Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing tread shredding with Goodyear Eagle Sport 245/50 R20 tires. My fronts are crumbling while the rears are normal. This is after 22,000km/14,000mi. My snow tires with similar mileage show no wear difference. The car is mostly highway driven.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
71 Posts
At 30,000 miles I have some signs of crumbling, but not that bad. I assumed it was because I live in an area with lots of brick streets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those tires look like my 4X4's all terrain tires after driving hundreds of miles on unsealed gravel roads in the "outback". Those marks are cuts and chips from sharp gravel. Have you been driving on roads with broken edges, many potholes, off-roading etc?

A good explanation below describing the "sipe" damage on your tires.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
684 Posts
You say mostly highway driving, this is the sort of damage you get driving off-road when sharp stones are present, especially flints, even heavy duty tractor tyres are shredded by flints.
Also if loose flints are carried onto a hard surface that will cut the tread as well, the heavier and more powerful the worse it gets, front tyres pick up the stones clearing the way for the rear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those tires look like my 4X4's all terrain tires after driving hundreds of miles on unsealed gravel roads in the "outback". Those marks are cuts and chips from sharp gravel. Have you been driving on roads with broken edges, many potholes, off-roading etc?

A good explanation below describing the "sipe" damage on your tires.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks Steve,

No off road driving at all. Just paved city and highway. The rear tires show no wear like this at all. That is why I am perplexed and asking the question.

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a similar behaviour after 12.000 km (sligltly less to be honest) and my friend at the tire shop told me "easy with your right foot" as according to him it's the damage you get using the full power of the car :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts