Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have driven recent Teslas , E-trons and Hyundai EV6. None of them beat to the I Pace for its combination of driving enjoyment, super finish and practicability. In addition my six month old MY20 hasn't had the slightest problem so far.Its a fantastic car and still ahead of the opposition.
So good news for Jaguar - NO not at all. This is a design that was brilliant in 2018 its still ahead but only just.
So what was the MY21 update -a new sat-nav (?) and a chrome grill. Really - known as "an accountants upgrade" I believe.
In the meantime there are competing models coming out almost every other week it seems . It is appalling that Jaguar have sat on the I pace design for so long they have almost lost their lead in a rapidly developing field.
They need a sports version , an economy version ( run on one motor part-time say) a coupé type version and they need urgent technical updates such as HV rapid charging and the latest battery systems

Come on Jaguar - the engineering team that designed this car are world leading so give them the go ahead on a new version ASAP!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have had my I Pace HSE for about 30 months now, and have recently started looking for a replacement. I have to say, my I Pace is a great car, very nicely finished, great to drive, excellent acceleration and have had no major problems, it has really been 30 months of basically hassle free driving, and after having my last three cars being from the JLR stable - Range Rover, Discovery Sport and IPace, I really wanted to stay with JLR, however, after recently driving a few newer models from other manufacturers, I realise that the software is now a bit old hat on the I Pace, and mainly due to the fact that paying ca. £75K like I paid for my current car will give me less features than I currently have due to the micro chip shortages etc, then it leaves me with little enthusiasm to stick with a new I Pace, also the dealer network just don't seem to care one jot about you after they have taken your money, so time for a change!

So cars I am looking at are:-

Volvo XC40 Recharge Pro* - test drove one of these a few days ago, very impressed, has most of the features the I Pace has and then some, acceleration is the same as the I Pace, handling is good, and its a very smooth ride, in fact on par with the I Pace and better than the Audi Q4. Charging is fast, the software is much faster than the Jag and the Android Automotive just works and works very well, I love it! and the safety features as you can imagine are top notch! .... I am going to arrange a 48 hour loan in the near future to test it thoroughly. See below*

Volvo C40 Recharge Pro which looks nice but none are available at the moment until end of the year. See below*

Audi Q4 - Etron 50 Quattro - the dealer cocked up so only had about 15 minutes in it, going back for a longer drive when they can organise it. The model I tested was the 40, this is sluggish when compared to the I Pace and the Volvo, but the Audi Q4 - Etron 50 Quattro Sportback is a very nice looking and nicely finished car, however, it is not as smooth on the road and I still like the Android Automotive entertainment system on the Volvo more than I like the Audi, which is good, but not as good IMO as the Volvo.

Polestar 2 - Test drive already booked for about 2 weeks time, I am not expecting to like this as much as the other two as it looks to be a lower seating position, I much prefer a proper SUV ride height, but we will see.

Kia EV 6 GT - Test drive to be booked, not seen one in real life yet, videos give it a good rate of approval, but I feel I will have the same concerns about it as the Polestar

Mercedes EQA - looks a bit boring to me, but probably works fine, TBA

*One very interesting thing about this model of Volvo is that it can be bought (outright as per normal) on a subscription basis, giving only 3 months notice. I normally buy cars, but this gives one the opportunity of paying NO deposit, and having it for as little as three months (with a 30 day trial period)

With the EV world changing so fast lately. I am seriously considering taking one on a 3 month subscription, that way I cane have it for 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 etc months with no upfront costs to me and I can hand it back at any time just by giving 3 months notice. This would give me lots of flexibility in deciding over time what I want to buy, or indeed if I want to buy something different, without committing to a large outright purchase or long term contracts. Seems like a win win to me, decisions, decisions :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ChrisMc said:
I have had my I Pace HSE for about 30 months now, and have recently started looking for a replacement. I have to say, my I Pace is a great car, very nicely finished, great to drive, excellent acceleration and have had no major problems, it has really been 30 months of basically hassle free driving, and after having my last three cars being from the JLR stable - Range Rover, Discovery Sport and IPace, I really wanted to stay with JLR, however, after recently driving a few newer models from other manufacturers, I realise that the software is now a bit old hat on the I Pace, and mainly due to the fact that paying ca. £75K like I paid for my current car will give me less features than I currently have due to the micro chip shortages etc, then it leaves me with little enthusiasm to stick with a new I Pace, also the dealer network just don't seem to care one jot about you after they have taken your money, so time for a change!

Volvo XC40 Recharge* - test drove one of these a few days ago, very impressed, has most of the features the I Pace has and then some, acceleration is the same as the I Pace, handling is good, and its a very smooth ride, in fact on par with the I Pace and better than the Audi Q4. Charging is fast, the software is much faster than the Jag and the Android Automotive just works and works very well, I love it! and the safety features as you can imagine are top notch! .... I am going to arrange a 48 hour loan in the near future to test it thoroughly. See below*

Audi Q40 - Etron 50 Quattro - the dealer cocked up so only had about 15 minutes in it, going back for a longer drive when they can organise it. The model I tested was the 40, this is sluggish when compared to the I Pace and the Volvo, but the Audi Q40 - Etron 50 Quattro Sportback is a very nice looking and nicely finished car, however, it is not as smooth on the road and I still like the Android Automotive entertainment system on the Volvo more than I like the Audi, which is good, but not as good IMO as the Volvo.

Polestar 2 - Test drive already booked for about 2 weeks time, I am not expecting to like this as much as the other two as it looks to be a lower seating position, I much prefer a proper SUV ride height, but we will see.

Kia EV 6 GT - Test drive to be booked, not seen one in real life yet, videos give it a good rate of approval, but I feel I will have the same concerns about it as the Polestar

*One very interesting thing about this model of Volvo is that it can be bought (outright as per normal) on a subscription basis, giving only 3 months notice. I normally buy cars, but this gives one the opportunity of paying NO deposit, and having it for as little as three months (with a 30 day trial period)

With the EV world changing so fast lately. I am seriously taking one on a 3 month subscription, that way I cane have it for 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 etc months with no upfront costs to me and I can hand it back at any time just by giving 3 months notice. This would give me lots of flexibility in deciding over time what I want to buy, or indeed if I want to buy something different, without committing to a large outright purchase or long term contracts. Seems like a win win to me, decisions, decisions :)
The Q4 etron is slow even in the fastest spec, total non-starter for me, the original eTron seems a better bet.

The Mercedes EQS seems like a good fit but is apparently dull as ditchwater to drive.

The Kia Ev6 GT isn't launched until next year so you may struggle to get a test drive.

Isn't the XC40 single motor and much slower than an iPace?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
electric beagle said:
ChrisMc said:

Volvo XC40 Recharge* - test drove one of these a few days ago, very impressed, has most of the features the I Pace has and then some, acceleration is the same as the I Pace, handling is good, and its a very smooth ride, in fact on par with the I Pace and better than the Audi Q4. Charging is fast, the software is much faster than the Jag and the Android Automotive just works and works very well, I love it! and the safety features as you can imagine are top notch! .... I am going to arrange a 48 hour loan in the near future to test it thoroughly. See below*

Audi Q40 - Etron 50 Quattro - the dealer cocked up so only had about 15 minutes in it, going back for a longer drive when they can organise it. The model I tested was the 40, this is sluggish when compared to the I Pace and the Volvo, but the Audi Q40 - Etron 50 Quattro Sportback is a very nice looking and nicely finished car, however, it is not as smooth on the road and I still like the Android Automotive entertainment system on the Volvo more than I like the Audi, which is good, but not as good IMO as the Volvo.

With the EV world changing so fast lately. I am seriously taking one on a 3 month subscription, that way I cane have it for 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 etc months with no upfront costs to me and I can hand it back at any time just by giving 3 months notice. This would give me lots of flexibility in deciding over time what I want to buy, or indeed if I want to buy something different, without committing to a large outright purchase or long term contracts. Seems like a win win to me, decisions, decisions :)
The Q4 etron is slow even in the fastest spec, total non-starter for me, the original eTron seems a better bet.

The Mercedes EQS seems like a good fit but is apparently dull as ditchwater to drive.

The Kia Ev6 GT isn't launched until next year so you may struggle to get a test drive.

Isn't the XC40 single motor and much slower than an iPace?
Yes the Q4 was slower, but the 50 model is about 6.2 secs to 60, so slower, still, but better than the 40 model, the 40 model is just to slow after driving the I Pace over 7 seconds to 60mph. Also, my wife commented on the Audi (she has an Audi which she loves) that it did everything you expected it too, looks good, but doesn't give you any thrills when driving it, not like the I Pace, and even the XC40 was more exciting to drive.

EQS same as you, dullllllll!

Kia EV6 GT, probably won't get to drive one, but the XC40 subscription gives me the chance to look again in 6 months, 9 months or whatever.

XC40 Recharge dual motors and is 4.7 secs 0-60, so virtually the same as the I Pace, you cannot tell it is .2 of a second slower. I am also looking at the C40 which looks nice but none are available at the moment until end of the year.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ChrisMc said:
XC40 dual motors and is 4.7 secs 0-60, so virtually the same as the I Pace, you cannot tell it is .2 of a second slower. I am also looking at the C40 which looks nice but none are available at the moment until end of the year.
Is that fully electric or a hybrid? I just went to the Volvo website to take a look as a possible option to replace my wife's car but they were only showing a single motor in the fully electric model?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
electric beagle said:
ChrisMc said:
XC40 dual motors and is 4.7 secs 0-60, so virtually the same as the I Pace, you cannot tell it is .2 of a second slower. I am also looking at the C40 which looks nice but none are available at the moment until end of the year.
Is that fully electric or a hybrid? I just went to the Volvo website to take a look as a possible option to replace my wife's car but they were only showing a single motor in the fully electric model?
Its fully electric, but you need to look at the XC40 Recharge, not the other models. It states on the website single motor, but it is actually two motors one on each axle and its the Pro version.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ChrisMc said:
electric beagle said:
ChrisMc said:
Its fully electric, but you need to look at the XC40 Recharge, not the other models.
Just looked again so whilst the front page refers to dual motor, if you go to the configurator you can only select a single motor!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
electric beagle said:
ChrisMc said:
electric beagle said:
Its fully electric, but you need to look at the XC40 Recharge, not the other models.
I was and it was only throwing up one drivetrain option, shall take another look.
It does state Single motor, but believe me, its one on each axle (two motors) and 0-60 is 4.7 seconds

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having just bought my Ipace last month, I'll see what's out in 3 years. :D Very happy with my Ipace so far though - no real issues. Seats aren't as comfortable as the BMW I previously had, but overall its a relaxing car to drive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
maybe only c40 recharge (uglier sister) has twin not the xc40 recharge

·
Registered
172 Posts
chicken george said:
The XC40 recharge is effectively the polestar 2 running gear and tech in a volvo body, at least it has a better range of colours. ;-)

·
Registered
207 Posts
chicken george said:
in the UK, both price lists say dual, 408PS 0-60 mph in 4.7 sec. The only negative is about 20-25 miles less WLTP range than the I-pace, so 15 miles less real world range. I really want to see range improving, even if just be 20 miles, when I upgrade.

But it does look a viable contender.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
chicken george said:
They both have dual motors, you cannot buy either with just a single motor. There are loads of videos on You Tube if you want to check.

·
Registered
147 Posts
30000 miles and 30 months after buying the I pace none of the other options tick as many of the right boxes for a replacement. If I could order a new one with HUD etc I would, but since that isn't an option I'm sticking with mine until either the chip situation improves, or something else comes on the market.

·
Registered
207 Posts
shadwellal said:
30000 miles and 30 months after buying the I pace none of the other options tick as many of the right boxes for a replacement. If I could order a new one with HUD etc I would, but since that isn't an option I'm sticking with mine until either the chip situation improves, or something else comes on the market.
I'm similar, mine has 21K on it, drives tightly, been serviced, so I may just take a 12 month warranty from someone, and wait and see.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Fluff said:
... I may just take a 12 month warranty from someone, and wait and see.
Jaguar should offer you an extension when your factory warranty runs out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its just that volvos sales site is wrong then,its clearly says 1 motor and slower acceleration figure for the xc40 over the c40.
Auto express states all 40,s are currently twin motor,but a 2wd is expected in the future.

I wont be buying either,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fisker Ocean looks ok, and built by the austrians, I wonder if a few parts are common....

·
Registered
376 Posts
XC40 has both version, dual engine AWD and cheaper single engine FWD models. I drove AWD version. It's bit softer than I-Pace (on air) and oversteers in hard corners. But it's comfortable, great seats and sitting position and quiet. The infotainment is decent even I don't like need of scrolling of pages on it. Also no CarPlay at the moment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's bit softer than I-Pace (on air) and oversteers in hard corners. But it's comfortable, great seats and sitting position and quiet. The infotainment is decent even I don't like need of scrolling of pages on it. Also no CarPlay at the moment.
Looks a nice car but real world driving range is going to be well under 200 miles especially in winter I'd have thought??

61 - 80 of 104 Posts