Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
electric beagle said:
NeilR said:
electric beagle said:
All MY21s had an emergency software patch applied before delivery (which is what delayed delivery for a number of us). What did this patch do? Did it disable Steering Assist or do something else?
Hello everyone, first post here!

On our just purchased MY21, the dealer said there would be a couple of weeks delay because they needed to carry out a service action on the charging system and in our case a charging control module also had to be replaced.

I would guess the emergency patch is to do with the new 11 Kw charging system and not the steering assist.
Is this a wholly new car? If this is the same update that they applied last October at the launch of the MY21 it would be shocking that in 9 months they have not updated the software build loaded in at the factory, that is a special kind of incompetence and potentially one of the easiest production changes to make!
it is a new purchase but the build was in October 2020. the car has been sat in the dealers showroom for months because they were closed until April due to the lockdown here. I think they only update the cars prior to customer delivery. no point doing it on unsold cars. We got a 24.5% discount off list price plus 0.9% leasing with zero deposit so are not complaining too much!

NeilR said:
electric beagle said:
NeilR said:
Hello everyone, first post here!

On our just purchased MY21, the dealer said there would be a couple of weeks delay because they needed to carry out a service action on the charging system and in our case a charging control module also had to be replaced.

I would guess the emergency patch is to do with the new 11 Kw charging system and not the steering assist.
Is this a wholly new car? If this is the same update that they applied last October at the launch of the MY21 it would be shocking that in 9 months they have not updated the software build loaded in at the factory, that is a special kind of incompetence and potentially one of the easiest production changes to make!
it is a new purchase but the build was in October 2020. the car has been sat in the dealers showroom for months because they were closed until April due to the lockdown here. I think they only update the cars prior to customer delivery. no point doing it on unsold cars. We got a 24.5% discount off list price plus 0.9% leasing with zero deposit so are not complaining too much!
The first updates were done at the port prior to shipping to the dealers, which is why those of us with initial orders had our delivery delayed even though the cars were in the country. Mine had nothing done by the dealer. I assume yours is being updated due to issues they found at the PDI.

That is a good price though I only got a 15% discount on mine.

Don't forget I am in Switzerland so they may do things differently over here regarding updates and service actions.

Corporate discounts in Switzerland are huge right now on many brands. I think the manufacturers/distributors are desperate to sell cars. we could have got 20% off a new Mercedes (selected models) but my wife hates the current Mercedes EV styling.

as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I had kicked up quite a fuss with my dealer about this when the car was delivered as I had only been able to test drive the My20 before ordering the MY21. According to the dealer who spoke to HQ Jaguar the Steering Assist was removed for "security reasons". This seems to coincide with a few other brands removing this lane centring at the same time (e.g. Volvo) although not all have removed this feature. I suspect that the Bosch system that Jaguar and some other manufacturers used until then was deemed unsafe (just look at the reviews for the steering assist on the My20 and before...) and therefore de-activated. I suspect the request hardware is present in MY21 but will never be activated unless Bosch miraculously improves the software and ability of their lane centring system (and as it is, the Lane Keep Assist on the Jaguar is terrible; it's not reliable and de-activates silently). I'm not holding my breath for ever getting the Lane centring on MY21. IMHP if this functionality ever comes to MY22 or later it will be with a whole new system; maybe a new generation Bosch system or a system from another supplier.

tutis said:
as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I had kicked up quite a fuss with my dealer about this when the car was delivered as I had only been able to test drive the My20 before ordering the MY21. According to the dealer who spoke to HQ Jaguar the Steering Assist was removed for "security reasons". This seems to coincide with a few other brands removing this lane centring at the same time (e.g. Volvo) although not all have removed this feature. I suspect that the Bosch system that Jaguar and some other manufacturers used until then was deemed unsafe (just look at the reviews for the steering assist on the My20 and before...) and therefore de-activated. I suspect the request hardware is present in MY21 but will never be activated unless Bosch miraculously improves the software and ability of their lane centring system (and as it is, the Lane Keep Assist on the Jaguar is terrible; it's not reliable and de-activates silently). I'm not holding my breath for ever getting the Lane centring on MY21. IMHP if this functionality ever comes to MY22 or later it will be with a whole new system; maybe a new generation Bosch system or a system from another supplier.
I don't see why JLR has such a unique problem with this though. My wife's Audi uses the same 1 camera system that seems to be fitted to my iPace. That is highly reliable, does not spontaneously disengage and can be used in all driving conditions where road edges are detected not just with the cruise control on.

The iPace Lane edge sensors seem markedly worse in detecting the lane edges than on my wife's car and I cannot understand just why this should be.

Thought this would be of interest to this thread. You can apparently fool the Ford CoPilot driver attention monitor by placing a wrist weight on the steering wheel. Note that CoPilot is a different system than Ford's BlueCruise which relies on monitoring eye movements instead of steering wheel torque. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS, but it should theoretically be possible to replicate in the I-Pace because it uses the same torque-based method for attention monitoring.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.