Votes: 17 11.6%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Still deliberating wheel choice.

Very tempted by 22" 5 split-spoke but sensible head is arguing for 20" 5 split-spoke.

Which will you choose...?

G

·
My F-Pace has 22" wheels .... it looked awesome.

However the car was a little firm on the bad UK roads.

So it will depend on if you have young kids and want them to be car sick (or OAP's as mother -in-law also got sick a few times) ..... and/or if you have the air suspension option - as I'm told this will help a lot.

Tbh without a test drive is play it safe and get the 20's, but then I'm old and want smoother rides and had 22's before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also still debating. Currently I have chosen for the 20" 5 spoke (gloss black). But tempting to go for 22".

+
Looks

-
Comfort? I have the air suspension and dynamic configuration as an option.
Impact on the range?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went for the 22" split spoke wheels and air suspension. The tyres are 255/40s, so not a particularly low profile for a sports car. My BMW X5 40e M Sport has 20" 315/35 run flats on the rear. So I am expecting a good deal more comfortable ride in the I-Pace.

I saw both 22" designs when I went to Solihull last week. Both look superb, but I preferred the look of the split spoke design. They just ooze quality!

I asked if air suspension was really essential with the 22" wheels and was told not. Jaguar say the ride on the steel springs is very acceptable. They also said the handling of the car is at its best on 22" wheels.

G

·
flink41 said:
Is a 22" wheel much heavier than a 20" wheel?
I don't have figures but I'd say that wheel and tyre combined weight will be roughly the same, enough that you won't notice a difference on range.

mikew said:
They also said the handling of the car is at its best on 22" wheels.
This is standard tyre logic ... the smaller the tyre side wall then the less they ballon outwards under hard turning, hence better handling.

However unless you race around a lot then I'd still personally take the 20's over the 22"'s for comfort.

Like I said the 22's look fantastic... brilliant ... it's the reason I had them on my F-Pace, however after a year the amount of miles I did driving normally with the family vs the miles I did solo on country roads was 150:1 ratio. Therefore if I was to buy and SUV style car again I'd sacrifice the looks for comfort.

However if you are willing to put up with a slightly harder ride then definitely go for the 22's !!!

Also you need to afford them ... mine were a £1600 upgrade .... they cost so much for the I-Pace

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did Jaguar publish any information concerning tyre sizes? I didn't find anything.
That's why I asked my dealer. And he found out:
18' : 235/65 R18 7.5J
20' : 245/50 R20 8.0J
22' : 255/40 R22 8.5J

Might be interesting for decision making... ;-)

G

·
DutchIpaceOwner said:
Beware that 22" consumes far more power than the smaller sizes. There are plenty of reports on Tesla wheel-size performance online:
"23.3% more consumption for Model X P100D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels."

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/11/10/tesla-model-s-model-x-wheel-size-affect-efficency/amp/
Is the article on Tesla tests helpful at all ? Yes, but it would have been more informative if it added missing info like Tyre size and weights, and one would assume all the tyres were new, and all tests conducted under same conditions. In addition they don't say if the tests were done on all summer or all-weather tyres - while as long they were all the same it should be the same scaling ... the %'s may be less on summer or more on All Season.

However it does show a staged increase .... what %'s would apply to the Jag no one knows yet.

The Width and diameter of the tyre itself is more important than just the dia of the wheel.
Also what isn't listed in that article is the weight of the wheels nor the drag coefficient on the combined wheel/tyre combo.

That article is great for people buying Tesla's and doesn't necessarily relate to the Jag Wheels. What we do know is this :-
  • Wider Tyre's mean great resistance = less miles.
  • Heavier Wheel + Tyre combinations = less miles.
  • Less drag efficient wheels = less miles.
  • Overall Tyre Diameter = less miles.
  • And thanks to Darkhelmet the tyre sizes are :-
    <LIST>
    • 18' : 235/65 R18 7.5J
    • 20' : 245/50 R20 8.0J
    • 22' : 255/40 R22 8.5J
</LIST>

As an example if a 20" Wheel + Tyre total diameter was the same as a 22" + Tyre total diameter, and they combination weighed the same, had the same drag coefficient , and same width ... then the difference in miles would be Zero.

Based on the sizes that Darkhelmet provided the width is greater between 18" and 22"'s , which is an increase of 8.5% surface touching the ground, but the overall diameter is roughly the same. Therefore the only other factors are :-
  • The drag coefficient of all their wheels.
  • The weight of the wheels + tyre combo

Which we don't have - and we don't know what the extra widths 8.5% means in performance ... I would expect it's more than just 8% less range.

Finally that article did mention one thing :-

Some of the tests were performed on a dyno machine and at 50 mph (80 km/h). In real-world conditions and at higher highway speeds, other factors like wind resistance set in and reduce the importance of the rolling resistance, which is what is accounted for in those tests.
In conclusion we have no hard data for the I-Pace, however it is probably safe to say that you will lose some range by picking bigger wheels. You'll have to make that call if it's worth it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
DutchIpaceOwner said:
Beware that 22" consumes far more power than the smaller sizes. There are plenty of reports on Tesla wheel-size performance online:
"23.3% more consumption for Model X P100D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels."

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/11/10/tesla-model-s-model-x-wheel-size-affect-efficency/amp/
Could be the case but ... the looks are 100% better :lol:

Might mean charging a little bit earlier, but who cares since distances in NL are not that big.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the google information is unreliable because it has been tested on a roller bank, the difference in rolling resistance between the different tire sizes will be correct. but with air resistance (which is much larger) is not taken into account.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wim said:
Could be the case but ... the looks are 100% better :lol:

Might mean charging a little bit earlier, but who cares since distances in NL are not that big.
True, but I'm already going to need full nights of charging (3,7kW x 11 hours = less than half the battery per night) to be able to drive to work for 5 days in a row.. The low charging speeds limits my tyre selection here ;-)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
While appreciating the esthetic value of larger rims I just sticked to the standard 18" rims simply because of limited budget and rather spending €2500-€3000 on leather seats, drive pack etc than bigger rims. I also prefer the 15-spoke rim over the 5-split spoke 18" rim.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Really irritating to make these choices without any hard information about the effect on range. It'd be nice if JLR would provide some.

I'm a reasonably well-educated engineering type&#8230; I guess the range number is just a function of the increased leverage on the road you get with a smaller diameter?

A pity, I picked the 20" black because I'm going for the Fuji white paint and the contrast with the all-black wheels is super-sharp. But, I care about range.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.