Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for missing something, but I am not too sure why the new 11kw charge capability is such a bonus. My thinking is as follows.

Most household chargers which supply AC are 7Kw..only the 3 phase ones are 22kw and I doubt many have these. So 11Kw on the car doesnt help.

If you go for a public charger, you will use a CCS one which is DC ...so no need for the 11kw charger.

So why is the 2023 upgrade to an 11kw charger a bonus ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe in Europe its more common to have a 3 phase supply to a home, so you could then have an 11kw ac charger.

In the UK, its uncommon, so we are stuck at 7.4kw/h.

Reactions: ICDP_EV

·
Registered
304 Posts
1. It's a bonus because it is free.

Or if you prefer a more substantial benefit:

2. Because many destination chargers are 22kW (town centres, workplaces, hotels, holiday hotspots, supermarkets etc). So for every hour you use such a charger you get ~17 miles added at 7kW, compared to ~25 miles of range at 11kW.

3. As you said, many people have 3 phase power supplies and can then charge at 11kW at home as opposed to 7kW. These are more common for home in the US and Europe.

Edit: Fluff beat me to point 3.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Forgive me for missing something, but I am not too sure why the new 11kw charge capability is such a bonus. My thinking is as follows.

Most household chargers which supply AC are 7Kw..only the 3 phase ones are 22kw and I doubt many have these. So 11Kw on the car doesnt help.

If you go for a public charger, you will use a CCS one which is DC ...so no need for the 11kw charger.

So why is the 2023 upgrade to an 11kw charger a bonus ?
It was a MY21 upgrade not a MY23.

Some public chargers are 22Kwh too and offices and other workplaces. Yes practically it is useless for home charging but not entirely without value elsewhere. I don't think I have ever used it though on 2 years.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have 3-phase 25A supply at my home. So max I can get is 16A/phase (need something for the house too), meaning my 2019 I-Pace gets only 3,7kW. New I-pace would be able to charge 3 times faster, but it's not reason enough to get new one jet, when driven less than 60000km. Still planning to go 18 months or so. Probably need to order new car in the beginning of 2023 to get it 2024. Or maybe wait for Range Rover EV 2024.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not forgettin also that most of the AC public points of charge in Europe are 22kw 3-phase so 11kW OBC can be useful for public charging too. It's not a revolution, but at the end it's a 1.5x slow charge speed compared to the previuos model.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 22kw wall charger charges the ipace at 11.8kw, the 3 phase is important to me as my solar is 3 phase, only using single phase charger would cut my available solar to 1/3

If i ever upgrade to a 22kw capable car I will probably limit the charge to 11kw, as more than that would often exceed my 'spare ' solar energy, meaning id be paying to charge faster than i need - or i could fit the extra smart board to my charger and let it control itself

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know I have already commented but I was just thinking of one of the major barriers (in my experience) that people put up to reject EVs as a viable option. Basically it is the concept that the EV dictates how you travel, not the occupants?

A perfect personal example for me. Our last car was an E-Ton 50 and during a 220 mile family trip from the east to the west coast of Ireland, we had two choices.

A faster more direct route utilising a rapid charger and stopping for 20 - 45 minutes to avail of the ever so delightful motorway service station facilities and some pre-cooked and reheated meals. This is the typical scenario for EV owners and most of them try to convince themselves and others, that this is a perfectly nice way to spend some family time.

Or a slightly longer less direct route with a detour to stop for a few hours at Kildare shopping village, do some shopping, see some of the sights and grab a nice fresh cooked lunch in much better surroundings. The less direct route only had AC chargers, so 11kW max but we were ready to go after 3 hours ('we' being the operative word). At this point the car had 70 more miles of range and we got to the west coast nicely refreshed and we have some nice memories of Kildare.

Had the car only been able to do 7kW we would have needed to stay for about 4.5 hours for the same 70ish miles of charge and while hardly a horrible prospect, it would mean sitting around impatiently waiting for the car to give us the range and buffer we needed.

A perfect case of the EV dictating the agenda and not the other way around.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ireland looks pretty sparse for charging points so I left the IPace at home and hired a car for a trip back in May, Im sure it will improve, maybe I will take the plunge next year.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Republic of Ireland is OK, but Northern Ireland is a wasteland for decent rapid chargers.
Mmm, not sure it’s that OK
Most seem to be ESB chargers 22kw 3 phase are well used so 1 phase charging would be slow.
ESB prices are less than UK chargers are they contactless, RFID or App to pay

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’m more referring to the fact there are a reasonable number of 100kW or faster rapid chargers compared to zero in the North. Though that is not just a low bar because there is no bar at all. Still a long way from enough to cope with the surge in EV sales but the last time I was there I did at least have 100kW+ options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts