Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
hml said:
Definitely not another iPace. It may be beautiful to look at but technically it is miles behind the alternatives.

Best bet at the moment is the EV6, but I may go smaller and look at the Cupra Born when it is available
Yes 4 yrs old and miles behind, the competition is now so strong, sales are going to be very weak unless Jaguar pull a rabbit out of the hat, much faster battery charging at least. If Jaguar customers are going to have to wait 3 yrs plus for new EVs regaining market share is going to be very challenging.

·
Registered
172 Posts
TheIPACE has been overall a good car, but as other posters have said it's not really moved forwards since launch. I've just hit the 2 year mark with mine at 10K miles and am looking at the next 12 months - my car was 69K after discounts and grants - and I'm paying a healthy chunk of money a month, with a final payment due in just about a year, given the current pricing If I can get out of it now it's about break even, and if I can reduce outgoings in the next year this will turn into an upside...

Due to covid, my work pattern changed at the end of Jan20 and I picked the car up in November 19 - and the long term change to the way we work I've done sod all miles in it - and it's not going to change significantly.. I've just dropped to 4 days and hope to retire early (before 55) in 2 or 3 years - which means I spending either capital or the monthlies on a 70K car is an extravagance - One of the classics may need to go as well to make this happen depending if I pick up a part time local job - but it's worth it...

Despite the looks, handling and comfort of an IPACE , the fact is it's heading for a 4-5 year old design with charging, UX and suboptimal range issues and only a 3 year warranty. Given it spends most of its time (days at a time) looking cool outside the house as I expect to use it for perhaps 6 or 8K miles a year (I'l drive a bit more as I'm not sat on my arse at home all week working, my trips are usually 10/20 miles each way or 250+ each way - ipace efficiency & charging is a not insignificant factor for a number of reasons).. I cant in all honesty replace it with the MY22 car - lead times appear to be > 6 months and it's not getting any better (we are seeing delivery dates for IT equipment as far out as a year for some datacentre switches).

I'm looking for something smaller (most trips are 2 up) 250+ miles real world range, true 100Kw charging & a list price closer to 40-45K, with light airy interior, & 5 doors. Maybe Ioniq 5/EV6 - but they are large - looking around surprisingly - I could probably get by with the facelift kona 4+ meets my needs and looking european a Polestar2 (but too big again) or an ID.3 would in theory as well but I've sat in a couple now and am really not sure abut the fit and finish of it, also the dealers I've spoken to say 40 weeks lead time for a factory order.

If JLR had something smaller and electric - say Evoque size even if it was single motor in that price point I'd definitely consider it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Taycan Cross Turismo on order for March delivery. IPace was a great car but I can stand the dealers, who ruined the whole experience

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am reading a lot of comments about the I-pace being out of date in many areas, but in my opinion the only place it is outdated is in charging speed.

If you look at tesla bjorn's youtube range tests, the range of the ipace really isn't much different to other comparable sized cars. For example the ioniq 5 has significantly less motorway range.

On most driving metrics, the ipace is still right at the top of the pack, not out of date at all.

If Jaguar could update the batteries so that they can accept a flat 150 kW charging speed like the audi E-tron SUV does, then it would be right back in the game. I don't even think it is necessary to go to an 800v architecture, just use the same e-tron batteries and charging set up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree. Design-wise, exterior, interior, even electronics (if only there would be a way to have Apple Car run the HUD), handling, it's an amazing car with about 10 years to go. If only the charging speed could get a (significant) bump, I'd rebuy one!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here in the states, the charging infrastructure is the problem, not the car's charging speed ... at least that's the situation where I live in Florida and throughout the southeast US in general. I simply don't have access to very many combo chargers above 50 kWh on routes that I'm likely to take. That will eventually change, but for the time being we'll keep an ICE vehicle for road trips. An actual 220 mile highway range on the I Pace is sufficient for our use pattern and handles the majority of our day trips where destination charging isn't available. The next leap would be round trips to Miami from Orlando and that would require almost 500 real world highway miles. There's nothing reasonably available right now that fills that need because in all candor, even at 100 kWh charging speeds I don't know that I'd want to take an EV on that trip if an ICE vehicle is available to me.

Added to this is the fact that high speed charging is rough on the battery. I'm pushing 30,000 miles and have no measurable degradation and I think some of that is because when I level 3 charge (very rarely), I've only been at 50 kWh and I stop at 85% of the battery capacity.

Obviously not everyone has the same use pattern and if the I Pace doesn't fit the bill, then a change is called for, but until range and charging infrastructure improve, I'll stick with the kitty.

·
Registered
471 Posts
NeilR said:
I am reading a lot of comments about the I-pace being out of date in many areas, but in my opinion the only place it is outdated is in charging speed.

If you look at tesla bjorn's youtube range tests, the range of the ipace really isn't much different to other comparable sized cars. For example the ioniq 5 has significantly less motorway range.

On most driving metrics, the ipace is still right at the top of the pack, not out of date at all.

If Jaguar could update the batteries so that they can accept a flat 150 kW charging speed like the audi E-tron SUV does, then it would be right back in the game. I don't even think it is necessary to go to an 800v architecture, just use the same e-tron batteries and charging set up.
I agree, and if they could copy Kia with a deal to allow I-Pace users access to the Tesla charging network ....

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
NeilR said:

👍

·
Registered
107 Posts
its hard to criticise the ipace charge speeds, its an evolving thing, in 3/4 years time the kia/hyundia will be outclassed. seems that few of us use rapid charging a lot , so its not making a vast difference.

Universal rapid charging will change the face of car sales eventually, but at present if your consistently rapid charging you may as well own an ice, as the cost per mile is broadly the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
charging speeds at the moment or more restricted by the charging stations rather than the car, in 2 months of ownership I've only used public chargers 3 times and 50kw for a quick top up has been more than sufficient.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
chicken george said:
its hard to criticise the ipace charge speeds, its an evolving thing, in 3/4 years time the kia/hyundia will be outclassed. seems that few of us use rapid charging a lot , so its not making a vast difference.

Universal rapid charging will change the face of car sales eventually, but at present if your consistently rapid charging you may as well own an ice, as the cost per mile is broadly the same.
Its easy to criticise charge speeds when the world has moved on. A full charge in 15 mins rather than 90 mins makes a huge difference for those travelling distances which are well served by fast chargers. Especially since it seems that the restriction is all about reducing battery warranty claims not maximising ownership experience.

I have found that many people think about the edge cases in their regular drive not the core of it, so someone who only drives long distance once a year will be unusually fixated on that (like my parents and their twice a year drives to Devon) even if 98% of their journeys are short distance. This seems to be human nature and to increase comfort people are going to look for very fast charging cars. This will knock residuals of slow charging cars and their owners will not benefit from better charging infrastructure in the futire.

I am looking for an EV to replace my wifes car at the moment and rapid charging is a key requirement there (as well as a non plastic interior).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have been asked this question several times. Especially from people who do not yet drive an EV but are contemplating it or are going to get their EV soon.

Their questions are usually based on several assumptions, like:
1) The overstated excessive consumption of the I-Pace.
2) The very slow charging speed of the I-Pace.

I usually explain that the I-Pace does NOT suffer from excessive consumption. The I-Paces is not an Ioniq of course, but consumption is on par with that of a Polestar 2 or Model X and better (as in lower) than that of an Audi E-tron.
I also need to tell them that if you do not drive in excess of 400 km on a day to day basis, the need for fastcharging is minimal. Even with the first-gen I-Pace, the slower 1-phase charging is sufficient to cover 99% of my driving needs. Fastcharging is needed only a handful of times a year. So the question is, can you spare an extra 45 minutes per YEAR.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have just started looking at what my next EV is going to be.
To be honest, the I-Pace is going to be a hard act to follow, but I just don't think I can justify to my Board another £85k car, and used First Editions seem to be asking £50k+.
I probably do more miles than most (65,000 and counting) and spend up to 3 hours a day in the car, so I am currently making a list of what I find essential/important/desirable (in that order) in the I-Pace.
From what I have seen so far the I-Pace still stacks up pretty well with most of the new offerings (in the £50k range) and I am going to have to dip into the options lists quite heavily to get what I want.
Also, even from my so far limited research it seems like owners of some of these 300+ mile range cars are not getting anywhere near that. I made a trip of 214 miles the other day in my I-Pace, and arrived home with 15 miles left, which I thought was pretty good, but I have read of some Polestar 2 owners who have got their range down to 180-200.

Anyway the cars I am/have been considering:

Hyundai Ioniq 5 - I have already ruled this out because I didn't like the exterior as I walked up to it and didn't like the interior (style or finish). Doesn't matter how it drives I just didn't like it.
Kia EV6 - yet to see one in the flesh, but looks I-Pace-like in the pictures and gets good reviews. Will try to see and drive asap.
Volvo XC40 Recharge - seen it, sat in it, and it was (just) OK, but I suspect would exceed my self-set £55k limit to get the spec I would want.
Polestar 2 - Looks OK in the reviews and will stay on the shortlist. However owners report that the adaptive speed limiter is pretty useless at recognising speed limits. A lot of you will say, so what, and that you never use speed limiter. However, I use it every day, and every trip, and is right at the top of my list of driver aids (one speed awareness course is enough for me).
Skoda Enyaq - I was really impressed with this both to look at, and the quality of finish in the cabin. It surprised me how much I liked it, and I am going to have to keep it on my shortlist (but can I really go from Jaguar to Skoda?).
Ford Mach E - nothing about it so far has got me excited enough to even go and look at one, but may have to at some point.

Tesla - I didn't get a Tesla when there were only really 2 brands in the market, and this was because the I-Pace was miles in front in terms of quality and finish. I charge from home 99.5% of the time, and the nearest Tesla Supercharger to me is 50 miles away, plus the Model 3 has a boot, not a hatch. So, no, unlikely to be a Tesla.

·
Registered
207 Posts
MvM said:
I have been asked this question several times. Especially from people who do not yet drive an EV but are contemplating it or are going to get their EV soon.

I usually explain that the I-Pace does NOT suffer from excessive consumption. The I-Paces is not an Ioniq of course, but consumption is on par with that of a Polestar 2 or Model X and better (as in lower) than that of an Audi E-tron.
I also need to tell them that if you do not drive in excess of 400 km on a day to day basis, the need for fastcharging is minimal. Even with the first-gen I-Pace, the slower 1-phase charging is sufficient to cover 99% of my driving needs. Fastcharging is needed only a handful of times a year. So the question is, can you spare an extra 45 minutes per YEAR.
And how much time would you spend in trips to fill up your ICE car? Even if you could get 2 weeks, thats 26 trips, some made specially, some made whilst shopping, average 10 minutes? 260 minutes, thats over 4 hours. And hopefully you plan your trip so your 45 minutes includes a toilet trip, look at the magazines, and a sandwich. And the reverse, with an ICE car, you will still need to stop on the long trips, for the same things.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Fluff said:
MvM said:

And how much time would you spend in trips to fill up your ICE car? Even if you could get 2 weeks, thats 26 trips, some made specially, some made whilst shopping, average 10 minutes? 260 minutes, thats over 4 hours. And hopefully you plan your trip so your 45 minutes includes a toilet trip, look at the magazines, and a sandwich. And the reverse, with an ICE car, you will still need to stop on the long trips, for the same things.
It doesn't matter that it isn't rational it's a real issue for some people who don't think this stuff out in minute detail (as 99% of people don't).

Sure you save time mostly from not having to fill up for the short to medium distance trips but this seems less relevant when you end up spending an hour plus charging in each direction. In an ICE car a 15 minute pitstop includes a bathroom break if I don't refuel so psychologically a 15 minute recharge time is going to become a market expectation, whether that is rational or not (and I do think it is fairly rational). If I drive to Bristol I tend to recharge nr Gloucester as finding good reliable charging in the city centre is tricky. So I spend nearly 2 hours with less optimum recharge because there isn't good availability in my destination and that happens quite a bit.

Faster charging makes this less painful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Faster charging also move the car off the charger quicker for the next car, this is as important as installing more chargers.
But for me and the majority this wont make a huge difference for our 2 or 3 fast charges a year.
But when the high mileage drivers start going electric its going to matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I opened up a can of worms on this one and it looks like many people going through a similar journey to me. I love my Jag and the I-Pace was ahead of its time, but I feel like they have squandered that advantage. They could have had another EV or two out by now.
For me the inconsistent and often slow charging, even though I rarely use it, really soured my ownership. Also the dealers a d**ks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Think I'm going to hang on a bit to see if there is a serious challenger in terms of luxury, refinement blended with some nice performance or hopefully see if JLR pull something out of the bag in the next 2ish years.

I'm not swayed by charging times or range because I can charge it most nights and a bit of "charger anxiety" about 1-2 times per year when we go on a big drive is not going to drive me (pun fully intended) to something inferior just because I can charge it faster at some over priced service station.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is true that prospectivr ev cars want to know about range and charge time, those are the first questions I get. After describe the often low importance of both, many People just dont get it and remain range fixated.

To contradict myself I have an alternative vehicle, if owning just one car im not sure id go electric at present, for range reasons

41 - 60 of 104 Posts