Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've seen some positive comments about Octopus Energy on the forum, but would like to solicit some specific feedback from anyone who's switch to them lately. I like the concept of putting greener energy in my BEV and home. I'm currently on SSE Economy 7 and charge the I-Pace from 1am to 8am (BST) which works well. However, my SSE fixed tariff is about to end and I've been sent a £50 offer to switch to Octopus. The tariff the online quote engine generated for E7 was £700 cheaper a year so looks attractive. My questions are:

1) If you've switched to Octopus how was the process and was it a hassle?
2) Did you go for E7 which gives a 7 hour charging window or their EV product which is cheaper but only 4 hours? I lean towards the 7 hour window as typically I charge 50-70% each time so it's convenient to do it in one session.
3) Have the projected savings actually happened?

Many thanks.

Best, Rob

·
Registered
206 Posts
I switched a few weeks ago, painless, once smart meters installed I will be going onto the Go Tariff as the 4 hours a night will be plenty for my charging needs. As a family we likely use too much between 4 and 7 to use agile. It's already cheaper than my previous supplier before the night time use thing,

Referral code here should you go down the Octopus route, 50 quid credit on your account.

https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi RobN
I have Octopus at home for my EV and the switch went well. All done via Octopus account online and emails. Very smooth.
I also have a flat in London which I switched to a month ago. This also went very smoothly. Just there standard day/night tariff.
The Octopus Go tariff for EV's. 5p a KW between 12.30am - 4.30am. Works well for us.
The swap to Octopus and the tariff went smoothly.
Good luck and hope you decide to take up a Green Octopus tariff.

If interested take a look at this offer to have £50 off the Octopus Go tariff.

https://share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197

·
Registered
204 Posts
We switched to Octopus and the GO tariff. Works great for us currently with our Leaf, and the 4 hours should do for most of my Ipace use once I get it. Particually as next week get a Zappi charger to allow solar panels to charge the cars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

Making the switch...

Thanks Al for the link to £50 off voucher, I already had one from an email promo they sent (hence my original interest).

Best, Rob

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
RobN said:
Thanks all,

Making the switch...

Thanks Al for the link to £50 off voucher, I already had one from an email promo they sent (hence my original interest).

Best, Rob
I guess I'd you use Al's link, you'll both make use of a £50 voucher, which is better than just you have a £50 voucher. Is that right Al?

·
Registered
153 Posts
fa147 said:
RobN said:
Thanks all,

Making the switch...

Best, Rob
I guess I'd you use Al's link, you'll both make use of a £50 voucher, which is better than just you have a £50 voucher. Is that right Al?
Yes that's correct. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Al,

Apologies, I missed the subtlety of the offer and your post, so used their original offer!

Best, Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Al's Ipace said:
Hi RobN
I have Octopus at home for my EV and the switch went well. All done via Octopus account online and emails. Very smooth.
I also have a flat in London which I switched to a month ago. This also went very smoothly. Just there standard day/night tariff.
The Octopus Go tariff for EV's. 5p a KW between 12.30am - 4.30am. Works well for us.
The swap to Octopus and the tariff went smoothly.
Good luck and hope you decide to take up a Green Octopus tariff.

If interested take a look at this offer to have £50 off the Octopus Go tariff.

https://share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197
Al I think I clicked your link at some point as when I signed up for Octopus Agile It gave me the 50 pounds credit. You should have got one also! :lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I second that, I moved across from Pure Planet last month, specifically to get the 'Go' tariff. I already had a smart meter, so the switch was really easy. Not had the first bill yet which will be interesting to see...!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Question regarding Solar Panel generation
At the moment I'm paid for all the electric that I produce from my Solar Panels even if I use it all. Will this still apply with a SMART meter on an Octopus Tariff?

·
Registered
153 Posts
baz99 said:
At the moment I'm paid for all the electric that I produce from my Solar Panels even if I use it all. Will this still apply with a SMART meter on an Octopus Tariff?
Hi Baz99.
I don't see how fitting a smart meter should affect your tariff for the Solar Panels. The smart meter allows you to to see your energy usage a lot better. The Octopus Go Tariff and a smart meter allows you to see the usage when charging your car at the 5p rate from 12.30am to 04.30am. It's a great way to check you keep to that 5p rate.
I'm waiting on my Solar Panels and Battery system to be fitted. Do you have any Battery's on your system?

·
Registered
204 Posts
baz99 said:
Yes!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not sure if it is a yes on the Agile Tariff as you are selling electric back to Octopus at selected times of day.

Answering AI's iPace
I have a 13 kWh Tesla power wall battery backup located in the Garage. It works well for me as I use all the electric that I produce from Solar. On a sunny day I can charge the car knowing that if the sun clouds over the battery will take over, (up to 5kW), until the sun comes out again

This time of year I still get benefit as the Tesla app automatically charges the battery from the mains during the economy 7 period so I can power the house 24 hours on night rate electric.

So I'm just wondering what happens with Octopus Agile..... will the payments stop if I'm using all the electric?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am on Octopus Go and still get paid for solar generation (smart meter installed). The same should apply to the Agile tariff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the info Baz99.
I have joined a local council scheme that gives panels and batteries ( the batteries are Pylon Tech ) at a very much reduced package cost. I have my chat with the installer in a few weeks time so I'm gathering all the info I can.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts