usual, I'll be waiting for the info.
I'll be placing the order on early September so plenty of time before that.

#14 ·
Good afternoon Kermit68,

Unfortunately as you are located within the Italian market, our Product Team are unable to answer your query.

For further assistance, I would advise that you contact the Customer Relations team for your relevant market.

I have provided a link below, that will enable you to do this.

https://www.jaguar.it/about-jaguar/contact-us.html

However, should you wish to do so you can provide me with your contact details via PM and I will escalate on your behalf.

Many thanks,

Dan - Jaguar UK

#17 ·
JonnyVtec said:
I think uk you are looking at 22MY to order. Steering assist wasnt on 21MY in Uk.
I thiknk I was the first to raise this issue to JLR last year as dealers were clueless and even the JLR customer care I spoke at that time was uncertaint wether the sterring assist was available or not on MY21. I already ordered and got the car but I'm expecting now that feature to be enabled on MY21 cars as the hardware is the same and it would very unfair to penalized loyal customers.
That being said, mi I-Pace is a company car so the situation for me is definetly less irritant compared to someone that has actually purchased the car. We'll see if and how JLR will manage the "old" customers.

#19 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
I've been told it's unlikely they will be able to enable it for MY21 cars.
As I said I'm not willing to start a war about that with JLR, it's a company car and within 3 years I'll get another one and I'll be free to choose a non JLR car. But especially from US customers I'm expecting a big reaction, possibly up to a class action. JLR was at least non correct in non informing the customers before they purchased the car and if a solution is now possible, even at some cost for the car maker, it will be indefendible if they will choose not to do anything.
Last but not the least, for a company that has declared it will be full electric by 2030 (it think) loosing early customers won't be a very good move to stay on the electric market when the competition will be much greater than now.

Even today will you choose an I-Pace or an e-tron GT in terms of performance? I could choose JLR for the brand, but not at the cost of being ripped off because of poor engineering and a even poorer customer management.

But it's their company and their choice.... I'll be waiting for an answer in any case.

#20 ·
@kermit68

The US never got the MY21. You're right that we never pass up an opportunity for a lawsuit which is terrifying for us in the medical field.

Also, Jaguar has promised that all its vehicles will be fully electric by 2025. This will be very easy of they discontinue everything except the I-Pace.

#21 ·
kermit68 said:
Even today will you choose an I-Pace or an e-tron GT in terms of performance? I could choose JLR for the brand, but not at the cost of being ripped off because of poor engineering and a even poorer customer management.

But it's their company and their choice.... I'll be waiting for an answer in any case.
Funny enough, I drove an Etron GT this morning. It wouldn't tempt me away from the I-Pace. Even though it cost more, the I-Pace is a much better driving experience for me. There were quite a few areas where I found it wanting to be honest. It was quick, but didn't feel any quicker than the Jag (it wasn't the RS I drove). Quite a few other things weren't to my liking either. It was a good reminder to me of just how well Jag did with the I-Pace. Three year old design and I'd still rather have it to the more expensive Audi!

#22 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Funny enough, I drove an Etron GT this morning. It wouldn't tempt me away from the I-Pace. Even though it cost more, the I-Pace is a much better driving experience for me. There were quite a few areas where I found it wanting to be honest. It was quick, but didn't feel any quicker than the Jag (it wasn't the RS I drove). Quite a few other things weren't to my liking either. It was a good reminder to me of just how well Jag did with the I-Pace. Three year old design and I'd still rather have it to the more expensive Audi!
I haven't driven the e-tron GT yet. I agree that the I-Pace specs remain very competitive, especially compared to the limited competition in the USA.

It would be perfect for me if it had a more robust charging curve like the e-tron 55, or an 800v architecture like the GT/taycan/ioniq 5/EV6.

#23 ·
Vandy2020 said:
I haven't driven the e-tron GT yet. I agree that the I-Pace specs remain very competitive, especially compared to the limited competition in the USA.

It would be perfect for me if it had a more robust charging curve like the e-tron 55, or an 800v architecture like the GT/taycan/ioniq 5/EV6.
Yes that's definitely an area Audi got right. I just don't use public charging enough for that to really matter to me. It would be nice to have faster charging of course, but I don't find it an inconvenience. USA is probably a bit different as distances driven tend to be much greater there. I wouldn't say no to faster charging, but it wouldn't be enough on its own to make me buy a car. Maybe when I'm ready to change there will be a Mk 2 I-Pace with 800V architecture. That would be very nice!

#24 ·
I have a car from pivotal, which is a 2021 plate. They told me yesterday that all of the 2021 cars should've been fitted with steering assist, however the only thing I have on mine is lane keeping assist, which just swerves you back into the lane if you get too close to the dotted lines, so a far cry from steering assist - it certainly doesn't keep you in the centre of the lane. If you go onto YouTube, however, you'll see people doing tests of the I Pace with full steering assist two years ago, and it seems to work very well, so I assume the system has been available for a while? The frustrating part is that Jaguar seem to have no idea about any of it?!

#25 ·
steadijim said:
I have a car from pivotal, which is a 2021 plate. They told me yesterday that all of the 2021 cars should've been fitted with steering assist, however the only thing I have on mine is lane keeping assist, which just swerves you back into the lane if you get too close to the dotted lines, so a far cry from steering assist - it certainly doesn't keep you in the centre of the lane. If you go onto YouTube, however, you'll see people doing tests of the I Pace with full steering assist two years ago, and it seems to work very well, so I assume the system has been available for a while? The frustrating part is that Jaguar seem to have no idea about any of it?!
Jaguar have confirmed that MY21 does not have steering assist. MY19 and MY20 did have it.

#26 ·
The USA MY22 builder lists steering assist as a standard option. Hopefully it will make a return. I find the feature to be very helpful for interstate driving on my MY19, especially after jerry-rigging it to alert me when it loses the lanes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.