Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from the short (few seconds) flashing green light near the charge port during the initial charging hand-shake is there a visual cue to see from the outside that your car is charging? So without the need of using the app.

When the I-PACE is on our driveway I would like to see looking out of the window if it's charging or not.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Am afraid no A bit weird. The green led was flashing all the time during the charge of my e-tron but not on the i-pace. I don't know where the designers come from .... It's topically software designers that don't think of what the customer need...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hanssolo said:
Apart from the short (few seconds) flashing green light near the charge port during the initial charging hand-shake is there a visual cue to see from the outside that your car is charging? So without the need of using the app.

When the I-PACE is on our driveway I would like to see looking out of the window if it's charging or not.
You can open the door without clicking with the key

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hanssolo said:
So one is always dependent on the app, strange.
Well not really - if you open the doors or just press the button on the handles the infotainment screen starts and will show the car is charging.
If you are using a DC charger, the charger itself will usually show progress and same is for AC charger with display.

But yes - weird that I-pace can't just have the light burn green if charging, blinking green when initializing, red if something went wrong and white when done. Last the light switching off when cable can be disconnected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Hanssolo
Is your EVSE charging station not visible from your window. I think most stations will show a few lights, including one that indicates it is charging and one that indicate a fault and one that indicates the unit is connected.

Unfortunately, the port on the car itself doesn't stay lit. IMHO, I don't really look to check the charging unless I'm planning a long trip and want something close to 100%, then I'll check the app. It does seem odd when so many battery operated objects have an indicator that they are charging and have completed a charge. We are all used to this.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
A lot of the car has been designed by people who know nothing about electric cars. This has been a very good thing because Jaguar has given us a car not an iPad on wheels that is a Tesla.

However, there are several comfort issues related to EV tech that should have been included (in my opinion):

1. External indication that the car is charging/finished charging/charging error.

2. The position of the light in the charger area is poor as when lit it makes it difficult to see the charge connector - it shines directly into your eyes.

3. Car should not roll backwards under any circumstance when D is selected. Also, there should be an option to automatically apply the handbrake when the car comes to a stop.

4. There should be an option that allows the door handles to auto present when they are locked (similar to Tesla). At night it is very difficult to find the small button on the door handle to open the doors.

5. Walk away door locking, again similar to Tesla.

6. The car should never have been released with software that does not support OTA updates. My car has twice had to go into the dealer for updates.

7. Why is the key supplied the size of a small brick?

8. Blind-spot indication should not be an option, it should be provided as standard in a £65k car.

I could go on......

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
No light in the Froot.

At night the only time the car lights up the internal button for opening the froot is when it doesn't work. When it does work the light on the button is out and you have to fumble around to open it when it's dark.

There needs to be an option for automatic application of the handbrake when the cars comes to a stop.

Thought I had better not mention the camera system for reversing your car that is not In Real-time as this is more a fault that a missed opportunity.

The stupidly slow screen update rate of the screen entertainment system needs sorting, but again this is a fault not a missed opportunity.

To be fair, if they fixed the problems I listed, I would be very happy. Also, to be fair, I am very happy with my car :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Chewy said:
3. Car should not roll backwards under any circumstance when D is selected. Also, there should be an option to automatically apply the handbrake when the car comes to a stop.
I would say this is already pretty much in place. If you come to a stop using the brakes the "ready" light comes on then you should be in anti-rollback mode at least, but I have noticed recently that the ready light also comes on if you come to a stop just using regen without touching the brake.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Pacesetter said:
Chewy said:
I would say this is already pretty much in place. If you come to a stop using the brakes the "ready" light comes on then you should be in anti-rollback mode at least, but I have noticed recently that the ready light also comes on if you come to a stop just using regen without touching the brake.
Nope. Pull up with single pedal driving on an incline and the car will roll backwards unless you rush your foot the brakes. This is total nonsense on a modern EV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts