Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesco and VW plan free electric car charging points

This is great news for the UK

Free charging for electric cars will be available for customers at some Tesco stores from next year.

Tesco, in partnership with Volkswagen, plans to install almost 2,500 charging bays at up to 600 stores by 2020.

A standard 7kW charger will be available for free, but drivers will have to pay for a faster service.

Customers will be able to leave their cars to charge while doing their shopping, which should give time for a "substantial" free charge, VW said.

How long it will take to fully replenish the battery will depend on the type of car. A company called Podpoint will build the charging facilities for VW and Tesco.

Volkswagen has two electric vehicles on the market in the UK, the e-Golf and the e-Up. It has sold about 1,350 of the cars since they went on sale four years ago, but has plans for a massive expansion.

By 2020 it wants to offer an electric version of all its models.

The Tesco/VW move has been welcomed by the RAC.

"For more than a year we have been calling for charging infrastructure in places where drivers are likely to spend extended periods of time, such as supermarkets and public car parks," said RAC spokesman Rod Dennis.

It "may even be enough to tempt some of those thinking of switching" to an electric vehicle, he added.

"The sight of a line of cars charging in a supermarket is about to become much more common, and will be a clear signal that the dawn of electric vehicles, and with all the air quality benefits that they bring, really is arriving."

Transport Minister Jesse Norman said the government welcomed Tesco's pledge to put some 2,400 new charge bays across their stores.

More here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-46386858

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've used the Fast Charger at one of the Trial Sites a few times. This is at Tesco's in Crawley.
There are two slow chargers right outside the main entrance. These are the free ones.
Around the back and across the road near the Petrol Station is the Fast Charger (CHAdeMO and CCS).
IT isn't ideally placed as you have to get through the queue for 'Click and Collect' to get to it.
Also, the path to the store is not very nice. I've seen several large rats on my visits and this was in broad daylight.

The fact that most of these chargers will be slow ones is IMHO wrong. Two+ years ago they might have been welcome but with more and more cars coming onto the market with 40kW+ batteries we need more fast chargers urgently.

By contrast there are also Pod-Point slow chargers outside a number of Sainsburys. For example, Leicester North, Godalming, Kew and Kings Lynn.
There are at least 6 charging points at each of those.
Like Tesla has found, you need more than a couple of CP's at any one location where there are lots of people coming and going.
Two slow chargers in 2019? Please!
That 2500 CP's in 600 stores is just over 4 per store. Why not 10 per store? It can't be that much more to put in 10 over 2 can it?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I agree it could be better, but at least it's a start and will only get better, small steps and all that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts