Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my '19 MY for a week but one thing I have noticed is that when I floor the accelerator from low or moderate speed the car tends to lurch a bit to the right before correcting itself. It reminds me of the torque steer I used to get from my FWD SAAB turbo. Is this normal - as a result of the significant torque available when driving it like a yob, or should I get the car checked over?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can definitely feel the front motor when pushing the car hard. I guess it comes on when asking for a lot of torque. I don't know if I've felt it lurching but there's torque steer to some degree.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would say not, under full power the car just sits its back end down and gets going - I did eat my first front tyres in about 10,000 miles, but after getting the tracking adjusted I'm hoping for a much better figure on the second set. I did ease of the use of 'full' power, as it can be a bit OTT, so a rolling start is still very impressive to the dinosaur cars......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've just been out to try different drive modes - Eco, Dynamic, Comfort - all the same. Only occurs if I floor the accelerator below 30 mph. I'm thinking it must be the phenomenal torque besting the traction control temporarily on the poor surface of the local Cornish roads. Hopefully more sensible driving will prevail soon!

·
Registered
841 Posts
On the occasions I have floored the accelerator overtaking mine has always been straight and true, commendably so for a heavy car. Maybe the road camber had an effect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get a speed wobble at a certain place on my farm lane, when doing 'off highway' throttle response checks.

I think is more a loss of steering wheel back pressure than the car acually deviating

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've only had my '19 MY for a week but one thing I have noticed is that when I floor the accelerator from low or moderate speed the car tends to lurch a bit to the right before correcting itself. It reminds me of the torque steer I used to get from my FWD SAAB turbo. Is this normal - as a result of the significant torque available when driving it like a yob, or should I get the car checked over?
Silly question, but have you eliminated driver interaction with the steering.
While I rarely floor the car, I remember when I first got kitty I took her out on the local roads to see what she could do. I was not totally appreciative of how sudden the acceleration could be, and found that flooring the throttle instantaneous threw me back into the seat (albeit only maybe only an inch or so). When that happens, our body reaction is not quick enough to adjust immediately, and I found that depending on which hand was the dominant one on the steering wheel the car would jerk to one side momentarily before I recovered and adjusted.

Do you hold the wheel most securely with your right hand?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silly question, but have you eliminated driver interaction with the steering.
While I rarely floor the car, I remember when I first got kitty I took her out on the local roads to see what she could do. I was not totally appreciative of how sudden the acceleration could be, and found that flooring the throttle instantaneous threw me back into the seat (albeit only maybe only an inch or so). When that happens, our body reaction is not quick enough to adjust immediately, and I found that depending on which hand was the dominant one on the steering wheel the car would jerk to one side momentarily before I recovered and adjusted.

Do you hold the wheel most securely with your right hand?
Sounds like an excuse for another testing session 😀
I'll let you know. I am right hand dominant.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Floored mine every day and it never torque steered. I actually thought it was a massive achievement on Jaguars part.... so I think something is up with yours.... are the tyre pressures correct? Do you have a bald inner? I'm sure something isn't correct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had this occasionally last Wednesday, off a roundabout onto dual carriageway booted as the road straightened and the front and rear were fight for grip pulling to one side which I had to correct.
I am on winter tyres and the roads were slightly greasy as had rained earlier.
it’s basically too much power breaking the traction of the tyre, just like Hi-siding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say not, under full power the car just sits its back end down and gets going - I did eat my first front tyres in about 10,000 miles, but after getting the tracking adjusted I'm hoping for a much better figure on the second set. I did ease of the use of 'full' power, as it can be a bit OTT, so a rolling start is still very impressive to the dinosaur cars......
That’s right it does squat on its back wheels lightening the load on the front ones, I would check the tyres front and back for pressure and evenness of wear on each tyre and across each side of the car (assuming tyres haven’t been mixed).

·
Registered
2018 HSE Silicon Silver with the F-Type interior
80 Posts
My 2018 hse pulls to the right when accelerating , before you told me about torque steer i thought i needed A realignment . And the airconditioning turns itself on at a/c max after a launchmode. Sometimes the radio starts. I think its hilarious 🙂

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed on the Interstate (Motorway) that if I mash on the throttle with adaptive cruise and steering assist engaged, the car starts moving into the right lane as it seems unable to recognize or account for the sudden torque steer. I assume that when driving without those aids that I naturally turn the steering wheel to accommodate it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, without doubt iPace does experience torque steer under extreme acceleration and always to the right side, it is barely detectable and given the instant torque available perhaps to be expected. The lack of complicated differentials and torque vectoring doesn’t help, the level is so low it does not hurt the ride and handling.

Reactions: elbocko
1 - 18 of 18 Posts