Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t been that happy with the Pirelli tyres and now that they are needing to be changed at 20,000 miles I am wanting to change to Michelin.

The Pilot Sport EV AC are 255/45 R22 whereas the factory fit are 255/40 R22.
Do you think the 45 profile will be a problem?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Drop it into a tire calculator to see the percentage increase that represents in overall diameter. As long as you're under 5%, you're probably okay. Off the top of my head, I suspect it could be borderline. I run 265/40/22, which means my sidewalls are a bit larger as well, though not to the same extent that a 45 would be.
I do agree that the Pilot Sport EV would likely be the ideal tire though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drop it into a tire calculator to see the percentage increase that represents in overall diameter. As long as you're under 5%, you're probably okay. Off the top of my head, I suspect it could be borderline. I run 265/40/22, which means my sidewalls are a bit larger as well, though not to the same extent that a 45 would be.
I do agree that the Pilot Sport EV would likely be the ideal tire though.
Hello,

So you are running the above sizes with no issues or rubbing? My F Pace is running these wheel and tyre sizes 265 and I am told bolt straight onto the I-Pace but the tyres for the I-Pace are 255 , would be lovely if they’re ok ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a comparison:
Tyre size comparison
Width(mm)Height(%)Diameter(")Diameter(")Speed difference(mph)Difference between diameters
Standard
size
Alternative size2654022770.850.52101.04151.561.04%8 mm

·
Registered
140 Posts
Using a 265 tyre instead of a 255 tyre may reduce your range slightly.

Continental do a 255 size tyre with ContiSeal and ContiSilent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When you put a tyre which is different from the manufacturer's recommendation, it would class as a modification and you may want to let your insurer know. Otherwise, it may invalidate your insurance.
And as already pointed out here, your speed reading may be inaccurate too as the car speedo would have been calibrated to the original tyre size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you put a tyre which is different from the manufacturer's recommendation, it would class as a modification and you may want to let your insurer know. Otherwise, it may invalidate your insurance.
And as already pointed out here, your speed reading may be inaccurate too as the car speedo would have been calibrated to the original tyre size.
That’s great , Thanks 🙏🏻

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello,

So you are running the above sizes with no issues or rubbing? My F Pace is running these wheel and tyre sizes 265 and I am told bolt straight onto the I-Pace but the tyres for the I-Pace are 255 , would be lovely if they’re ok ?
No issues. I'm running 22" Style 1020 wheels from the F-Pace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Continental do a 255 size tyre with ContiSeal and ContiSilent.
I've changed from Pirelli to the above Continental's. Only reason was availability when I needed 2 tyres quickly due to punctures that couldn't be repaired, (all 4 were getting ready for replacement anyway)

Have to say, the ContiSilent is really effective - tyre noise is pretty much eliminated on motorways, which being EV, accounted for most of the background cabin noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I used to do a very high mileage in my XF S I always found the Goodyear tyres to give the best feel / feedback. Pirelli’s always felt muted / hard (thus nois) with slightly less grip in the corners. Sensed this on Beamers too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts