Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must be a few people on here who have started thinking about their next car - particularly some people on a 3 year lease. There have been some interesting new cars recently.

What are you toying over in your mind and why?

I have a year left on mine. I test drove a Taycan and was underwhelmed. Also on the list to try are the Ioniq 5, EV6 and maybe a model 3. I'm a fan of purpose built EVs.

What about you?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great Question:

My broad list:

I-Pace HSE
Mach E
Polestar
Hyundai;kia 5/6 whatever

In theory Tesla's but I prefer being a bit higher up, and the Tesla's are low.

Right now I'm leaning to another 6 month old I-pace, in about 6 months time.

Is there anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although I'm, we're, enjoying the iPace, I will not get another. Came from a Macan and that's the next target when they release the new full EV model. Alternative consideration new Polestar 3, possibly Audi when they move to smaller platform. Not changing until May 24 but would happily swap to a Polestar 2 now.
1. Macan EV
2. Polestar 3

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Not sure I will buy another EV as it might be the last opportunity to buy something ludicrous like a range rover SVR or new RHD Corvette V8 before it becomes an imprisonable offence.

Will probably buy the Hyundai 5 or Kia EV6 GT for the Mrs next year.

The electric Macan could be interesting if I can bring myself to buy German. Unlikely ever to buy another Jaguar, aftercare experience is too poor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Polestar 2 doesnt do anything for me.

Porsche Macan EV has been approved by the boss(home boss) but I will need it to be 6 months old, at least.
Polestar 3 looks like an I-Pace & Mach E.....
Really wish Jag would squeeze another 10% of range and 800V battery into the I-Pace, would be much easier choice then.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
electric beagle said:
Unlikely ever to buy another Jaguar, aftercare experience is too poor.
If you're after something mad, try an F-Type. Nice reliable proven technology so you won't need many dealer dealings. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lease runs out January 2024. I will not be renewing the lease for a second i-Pace. The Hyundai Ionic 5 is borderline funky/fugly, the 800v system is its saving grace but the styling will not age well. The Kia EV6 has better styling but its still not really my cup of tea. Presently, the Audi Q4 e-tron or the BMW iX look like possible candidates.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been checking some new models this year. Today will see XC40. But none of these cars I've tested feels as good as I-Pace. Tech is better in new models, especially DC charging. Most interesting is Ionic 5/Kia EV6 with 800V charging. But as cars, they don't par with Jag, feels like downgrading from business class to economy (same or even worse with Tesla 3/Y). So maybe new Genesis GV60 is a decent choice. But I have only 45000km (thanks to covid) even cars almost 3 years old, so I have 2-3 more years to go. Maybe JRL has upgraded I-Pace or Range Rover EV out then. Also Mercedes EQE looks promising, only that I prefer SUV.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fluff said:
Great Question:

My broad list:

I-Pace HSE
Mach E
Polestar
Hyundai;kia 5/6 whatever

Is there anything else I should look at?
The third sister of the ioniq 5/EV6 is the genesis GV60. Maybe a bit more luxurious?

·
Registered
35 Posts
KevinPeters said:
There must be a few people on here who have started thinking about their next car - particularly some people on a 3 year lease. There have been some interesting new cars recently.

What are you toying over in your mind and why?

I have a year left on mine. I test drove a Taycan and was underwhelmed. Also on the list to try are the Ionic 5, EV6 and maybe a model 3. I'm a fan of purpose built EVs.

What about you?
Interested in your taycan experience - I love my iPace but would swap for a taycan in a heartbeat. Am in the process of checking with the lease company what it would cost to move over a year early.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone contemplating buying the Hyundai after the Jag, should only do so if they plan to drive on a straight line at all times :D :

Not that the Mach E fared any better (it was actually worse), but at least it looks fun to drive and more solid as a car, regardless of the rebellious back end.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
scm said:
electric beagle said:
Unlikely ever to buy another Jaguar, aftercare experience is too poor.
If you're after something mad, try an F-Type. Nice reliable proven technology so you won't need many dealer dealings. ;)
Too small a form factor for me and a bit too old school. Had 3 new Nissan GTRs prior to the iPace (and almost zero trouble with Nissan dealers). Preference would be a 2+2 seater with decent boot space ideally non European (but would make an exception for Italian or maybe the new eMacan) which limits options a bit (a box the F Type does tick at least) ;)

Shame the Maserati Levante is rubbish

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@&droid - I test drove the base model Taycan (all they had available) it it was noticeably slower than the I-Pace. It was also smaller and less practical for my family of 4. I specced up the 4S Estate version and it was north of £100k to buy or £1k/month lease at which point my better half stepped in with a reality check for me!

I don't mind the idea of GV60, not sure I like the looks though. It would be interesting to see it in person.

I agree with the sentiment, going from an I-Pace to a Kia/Hyundai feels like a downgrade! Although TBF they probably do a better job of the tech.

Mach-e looks like a decent attempt but some some reason it doesn't do anything for me. Same with the Polestar 2.

Macan EV looks like a possibility but might arrive too late for me (Nov 2022).

I'll be trying out an Audi e-tron GT as well I think. Just for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
electric beagle said:
scm said:
Too small a form factor for me and a bit too old school. Had 3 new Nissan GTRs prior to the iPace (and almost zero trouble with Nissan dealers). Preference would be a 2+2 seater with decent boot space ideally non European (but would make an exception for Italian or maybe the new eMacan) which limits options a bit (a box the F Type does tick at least) ;)
Shame Jaguar no longer makes the XKR .... ;)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
scm said:
electric beagle said:
scm said:
Shame Jaguar no longer makes the XKR .... ;)
That was the right sort of thing just a bit too slow and 2WD. Also the Mas Gransport/Grancabrio also not replaced.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't see any reason to jack in the I Pace as the alternatives look like a downgrade.
Porsche Toucan - a lot less space
Geely Polestar - smaller, limited choice of colours and options, oh, and made in China
Audi E-Tron - recently voted by Which readers as the third least liked car
Ford Mach E - limed choice of colours and options nearly non extistant - any cabin colour you like as long as you like black and vinyl seats.

Always thought renting you car is a bad idea as it forces change on you and leads you on route to poverty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My next EV will be a used i3 for city car duties. Once we get through this used car madness, I should be able to pick one up for $10,000. We'll have the Velar for long road trips and the I Pace and i3 for everything else.

My wife wants to trade the Velar in for a Cadillac Lyric, but the infrastructure isn't ready for 100% EV where I live.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo would be the ideal replacement, but would be way too much money for the configuration I'd want.

More realistic replacements:
Ford F150 Lightning
Kia EV6 GT
Genesis GV60
Rivian R1T
Rivian R1S

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are there any significant improvements (charging speed, range etc) planned for the I-Pace over the next 2 or 3 years? The EQE looks very interesting, WLTP 660 km, 170 kW charging.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts