Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a USB stick with music on it that I used in my last car.
When I put it in the i-Pace it says Unsupported Format (basically).
Anyone get their USB music stick to work? Which formats?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The IPace only supports FAT and FAT32. If you are using a bigger USB stick (like I do) than windows 10 will not be able to format the stick in these formats. It will be exFAT or NTFS. You will be able to use a third party tool for formatting in the required formats. Windows will complain and offer to repair the stick. Just ignore and copy the music. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me try that. I thought I had formatted FAT32, but I did burn it on Win10 machine.

Nope, Properties say FAT32, 64gb stick.

EDIT - OK: If somehow you burn a FAT32/exFAT stick on a Win10 machine it can have READ ONLY attributes set. This can only be removed by the machine where the stick was burned. Copied content to another stick on a Win7 machine, and it now works excellent.
So I'm going to assume the READ ONLY attribute was the problem.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
McRat said:
Let me try that. I thought I had formatted FAT32, but I did burn it on Win10 machine.

Nope, Properties say FAT32, 64gb stick.

EDIT - OK: If somehow you burn a FAT32/exFAT stick on a Win10 machine it can have READ ONLY attributes set. This can only be removed by the machine where the stick was burned. Copied content to another stick on a Win7 machine, and it now works excellent.
So I'm going to assume the READ ONLY attribute was the problem.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 10 where MS owns the machine and not you. It is really sad that they have removed so much stuff that was there in Windows 7 and still made it worse. {I developed Software for 40+ years and every update to windows brought lots of new problems}
It might be worth trying to make a VM of the Windows 7 machine and running on the W10 system under Virtualbox. That might save you the trouble of copying things over. Virtualbox is free by the way.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just wish there was a way to play my Spotify tunes using the USB connection from my phone or from a data sim instead of over "lossy" Bluetooth. I know that Spotify is already compressed, but having to even more compressed over Bluetooth negates the point of having a high end sound system. Anyone manage to get this working? I don't have apple play nor android auto, so maybe it works better with them.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
mclarenpaul said:
I just wish there was a way to play my Spotify tunes using the USB connection from my phone or from a data sim instead of over "lossy" Bluetooth. I know that Spotify is already compressed, but having to even more compressed over Bluetooth negates the point of having a high end sound system. Anyone manage to get this working? I don't have apple play nor android auto, so maybe it works better with them.
It doesn't help you much, but yes Apple CarPlay (and I assume Android Auto) plays over the USB connection.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
mclarenpaul said:
It doesn't help you much, but yes Apple CarPlay (and I assume Android Auto) plays over the USB connection.
Goshdarnit, that's great to know. I'm awaiting a delivery of a new iPhone, so should be up and running soon with Apple CarPlay. I'm a long time android user, but am changing as our work email doesn't integrate so seamlessly with it in the new version of Android. I can't test it currently with Android Auto though as it's not available in Luxembourg. I'll try to test it with my wife's iPhone over the weekend.

·
Registered
141 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts