Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Using "N" gear while driving

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kinemax 
#1 ·
Another question related to efficiency...

As we know regenerative braking has limited efficiency of conversion kinetic->electric than and using it again by motor (guess ca 60-70%) which is much better than 0 for normal braking, but still worse than using 100% of kinetic energy for "sailing" (no braking of any kind while approaching distant red light et c.) like in Merc EQC.
So it may look like switching to "N" as "sail mode" in some circumstances MAY save some energy.
From other point of view it is not so often and distracts attention (if you need to press "N" and than "D" while driving!) so the sense of using it in I Pace is not obvious.
My questions are:
1. Is at allowed by manufacturer to switch to "N" at say 100km/h (or 60mph ;) ) ?
2. Does it really save energy ?
3. Wouldn't it be possible to add additional optional level of regenerative braking = 0 ? (or possibility of redefine low and high levels)
Personally I don't like "high" level at all (prefer to use brake pedal for higher regenerative BRAKING), so I would define:
Low = 0 to 10 kWh/100 km (curently it is ca 30) for longer trips,
High = 30 to 50 (now ca 90) - for urban use,
but adding 3rd option "0" or "very low" would also be very nice....

See less See more
#2 ·
I use N regularly both within city (approach traffic light/roundabouts) as well as when exiting highways and my experience tells me it reduces consumption versus not using it.

You can achieve the same by precise control of the Power pedal. Using N instead of power pedal finesse is a quicker/easier way to get the efficiency whereby it must be said that with fine control of power pedal the efficiency is greater than simply using N. Also when selecting N does not always mean 0 consumption.

For the best efficiency you need to keep the needle as close to balance as possible both heavy acceleration as heavy regeneration are not optimal because the further the needle is away from mid point the less efficient the power is applied or regenerated.

With practise and understanding my efficiency has improved over the last 15 months - now the major impacts are temperature and long trips (higher speeds).
View attachment 480

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.