Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

Registered
Reading a review today the BMW i4 M50 looks like a decent option for those prepared to buy German, faster and cheaper than the Jag but you are stuck with a saloon type form factor

Reactions: Jaglar and Thincat

Registered
And also that grille 馃槃
Great looking car but small boot and no frunk. Why didn't they capitalize on the I-Pace and made an electric XF using the I-Pace as "platform". However, give me an electric Velar.

Registered

An electric Velar.

That would be a nice option

Reactions: Thincat

Registered
Great looking car but small boot and no frunk. Why didn't they capitalize on the I-Pace and made an electric XF using the I-Pace as "platform". However, give me an electric Velar.
I really don't understand why they haven't wrapped a RR Evoque body (or something visibly similar) around the iPace platform as it seems like a really easy thing to do.

Registered

Registered
The decision to use a new platform for the IPace was made 7 or 8 yrs ago I鈥檓 sure, radical and the intention was to develope the JPace and XJ EV with hindsight they were ahead of the market, Other brands chose to develop platforms that could accommodate EV, Hybrid or ICE power, JLR now have to do what they should have done but are going to be at least 5 yrs late. They have gained a lot of valuable experience with EVs, although I鈥檓 sure it has been very costly, I鈥檝e seen no detailed plans for future EV models at all.

Registered
I鈥檓 handing back my iPace in December.

TBH, I鈥檝e had a few issues with the car, one of which was serious. That said, the car seems to be settled and reliable now and it鈥檚 a great handling, fast car to drive so I do rate it over most of the competition available, even today (I鈥檓 okay with range and charging speed for my use case).

What am I doing next? I鈥檝e ordered a Kia EV6 GT-Line S AWD, which I will buy outright. It鈥檚 only 拢52K.

I haven鈥檛 driven one yet, but I鈥檝e watched loads of driving reviews from UK, Europe & Korea, and they are all complimentary about handling (not iPace standard!) and acceleration. In fact, two independant tests show the 0 - 60 to be 4.6 & 4.8 respectively - that鈥檚 quick enough for me, so no need to wait for a GT and the 3.5s.

I鈥檝e crawled all over an EV6 that was trawled round the country and fit and finish looked great with lots of tech included. It鈥檚 actually nicely laid out inside in particular.

I鈥檝e considered and rejected a number of alternatives, many of which were just too boring and slow. I can鈥檛 bring myself to like the Polestar 2 and the Volvo XC40 seems a little cramped and doesn鈥檛 look special to me. Not too interested in the 鈥淢ustang鈥 or any of the affordable Audis which don鈥檛 feel like value for money. The i4 is pricey for the better model and Teslas have a bit of a disposable feel about them. I think the Ioniq 5 is just a bit cutesy looking and has a slightly smaller battery than the EV6. I do appreciate my views are largely about what I like and what I don鈥檛 like!

Registered
Reading a review today the BMW i4 M50 looks like a decent option for those prepared to buy German, faster and cheaper than the Jag but you are stuck with a saloon type form factor
Visit BMW dealer today. I was told that M50 is over 12 months waiting list. It would be a nice replacement (except the GRILL). Only thing is that if seats are as low as 300-series, it feels like stepping in/out a gravity well when getting in or out :) at this age (and weight) I'm more SUV guy than low sport sedan.

Registered
The decision to use a new platform for the IPace was made 7 or 8 yrs ago I鈥檓 sure, radical and the intention was to develope the JPace and XJ EV with hindsight they were ahead of the market, Other brands chose to develop platforms that could accommodate EV, Hybrid or ICE power, JLR now have to do what they should have done but are going to be at least 5 yrs late. They have gained a lot of valuable experience with EVs, although I鈥檓 sure it has been very costly, I鈥檝e seen no detailed plans for future EV models at all.
I spoke too soon, plans to extend the IPace life just announced.

"A 鈥減ermanently and significantly updated鈥 I-Pace SUV will be the only Jaguar to survive into the new generation of models due from 2025, but it will be considered separately to the firm鈥檚 new-generation cars."

Good news for me, the IPace suits well, faster charging and better tech would be welcome by a great many.

Registered
I spoke too soon, plans to extend the IPace life just announced.

"A 鈥減ermanently and significantly updated鈥 I-Pace SUV will be the only Jaguar to survive into the new generation of models due from 2025, but it will be considered separately to the firm鈥檚 new-generation cars."

Good news for me, the IPace suits well, faster charging and better tech would be welcome by a great many.
That's very interesting; can you tell us where you found that info?

Registered
I鈥檓 handing back my iPace in December.

TBH, I鈥檝e had a few issues with the car, one of which was serious. That said, the car seems to be settled and reliable now and it鈥檚 a great handling, fast car to drive so I do rate it over most of the competition available, even today (I鈥檓 okay with range and charging speed for my use case).

What am I doing next? I鈥檝e ordered a Kia EV6 GT-Line S AWD, which I will buy outright. It鈥檚 only 拢52K.

I haven鈥檛 driven one yet, but I鈥檝e watched loads of driving reviews from UK, Europe & Korea, and they are all complimentary about handling (not iPace standard!) and acceleration. In fact, two independant tests show the 0 - 60 to be 4.6 & 4.8 respectively - that鈥檚 quick enough for me, so need to wait for a GT and the 3.5s.

I鈥檝e crawled all over an EV6 that was trawled round the country and fit and finish looked great with lots of tech included. It鈥檚 actually nicely laid out inside in particular.

I鈥檝e considered and rejected a number of alternatives, many of which were just too boring and slow. I can鈥檛 bring myself to like the Polestar 2 and the Volvo XC40 seems a little cramped and doesn鈥檛 look special to me. Not too interested in the 鈥淢ustang鈥 or any of the affordable Audis which don鈥檛 feel like value for money. The i4 is pricey for the better model and Teslas have a bit of a disposable feel about them. I think the Ioniq 5 is just a bit cutesy looking and has a slightly smaller battery than the EV6. I do appreciate my views are largely about what I like and what I don鈥檛 like!
Enjoy your Kia. When you have had chance to get used to it please let us know how it compares with the i-Pace. To me, they appear very closely matched (except on price) and a decision to change will be based on range and performance but there will also be some minor things that could be irritating such as how the surround cameras and adaptive cruise control works. Also, the ride quality and how the car handles. My other half would probably miss the passenger seat memory but I like the idea of laying the seat flat to carry a very long item, so hearing about your experience will be very interesting and only someone with in-depth experience with both will notice these small things.

Registered
That's very interesting; can you tell us where you found that info?
It was in this Autocar article June 23rd I had not seen it before and had not seen any comment. It infers the IPace will continue beyond 2025 and all the new Jags will be 拢100k plus
Jaguar boss signs off plan for radical new EV line-up

Registered
Enjoy your Kia. When you have had chance to get used to it please let us know how it compares with the i-Pace. To me, they appear very closely matched (except on price) and a decision to change will be based on range and performance but there will also be some minor things that could be irritating such as how the surround cameras and adaptive cruise control works. Also, the ride quality and how the car handles. My other half would probably miss the passenger seat memory but I like the idea of laying the seat flat to carry a very long item, so hearing about your experience will be very interesting and only someone with in-depth experience with both will notice these small things.
Will do, but I鈥檓 not suggesting for a moment this is a straight alternative to the iPace. The iPace is easily the best driving EV bar none at it鈥檚 price point - helped a lot by the air suspension.

Registered
It was in this Autocar article June 23rd I had not seen it before and had not seen any comment. It infers the IPace will continue beyond 2025 and all the new Jags will be 拢100k plus
Jaguar boss signs off plan for radical new EV line-up
Whilst I am perfectly happy to pay over 拢100k for a car, that car would not be a Jaguar. I don't see the brand being around in the longer term

Registered
Whilst I am perfectly happy to pay over 拢100k for a car, that car would not be a Jaguar. I don't see the brand being around in the longer term
I just buy what electric car suits me most. Back in 2019 it was the I-Pace and if I had to buy one this year it still would be the I-Pace. Our number 2 car is a 2015 Audi and that one may be replaced by a new electric one (electric Velar?) and become the number one car. The I-Pace is most likely a keeper.

Registered
鈥淚鈥檒l pay 拢80k for a Jaguar that I don鈥檛 see being around in the longer term but I wouldn鈥檛 pay 拢100k for a Jaguar that I don鈥檛 see being around in the longer term.鈥

Registered
Jaguar as a brand within JLR will survive, wether that is as an independant company owned by TATA is questionable, they are a small company if they plan to move 鈥渦pmarket鈥 it鈥檚 going to need a revolution in management from top to bottom, that鈥檚 a bid ask.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts