Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Credit where credit is due. IPace went into Hendy Southampton yesterday for the TCU software update to v20.2. No problems encountered with the update and the car was washed and ready for pick-up by mid-afternoon.

They provided me with an MY21 IPace S as a loaner. Excellent service, I think. Worth noting that it was three weeks between booking and the appointment time.

Now I know that my TCU did not need replacing and there were no hick-ups, as others have experienced at different dealerships; however, the dealership was a nice place to be at and the people were friendly and efficient. Good job, Hendy Southampton.

Now, a few observations, IMHO, comparing my MY18 HSE to the MY21 S. Clearly there are just a few more options on my HSE (as there will of course be, it is after all an HSE).

Air vs Steel Suspension: Steel, on the S, was perfectly fine and got the job done well. However, Air is just much more accomplished at getting the job done. Much more refined, ironing out the road imperfections (there are a lot of those on our roads) without any wallowing or floating. Air should be better, given the cost of the option but good to have confirmation by direct comparison driving on the same roads. This result even though my HSE has 22" wheels and the S had 20" wheels on All Season tyres.

Pivi Pro vs Touch Pro. Touch Pro, on my HSE, is good but is old tech and slow. Give it a little bit of time to spin up, on start, and it will do the job well. Especially since JLR have ironed out all (most?) of the bugs that beset it early in the life-cycle. Pivi Pro, on the S, is a level up on Touch. Pivi is so much more user friendly, quicker on start, and has been developed in such a way as to be generally a better version of infotainment. Well done JLR. Pivi worked fine for the time I had the S so I guess any bugs have been fixed. I am not comparing against other makes, I'm sure some are better and some are worse.

The rest of the car doesn't appear to have changed that much between the older and newer versions. I prefer the leather seats to the non-leather. The brake pedal itself, when used, sometimes creaks on both models. The S model didn't have the clear-view rear view mirror (camera) so I wasn't able to compare but I wish I had that on my HSE.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great write-up Phil. Would you say Pivi is a big game changer compared to Touch Pro? I'm still trying to decide whether I should dish out 10-20k extra for a used I-Pace and go for a newer model with Pivi Pro. It would basically mean I'm paying that extra money just for Pivi, since the rest is basically the same. I don't care much about 3 phase charging in the newer models.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Mirto, if Pivi is the only reason then I would no, it is not a big enough game changer to justify 10-20k extra.
Good morning Phil…

Glad the update went well and there were no hitches or hiccups. When you now check for a TCU software update (1) what is the message displayed and (2) does it show the rainbow coloured square blocks as it searches for an update as if it’s thinking or is it nearly instantaneous providing a message?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good write-up and overview of your experience. I do feel a lot of the issues and general importance of an infotainment system are exaggerated somewhat for all cars.

Thanks as well for the comparison on steel vs air suspension, very enlightening. As someone who's last few cars had either air or adaptive suspension, I was happy enough with the stock I-Pace coils on 20" alloys. A case of good enough for the majority of uses, but if you want to take it to the next level then get air suspension.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Good morning Phil…

Glad the update went well and there were no hitches or hiccups. When you now check for a TCU software update (1) what is the message displayed and (2) does it show the rainbow coloured square blocks as it searches for an update as if it’s thinking or is it nearly instantaneous providing a message?
Hi Aurora, for the TCU software update, it says: "No software update available" and it is a nearly instantaneous message. No squares. Good result?

However, for the Infotainment software (S21B), it displays the rainbow-coloured squares for a little time then says: "There is software to update" but does not give me the option to update it. Has anyone updated the infotainment software over the air?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Aurora, for the TCU software update, it says: "No software update available" and it is a nearly instantaneous message. No squares. Good result.

However, for the Infotainment software (S21B), it displays the rainbow-coloured squares for a little time then says: "There is software to update" but does not give me the option to update it. Has anyone updated the infotainment software over the air?
My Infotainment was already up to date and the TCU had to be pushed to the car but still doesn’t search for software and instantaneously shows the message “No Software Update Available”.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My infotainment software is showing as "up-to-date", without me having to do anything or accept/approve anything. Hmmmmm....
Yes some have told me you have to agree or approve T&Cs but my car was 2nd hand from a dealership so the previous owner may have already accepted T&Cs. Perhaps the deal shop agreed to the T&Cs when it went in?

I’m learning that the Dealership we bought the car from went out of their way not to up date the TCU and left it three years old but updated the Infotainment on the 8Th December 2021.

I’m very cautious now about trusting anything they say.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts