Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who has taken delivery of your cars.
How powerful are the USB ports in charging phones?
In other Jaguar cars the USB ports are terrible for charging phones, it takes forever probably because the output is of USB ports in cars is normally very weak at around 0.5-1A. In comparison a 12V cigarette lighter port usually gives 10A.
Given the focus jaguar has given USB connectivity in the I-pace with an abundance of ports I wonder if they increased the power?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
arc said:
In other Jaguar cars the USB ports are terrible for charging phones, it takes forever probably because the output is of USB ports in cars is normally very weak at around 0.5-1A. In comparison a 12V cigarette lighter port usually gives 10A.
Given the focus jaguar has given USB connectivity in the I-pace with an abundance of ports I wonder if they increased the power?
I have not tried it yet but the rear passengers have 2x 5V and 1x 12V so I assume the USB ports in the front are also 5V but have not really tried it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
arc said:
I have not tried it yet but the rear passengers have 2x 5V and 1x 12V so I assume the USB ports in the front are also 5V but have not really tried it.
He is questioning the power output in Amps, not the voltage. USB spec is somewhere between 5 and 5.5V, but the number of Amps determine the charging speed.... Most modern phones support around 2A, while "older" chargers can only supply 0.5-1A. In certain cases this means that your phone drains faster with the screen on than the charger can charge... So I really hope they support for example Quick Charge on those USB ports, but I doubt it... Did not take delivery yet, but will learn about it soon. Preparing for the worst, though...

·
Registered
455 Posts
They seem to work very well.
When travelling on long journeys , my children plug in their phones as well as mine in the front for Car Play & have had no issues.
There is additional 2 underneath the information centre hidden well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I just purchased a 12V samsung USB C fastcharger to use in my current Jaguar which has painfully slow charging USB ports .
There is a huge difference in charging speed now using the 12V port instead. It´s a lot faster than the USB ports so problem is now solved I think.
So I guess the best solution is to use 12V outlets for quick charing phones and tablets.

·
Registered
325 Posts
arc said:
So I guess the best solution is to use 12V outlets for quick charing phones and tablets.
Unless you want to use CarPlay or Android auto, then the USB port in the arm rest is mandatory to use. That's why it is important that the build in USB port also supports high speed charging capabilities.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The USB's in the back will not charge an iPad, but worked fine on the phone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snoerd said:
arc said:
Unless you want to use CarPlay or Android auto, then the USB port in the arm rest is mandatory to use. That's why it is important that the build in USB port also supports high speed charging capabilities.
Why is it mandatory to use?
In my current Jaguar with InControl Touch Pro the phone is connected through bluetooth for phone /handsfree and music streaming purposes the only time the cable is attached is when there is a need for charging the phone. Does it work differently in the I-pace?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Aren't the use ports underneath the climate co trip centre especially for phone charging ? So perhaps they have sufficient power ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
arc said:
Why is it mandatory to use?
In my current Jaguar with InControl Touch Pro the phone is connected through bluetooth for phone /handsfree and music streaming purposes the only time the cable is attached is when there is a need for charging the phone. Does it work differently in the I-pace?
CarPlay (and Android equivalent) is not implemented over bluetooth, but through the cable. Phone, handsfree and music streaming is fully available over bluetooth, of course. The added features of Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto) require the cable. Few automakers have actually yet implemented wireless CarPlay (which is possible, but not widely implemented yet).

G

·
I found that neither of the two front USB ports, nor the back seat console USB ports, were sufficiently powerful to supply my dash cam, so run that instead from a 12V supply (cigarette-lighter) USB adapter that I have put in the center armrest position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts