Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
kermit68 said:
Even today will you choose an I-Pace or an e-tron GT in terms of performance? I could choose JLR for the brand, but not at the cost of being ripped off because of poor engineering and a even poorer customer management.

But it's their company and their choice.... I'll be waiting for an answer in any case.
Funny enough, I drove an Etron GT this morning. It wouldn't tempt me away from the I-Pace. Even though it cost more, the I-Pace is a much better driving experience for me. There were quite a few areas where I found it wanting to be honest. It was quick, but didn't feel any quicker than the Jag (it wasn't the RS I drove). Quite a few other things weren't to my liking either. It was a good reminder to me of just how well Jag did with the I-Pace. Three year old design and I'd still rather have it to the more expensive Audi!

Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Funny enough, I drove an Etron GT this morning. It wouldn't tempt me away from the I-Pace. Even though it cost more, the I-Pace is a much better driving experience for me. There were quite a few areas where I found it wanting to be honest. It was quick, but didn't feel any quicker than the Jag (it wasn't the RS I drove). Quite a few other things weren't to my liking either. It was a good reminder to me of just how well Jag did with the I-Pace. Three year old design and I'd still rather have it to the more expensive Audi!
I haven't driven the e-tron GT yet. I agree that the I-Pace specs remain very competitive, especially compared to the limited competition in the USA.

It would be perfect for me if it had a more robust charging curve like the e-tron 55, or an 800v architecture like the GT/taycan/ioniq 5/EV6.

Vandy2020 said:
I haven't driven the e-tron GT yet. I agree that the I-Pace specs remain very competitive, especially compared to the limited competition in the USA.

It would be perfect for me if it had a more robust charging curve like the e-tron 55, or an 800v architecture like the GT/taycan/ioniq 5/EV6.
Yes that's definitely an area Audi got right. I just don't use public charging enough for that to really matter to me. It would be nice to have faster charging of course, but I don't find it an inconvenience. USA is probably a bit different as distances driven tend to be much greater there. I wouldn't say no to faster charging, but it wouldn't be enough on its own to make me buy a car. Maybe when I'm ready to change there will be a Mk 2 I-Pace with 800V architecture. That would be very nice!

I have a car from pivotal, which is a 2021 plate. They told me yesterday that all of the 2021 cars should've been fitted with steering assist, however the only thing I have on mine is lane keeping assist, which just swerves you back into the lane if you get too close to the dotted lines, so a far cry from steering assist - it certainly doesn't keep you in the centre of the lane. If you go onto YouTube, however, you'll see people doing tests of the I Pace with full steering assist two years ago, and it seems to work very well, so I assume the system has been available for a while? The frustrating part is that Jaguar seem to have no idea about any of it?!

steadijim said:
I have a car from pivotal, which is a 2021 plate. They told me yesterday that all of the 2021 cars should've been fitted with steering assist, however the only thing I have on mine is lane keeping assist, which just swerves you back into the lane if you get too close to the dotted lines, so a far cry from steering assist - it certainly doesn't keep you in the centre of the lane. If you go onto YouTube, however, you'll see people doing tests of the I Pace with full steering assist two years ago, and it seems to work very well, so I assume the system has been available for a while? The frustrating part is that Jaguar seem to have no idea about any of it?!
Jaguar have confirmed that MY21 does not have steering assist. MY19 and MY20 did have it.

The USA MY22 builder lists steering assist as a standard option. Hopefully it will make a return. I find the feature to be very helpful for interstate driving on my MY19, especially after jerry-rigging it to alert me when it loses the lanes.

OK Vandy, please tell us if all pre 2020 I-Paces enabled with steering assist can be Jerry-Rigged to alert the drivers?

I am hoping it is possible for you to share this advice.

Cheers, Steve

Yes it was available on MY 19 & 20, I use it all the time on motorways and fast A roads.

Vandy2020 said:
The USA MY22 builder lists steering assist as a standard option. Hopefully it will make a return. I find the feature to be very helpful for interstate driving on my MY19, especially after jerry-rigging it to alert me when it loses the lanes.
I believe it is returning for MY22.

Also, I wonder if it can be reintroduced with a software update? My MY21 has the ability to steer the car - it does it with the lane keep assist. I assume the vehicle still has all the sensors it needs? Or were some removed from MY20 and previous models?

Lobster said:
OK Vandy, please tell us if all pre 2020 I-Paces enabled with steering assist can be Jerry-Rigged to alert the drivers?

I am hoping it is possible for you to share this advice.

Cheers, Steve
It's a janky solution. I have a photo sensor on the instrument cluster that is hooked to a chime and led indicator. When the lane tracing indicator turns off, the led and chime turn on. Ambient light causes some interference, so I need to use a potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity of the photosensor depending on conditions.

It's not pretty, but it does work well on long interstate drives.

These are the parts I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TGKNDRB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M35VHY5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Attachments

Vandy, that is a clever interface, those modules reminded me of Radio Shack hobby kits available many years ago.

Cheers, Steve

I don't know why they removed it, but it may not have been a decision made by JLR.

I was looking at a Volvo T8 hybrid prior to buying the ipace and the only way you could get some options (cross traffic alerts/ steering etc) was to buy used. Volvo have been forced to remove some options from their new builds due to lack of microprocessors. It's a worldwide problem that has been going on for some time now so perhaps Jaguar have also fallen foul and had to remove options from their new cars.

I have been awaiting 2 parts from Jaguar since I bought mine a month ago. Both are awaited with no clue of a delivery date due to micro processor shortages.

S60r said:
I don't know why they removed it, but it may not have been a decision made by JLR.

I was looking at a Volvo T8 hybrid prior to buying the ipace and the only way you could get some options (cross traffic alerts/ steering etc) was to buy used. Volvo have been forced to remove some options from their new builds due to lack of microprocessors. It's a worldwide problem that has been going on for some time now so perhaps Jaguar have also fallen foul and had to remove options from their new cars.

I have been awaiting 2 parts from Jaguar since I bought mine a month ago. Both are awaited with no clue of a delivery date due to micro processor shortages.
This issue crystallised well before the microprocessor shortage kicked in. It seems to me that they switched to a new component supplier that did not have the necessary type approvals to allow them to enable the functionality (no doubt some slow moving EU process/people). Jaguar are not the only impacted manufacturer I have seen many others remove this functionality form their configs including various VW/Audi brands.

Since it seems to be making a comeback in MY22, the question is have they switched components or is the approval for the bits used on the MY21 now complete (so it could potentially be reenabled).

Discussion starter · #37 ·
electric beagle said:
Since it seems to be making a comeback in MY22, the question is have they switched components or is the approval for the bits used on the MY21 now complete (so it could potentially be reenabled).
Beside Abu Dhabi Dude already saying that it will be impossible (source Jaguar), I have the same feeling as if you look the MY22 photos, there are again 2 cameras in the windshield as in MY19 and MY20 but differently from MY21 that has only one camera.

kermit68 said:
electric beagle said:
Beside Abu Dhabi Dude already saying that it will be impossible (source Jaguar), I have the same feeling as if you look the MY22 photos, there are again 2 cameras in the windshield as in MY19 and MY20 but differently from MY21 that has only one camera.
That one pic they used for the US was very odd though in that it showed none of the changes for the new model no Atlas grill, no new colours, internals with the crappy version of the seat/cabin AC controls etc.

I would not base everything on that pic or indeed a first reaction from JLR. All MY21s had an emergency software patch applied before delivery (which is what delayed delivery for a number of us). What did this patch do? Did it disable Steering Assist or do something else?

electric beagle said:
All MY21s had an emergency software patch applied before delivery (which is what delayed delivery for a number of us). What did this patch do? Did it disable Steering Assist or do something else?
Hello everyone, first post here!

On our just purchased MY21, the dealer said there would be a couple of weeks delay because they needed to carry out a service action on the charging system and in our case a charging control module also had to be replaced.

I would guess the emergency patch is to do with the new 11 Kw charging system and not the steering assist.

NeilR said:
electric beagle said:
All MY21s had an emergency software patch applied before delivery (which is what delayed delivery for a number of us). What did this patch do? Did it disable Steering Assist or do something else?
Hello everyone, first post here!

On our just purchased MY21, the dealer said there would be a couple of weeks delay because they needed to carry out a service action on the charging system and in our case a charging control module also had to be replaced.

I would guess the emergency patch is to do with the new 11 Kw charging system and not the steering assist.
Is this a wholly new car? If this is the same update that they applied last October at the launch of the MY21 it would be shocking that in 9 months they have not updated the software build loaded in at the factory, that is a special kind of incompetence and potentially one of the easiest production changes to make!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.