Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 iPace.
I had an accident and when it came back after being fixed Feb-May 2022 I made 2 config changes.
I'm attaching a plot of the kWh/100 miles smoothed over three journeys.
What do you think I changed?
I'm still driving the same journeys every day. It's a big mystery to me.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2019 iPace.
I had an accident and when it came back after being fixed Feb-May 2022 I made 2 config changes.
I'm attaching a plot of the kWh/100 miles smoothed over three journeys.
What do you think I changed?
I'm still driving the same journeys every day. It's a big mystery to me.
View attachment 7441
The season, and possibly your attitude to driving. Temp makes a very big difference

·
Registered
841 Posts
Warm dry weather compared with cold and wet makes a big difference, traffic flow also, slow moving heavy traffic is very good, stop start traffic or high speed is bad.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Same brake or changed ? Sometimes if you don’t do proper maintenance on brakes they could get sized (a bit) and consumption goes up. When you do maintenance on them or change them the consumption could go down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That data goes back to November 2020 - so all seasons and temperatures. Can we agree there's been a step change in my efficiency since I got the car back?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That data goes back to November 2020 - so all seasons and temperatures. Can we agree there's been a step change in my efficiency since I got the car back?
The efficiency is cyclic throughout the year. Your current data is not significantly different to a year ago. You may have made changes, but this data is what you would expect. I see no statistical difference between this year and last (noting that the temperature and weather are not the same on June 1st each year, so the efficiency data will not be identical)
It been reported tyres can make up to 10% difference, but driving style (eco, comfort or dynamic), in of themselves make no difference.

Please enlightens us with your changes and we can debate whether they explain the data.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I would do an average over seven days kind of graph to make it easier to see the actual changes. Maybe grab some weather data too if you want to be really fancy seeing as ambient temp has a major impact as noted.

As for your changes, are you preconditioning the battery? Lowered the cabin temp settings? Drive with the mirrors folded in? Increased tyre pressures? Sold one of your kids? Decreased regen? Changed radio station to something more soothing? You have decreased the distance to cars in front when using cruise control? You’re setting the cruise to a lower speed? You have enabled real-time traffic routing and found a quicker and/or a less hilly route to work?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The efficiency is cyclic throughout the year. Your current data is not significantly different to a year ago. You may have made changes, but this data is what you would expect. I see no statistical difference between this year and last (noting that the temperature and weather are not the same on June 1st each year, so the efficiency data will not be identical)
It been reported tyres can make up to 10% difference, but driving style (eco, comfort or dynamic), in of themselves make no difference.

Please enlightens us with your changes and we can debate whether they explain the data.
It’s not just the graph. The reason I looked at the stats is that I’m now getting an actual range of 230 ish miles between charges. The max I ever got before was 172 miles and believe me I’ve been keeping obsessive records on this since I knew the vehicle was supposed to get more.

Can‘t say I quite agree with you on the chart data though o_O

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I would do an average over seven days kind of graph to make it easier to see the actual changes. Maybe grab some weather data too if you want to be really fancy seeing as ambient temp has a major impact as noted.

As for your changes, are you preconditioning the battery? Lowered the cabin temp settings? Drive with the mirrors folded in? Increased tyre pressures? Sold one of your kids? Decreased regen? Changed radio station to something more soothing? You have decreased the distance to cars in front when using cruise control? You’re setting the cruise to a lower speed? You have enabled real-time traffic routing and found a quicker and/or a less hilly route to work?
I like your list. One of those is actually correct. I’ll try the 7 day data.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have also said about my car: The reason I got suspicious there'd been a change was that the car was going longer between charges. As of now the trip distance since refuelling + estimated remaining miles is never under 230 and actually goes up. It always used to go down and I'd end up getting max 172 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've done some statistical analysis on the data now. Sorry if you already know this but the thing to look at is the p value which assesses the likelihood that the two data sets are actually the same and the variation 'seen' is down to random fluctuation. The means of the two data sets (before accident, after accident) are 47.62 and 38.55. The p value for the two sets is 2.44 * 10e-10. So that means it's EXTREMELY unlikely that the two data sets are the same i.e. VERY likely there's been a fundamental change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should have also said about my car: The reason I got suspicious there'd been a change was that the car was going longer between charges. As of now the trip distance since refuelling + estimated remaining miles is never under 230 and actually goes up. It always used to go down and I'd end up getting max 172 miles.
I never got more than 172 miles even in the heights of the balmy London summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seeing as you wrote config I think out of that list that you turned off regen. As in, it’s more efficient to coast in a lot of cases and only brake when actually needed.
OK you are right and I'll stop being coy now: The two changes I made were turning regen from high to low and I turned on creep ahead. I agree with your reasoning.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never understood why people like driving with high regen: passengers will get sea-sick, brake lights will switch on/off like a stroboscope and it costs more energy (regen is not as efficient as turning that energy into further distance). Lift your foot early from "the gas", and keep coasting.
Besides that, I think it is also more dangerous. When approaching a corner with your foot on "the gas" increases your response time compared to your foot hovering above the brake.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts