Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking my son up this morning to go shopping. He lives down a country lane in the village. I was driving slowly as I had passed a horse with rider and his house was just on the right. I pulled over to the right to pull up outside his house. I put my foot on the brake lightly as I was already slowing down when the car suddenly went off like a rocket. It ploughed into a Porsche in front of me that went into a VW that pushed a lamp post over then I swerved across the road into a wall and ended up on top of the wall on a fence. Thank God there was nobody walking past or sat in the cars. The air bags activated and I opened my door and got out uninjured.

What on earth happened? Im 62 years old and have been driving safely since I was 17 and own 2 companies with numerous vehicles. No way would I have put my foot on the accelerator by mistake. The police said I may have caught my foot on the accelerator as well as the brake and the car just went off like a rocket he has had previous experience of this with electric cars and personally doesn't like them as he feels they are take off to quickly.

Dash cam footage from a car parked behind where I was pulling in the police man said showed me pulling in slowly and my brake lights come on then go off and come back on again. Surely this means that I did put my brakes on then when the car accelerated I took them immediately off then slammed them on again but the car kept accelerating anyway and was unstoppable until it crashed.

So what really happened, this was all was over in a couple of minutes resulting in my iPace, Porsche being right offs (very unhappy neighbour) VW damaged, lamp post knocked right over and fence and part of wall destroyed.

Couple of months earlier the iPace had gone back to the manufacturers for a month as there was a problem with the battery charger, and the car lost total power, not before all the windows opened for some reason!

If anybody has had similar problems I would really like to know to compare, this had really unnerved me and I seriously thinking of going back to a diesel car.

Thanking you in advance
Julie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same thing happened to me twice, the second time with expensive damages to vehicle and scenery but fortunately not other vehicles or people. I put it down to driver error as I probably caught the throttle and the brake, any such mistake is magnified by EV instant torque as illustrated online by a few Taycan’s taking off through dealership windows. I’m now super cautious in car parks, it is definitely a downside.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’ve caught the accelerator by mistake thankfully nothing in front so no damage, not a nice Christmas incident, hope your no claims is protected.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Scary. Glad you are ok after that. Shame there is no recording of data, a la aircraft blackbox style. Given the safety processes that are applied to throttle-by-wire, it is very unlikely a software issue. Could be but just very unlikely. I have personally noticed that the throttle can be inadvertently pressed when applying the brake but then, I do have big feet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was picking my son up this morning to go shopping. He lives down a country lane in the village. I was driving slowly as I had passed a horse with rider and his house was just on the right. I pulled over to the right to pull up outside his house. I put my foot on the brake lightly as I was already slowing down when the car suddenly went off like a rocket. It ploughed into a Porsche in front of me that went into a VW that pushed a lamp post over then I swerved across the road into a wall and ended up on top of the wall on a fence. Thank God there was nobody walking past or sat in the cars. The air bags activated and I opened my door and got out uninjured.

What on earth happened? Im 62 years old and have been driving safely since I was 17 and own 2 companies with numerous vehicles. No way would I have put my foot on the accelerator by mistake. The police said I may have caught my foot on the accelerator as well as the brake and the car just went off like a rocket he has had previous experience of this with electric cars and personally doesn't like them as he feels they are take off to quickly.

Dash cam footage from a car parked behind where I was pulling in the police man said showed me pulling in slowly and my brake lights come on then go off and come back on again. Surely this means that I did put my brakes on then when the car accelerated I took them immediately off then slammed them on again but the car kept accelerating anyway and was unstoppable until it crashed.

So what really happened, this was all was over in a couple of minutes resulting in my iPace, Porsche being right offs (very unhappy neighbour) VW damaged, lamp post knocked right over and fence and part of wall destroyed.

Couple of months earlier the iPace had gone back to the manufacturers for a month as there was a problem with the battery charger, and the car lost total power, not before all the windows opened for some reason!

If anybody has had similar problems I would really like to know to compare, this had really unnerved me and I seriously thinking of going back to a diesel car.

Thanking you in advance
Julie
Sorry to learn of that disaster. I have on more than one occasion hit the side of the accelerator pedal from the edge of my right foot when pressing the brake pedal, resulting in a heart stopping surge until I realised my mistake. The pedals are a bit close together for my big feet. I even find that when my left foot is on the rest pad that I am slightly pushing the edge of the brake pedal angled lever.

Reactions: GSIpace

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to learn of that disaster. I have on more than one occasion hit the side of the accelerator pedal from the edge of my right foot when pressing the brake pedal, resulting in a heart stopping surge until I realised my mistake. The pedals are a bit close together for my big feet. I even find that when my left foot is on the rest pad that I am slightly pushing the edge of the brake pedal angled lever.
It would be nice to learn that JLR will be adjusting the pedals further apart (I also have big feet) - one incident like this is too many

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the technology surely there would be a black box recording like in planes. It wasn’t that long ago Boeing 737 Max were falling out of the sky and it wasn’t pilot error

·
Registered
MY20, HSE + Air suspension, Firenze Red
26 Posts
Sorry to read this, it must have been very alarming.
My guess is that your right foot was inadvertantly pressing both the brake and accelerator. As you increased brake pressure to try and slow the car, you also increased the throttle . . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanking you in advance
Julie
My guess is that your right foot was inadvertantly pressing both the brake and accelerator. As you increased brake pressure to try and slow the car, you also increased the throttle . . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merry Christmas everybody. After a sleepless night watching Sudden Accleration car accident compilations on YouTube (which incidentally is full of this stuff) I am horrified at what I've seen. I thought it interesting seeing that on certain Teslas if you put your foot on both pedals the brake pedal overrides the accelerator!! Wonder if this is the case with the iPace, need to speak to the service manager at my dealership, suppose it will be Wednesday now when they open again after Christmas. If you look at these clips on YouTube you will see that the vehicles (not all EV) turn into a monster both going forward and in reverse. I was pulling into a space on the side on the road in front of my sons house pressing gently on the brake - even if I was pressing the accelerator by mistake it wouldn't have gone off like a rocket I wasn't pressing that hard I was only slowing down from 15/120 mph. I really am struggling to get my head round it. I need to hassle somebody with an iPace on the supermarket car park and have a look at their foot pedals to see how close they are to each other. Please have a look at the YouTube clips I would be really interested in your view and of course like to hear from somebody else who has experienced this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Sons neighbours not happy especially owner of Porshe .....obvs, note lamp post in front garden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If i wear a certain pair of boots this happens to me. Thankfully after the first time im very aware and try not to drive with them on. I think the accelaerator pedal is very easily caught.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If i wear a certain pair of boots this happens to me. Thankfully after the first time im very aware and try not to drive with them on. I think the accelaerator pedal is very easily caught.
This is a valid point at this time of year, when people are more likely to wear boots which reduce pedal feel and can make it easier to catch the wrong pedal.

Reactions: No Combustion Here

·
Registered
2018 HSE Silicon Silver with the F-Type interior
39 Posts
Wow, well thanks for sharing. I will go to empty parking lot and try all pedal combinations to understand it better. Brake should override throttle!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The brake did not override throttle on my 2019.

I have size 12’s and as some point out, after walking the dogs with waterproof walking shoe I did hit both pedals.

the accelerator clean pulls through the foot brake and of course once you start moving when your mind thinks you are already on the brake you push harder! Thankfully I was in the middle of nowhere.

sorry to hear of your collision Julie, no one is hurt thankfully. All else is replaceable.

I think a software patch could easily cancel throttle if the brake were depressed but there are plenty who heel and toe or left foot brake so it would be a shame to do it. Perhaps make it a switchable feature in the dash settings.

Reactions: Tangellow5

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Good that no people were hurt including yourself, although it is incredibly painful when an accident happens.

I do feel that the pedals on the iPace could be better spaced. The brake pedal is offset to the left for me. I feel the accelerator pedal should be more towards the right and the brake pedal more in the middle of the footwell. I hope JLR takes notice and changes the design to decrease the chance of both pedal pressed simultaneously.

However, I also feel that there is increased chance of human error in EVs. I have seen videos of a Porsche Taycan speeding up a uphill drive and fall over the edge of an elevated dive when someone was supposed to be parking in their front drive.

A similar thing happened to me once, when I hit the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal in my IPace. Luckily it happened in my front drive, I was able to quickly stop the car successfully without any accident. I was taken aback as to why I hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal and had to analyse my driving to find the reason for this. And my conclusion was the following.

I was used to driving a ICE car until I got my IPace. I noticed the change in driving style with an EV especially with high regen and the one pedal driving. I was enjoying this new experience of EV driving... until this incident happened

With high regen, the braking procedure is just lifting off the pedal and the car decelerates to a stop. Whereas the standard procedure to stop an ICE car is to come off the accelerator and go straight to push down the brake pedal. I, like most other drivers have been driving ICE cars for decades. What is registered in the subconscious is to push the pedal to stop. My suspicion is that the human brain goes back to the the old learned procedure of pushing down the pedal, albeit without moving the leg to hit the brake pedal as it is in the process of learning to do one pedal driving. This is what I suspect had happened to me. I was lucky that I did not run in to an accident.

Therefore, after that incident, I changed my regen to low and left it at that ever since. The driving characteristics are now very similar to a ICE car and I never had that happen to me ever since (6 months now). I also find that when I occasionally drive my wife's car, I don't need to adapt my driving style to suit ICE cars.

I also think that when it comes to emergency stopping, there is no room to think and reflexes kick in. This could be a situation where the human brain may get a bit confused and between one pedal driving and emergency braking and may accidentally push the accelerator pedal. With so much power and torque on tap the consequences could be disastrous!

These are just my views about what had happened to me and what could happen to others too. Only a blackbox could find out exactly what has happened in these cases. I hope the motor industry and human factors experts look in to this and put in safety systems in to cars to avoid accidents.

Wishing everyone safe motoring!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts