Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Incidentally. I prefer low regen because I do still drive an ICE vehicle on a fair few occassions. So it is always safer to stick to a particular style of driving and low regen is much closer to how pretty much 100% of us were trained to drive.

I just liked my wife's impeccable logic when she asked why the car jerking so much when she drove it. I explained one pedal driving and she asked, 'does it make the battery go further' and I said, no. So she said what's the point then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you saying that my extra 60 miles range per charge is what we could expect from changing the regen given about the same temperature?
No, I'm saying the difference between last June and this June may include a small contribution from switching to low regen. But, the variability of climate between June '21 and June '22 may dominate/obscure or even compensate for the effect of switching to low regen. Without fully evaluating and controlling for the climate factors, you are not going to get a statistically meaningful answer from your data. Believe what you want about the efficiency of low regen, but don't try to prove it to others with an incomplete dataset.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you saying that my extra 60 miles range per charge is what we could expect from changing the regen given about the same temperature?
It would be better to do a few test runs with low then high back to back after ensuring the car is warmed up. This would remove environmental and climate differences.

EDIT: I have consistently got 2 - 3% better efficiency in coast mode doing the above. At first it could be seen as external factors but it was the same over multiple tests. 2 - 3% may not seem much but considering I am getting 263 miles on a full charge, but that equals 5-8 miles more range in mixed driving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
No, I'm saying the difference between last June and this June may include a small contribution from switching to low regen. But, the variability of climate between June '21 and June '22 may dominate/obscure or even compensate for the effect of switching to low regen. Without fully evaluating and controlling for the climate factors, you are not going to get a statistically meaningful answer from your data. Believe what you want about the efficiency of low regen, but don't try to prove it to others with an incomplete dataset.
“Believe what you like” … “Don’t try to prove”
I’m here looking for answers, not trying to prove anything. You might have an axe to grind though?

·
Registered
83 Posts
“Believe what you like” … “Don’t try to prove”
I’m here looking for answers, not trying to prove anything. You might have an axe to grind though?
No axe to grind. Personally do not care how you explain your efficiency data. My only concern is future readers of this forum reading BS and feeling it must be true if it hasn't been challenged.

A number of forum members have told you that low regen would only account for a few % points of your efficiency at best. I've stated my opinion and placed it on the record.

If you disagree, fine. But when you come looking for answers, it is usually best to have an open mind and evaluate what others have to say.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran with low regen for a couple of days and haven’t seen any difference worth mentioning. I also prefer high regen so went back to it. With my driving style I would be surprised if it would make a difference tbh.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ran with low regen for a couple of days and haven’t seen any difference worth mentioning. I also prefer high regen so went back to it. With my driving style I would be surprised if it would make a difference tbh.
Do you do mostly motorway miles, or more spirited dirving?

I would say that when you get profficient at one pedal driving, it would be negligible difference in efficiency between the two modes in an I-Pace. I just fee you have to work a bit harder in high regen to achieve a level of smoothness that requires almost no effort in low regen. So as far as I can see there are no substantial benefits and it is just a matter or personal choice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I set regen to the infinitely variable option,
That way I can have coast, light or heavy regen and all stages between, and all without the slightest hint of "jerkiness"
The same adjuster can also be used to infinitely vary the gap to followed traffic and to smooth out the inefficient tendency of cruise contol applying alternate bursts of max power and max regen on undulating roads, very versatile.
It's located in the driver's footwell on the right.

Reactions: elbocko

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
@Terry60. I tried to explain that to Autocar when their testers complain about not having the ability to set differing levels of regen using steering wheel paddles. You would have thought that their testers would understand that the right pedal is not binary. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Terry60

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have seen changes like this after tyre changes. Did you happen to change those after the accident? Even adjusting tyre pressure from 2.5 to 3.0 bar could give such change.

I absolutely love the one pedal driving and would not change even if it saves 2%. If that would really be an issue, slow down 😉.

There are of course situations where having your foot on the brake would have been better, but I think regen provides overall s better handling performance and safer driving experience. Bikers among us know that coasting and braking in curves is very bad for your drive line, while going powered through corners and using engine compression gives excellent control. Regen does exactly that, and not only in corners.

PS: if you have not tried yet, go for a ride on an EV motorcycle with regen ON...amazing!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Low regen is not no regen in an I-Pace. So your are still doing regen when you modulate the throttle in low regen mode. The regen is just not as extreme when you let the throttle off completely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen changes like this after tyre changes. Did you happen to change those after the accident? Even adjusting tyre pressure from 2.5 to 3.0 bar could give such change.

I absolutely love the one pedal driving and would not change even if it saves 2%. If that would really be an issue, slow down 😉.

There are of course situations where having your foot on the brake would have been better, but I think regen provides overall s better handling performance and safer driving experience. Bikers among us know that coasting and braking in curves is very bad for your drive line, while going powered through corners and using engine compression gives excellent control. Regen does exactly that, and not only in corners.

PS: if you have not tried yet, go for a ride on an EV motorcycle with regen ON...amazing!!!
Both modes are regenerative on lift off - and hitting the brake pedal (as long as not too hard) is regen too.
It's just trail braking promoting oversteer / turn in whether via life off throttle (heavy regen) or lift off throttle and/or brake.
I prefer light regen but then my other car is a 911 (in which trail braking is something you quickly learn to embrace - albeit not required at road speeds).

41 - 52 of 52 Posts