Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a new topic to list Superfast CCS charging stations in Europe - currently planning route/stops for wintersport March 2019.

Mainly looking for CCS chargers (100kW or up) along the A3 in Germany:
Under construction: 6x 350kW Ionity Gewerbepark Dachsberg 8-12, 53604 Bad Honnef, Germany
Operational: 2x 175kW Fastned Limburg Süd, Brüsseler Straße 5A, Limburg an der Lahn
Operational: 4x 150kW E.on Scheinfelder Str. 15-23, Geiselwind
Under construction: 6x 350kW Ionity Karl-Schiller-Straße 16, 92348 Berg bei Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, Germany

Anyone found any other 100kW or up CCS charging stations between Venlo Netherlands and Passau Germany?
FYI It seems various gasstations along the A3 have at least 1x 50kW CCS so a good back-up.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fastned has expanded their stations in Germany, initially there was 1 now the map shows 6. All stations in Germany have 2x or 3x 175kW.
In their October update they mentioned 3 newly opened with 15 more under construction meaning at least 13 more to come.
View attachment 480

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Fastned has expanded their stations in Germany, initially there was 1 now the map shows 6. All stations in Germany have 2x or 3x 175kW.
In their October update they mentioned 3 newly opened with 15 more under construction meaning at least 13 more to come.
Capture.JPG
Thanks for letting us know! For the Dutch people, it is quite common to use the Frankfurt, Würzburg, Neurenberg, Ingolstadt, München route. Unfortunately, all these new stations (as well as the Ionity chargers) are not along this common route, but on intersecting highways.

For Ionity, it seems to make sense to drive via Stuttgart towards München.

I will wait another couple of months and will then decide whether I will drive to Slovenia in May with the i-Pace or not. If the number of 100kW chargers increase rapidly enough, I might be able to have a reasonable travel (spread over two days) and charging times for my i-Pace including tent trailer (driving 90km/h) and white water kayaks on top of the tent trailer... I expect a consumption around 32kWh/100km, so an 80% range of up to 200km between fast chargers. Time will tell if I am being too optimistic...!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just drove - using an VW e-Golf from Amsterdam to just beyond Koln. This is a 2 x 300 km trip. Should be 6 hours max in a normal car. It took me 13.5 (!) hours. Mainly due to chargers in Germany being:
- impossible to find
- broken
- non existent
- one per location

Granted, the range of the e-Golf is far less than the range of the i_pace, but with the current setup, I would not go on a vacation trip with an electric car in Germany. The infrastructure is completely unreliable and if it actually works, it is likely to be occupied. With the new Audis, Mercs, Porsches and others coming next year to Germany, it will become a nightmare unless some serious work is done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes this is a big issue and its going to get far worse without more planning and action. How often do you pull into a petrol station and find it is full (sometimes but rare), hard to find (they're everywhere), not working (almost never). Thats why I think charging may best work when at these facilities because they are manned so faults, queues can be reported and fixed promptly. Big oil need to get onboard and become big energy and be part of the transition. Maybe the bigger providers (Ionity etc) will get it done but none are global and oil companies already have the infrastructure at the best locations.. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
EDi99 said:
There is a solution for this -;). Red are 120kW supercharger-locations - grey are planned locations. By this time next year they will also provide a CCS connector. Ask Jaguar to join Tesla and it's solved.

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-24 om 05.52.23.png
It is not as simple as that.
Tesla in Europe uses a modified Type 2 plug. When the Supercharger detects a Tesla Model X or S it switches two of the pins from AC charging to DC and away it goes. This allows Tesla's to use other Type 2 chargers but at a much slower rate.

The Model 3 will be CCS only. So they will be modifying their Superchargers to take CCS as well as their existing connector.

Despite Tesla offering their SC network to other makes, non have taken it up. I wonder why? Perhaps the terms are silly? We don't know.
Then there is the EU directive that comes into force soon about Public Charging points having to be open to all.
It could mean that Tesla has to open up the SC network to everyone (cue much angst and even hatred from the Tesla faithful) and not just Jaguar. they could put a fence with a locked gate around all SC's and not make them public chargers.

At the moment, the CCS CP network is expanding quite rapidly but it is a PITA to go across borders and have to work through a different network. Perhaps that is why the Directive tries to make every CP take a credit card so that it is open to more users.

It is complicated is it not?

G

·
SammyD, i think that the EU Directive, if implemented, would only apply to new installations, and could not apply to the already installed Supercharger network. That might explain why Tesla will provide their European owners the ability to use CCS chargers. If the EU Directive comes with teeth, Tesla may simply call halt to expanding their network further, retaining it as a Tesla-only resource.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had a look for Super Fastchargers for upcoming summer trip to Lago Maggiore and pleasantly surprissed that there are plenty of Ionity chargers on the way, 1 is under construction but the rest is already build

248km = Raststätte Brohltal West, A61, 56651 Niederzissen, Germany
452km = Raststätte Bruchsal Ost, 76694 Forst, Germany
568km = Ladestation Mahlberg West, 77972, 77972 Mahlberg, Germany
748km = Raststätte Ost Tankstelle, 6023 Rothenburg, Switzerland
801km = Gotthard Raststätte, 6467 Schattdorf, Switzerland
895km = Via Galbisio 60, 6503 Bellinzona, Switzerland

After last station 117km to destination so that will work greats - if in summer the range is much better I can even skip some of above stations.
So from NL to CH or Northern Italy proves to be much better served than NL to AT/SK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.