Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the I-pace have a manually adjusted steering wheel?
I believe all the other Jaguar models have an electric adjustable steering wheel when you have full electric memory seats.
I think it's kind of weird.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Because itˋs fail-safe! ;-)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I seem to remember that a number of Norwegians who signed very early FE contracts (Jan / Feb 2018) we told their cars would have electric steering wheel columns (I think it was even in their contracts) …… it all seems to have gone quiet on that front recently though.

It does seem very odd the I-Pace doesn't have it especially as the keyless entry is so personalised …. even down to streaming preferences..... plus every other JLR product at this price point has it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I drove today prototype First Edition with had electric steering wheel column with sport seats. Only that unit managed to just reversed out of parking lot and jammed there. So took another prototype which didn't have electric adjustment with standard seats.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Chutche said:
Just wondered what you mean that the I-Pace jammed.
It just didn't go anywhere. I put it on D and tried to go forward. Nothing happened. Tried to restart it couple of times but no help. SO took another car. When we got back it was moved from driveway so it wasn't permanent failure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
MjrPayne said:
I drove today prototype First Edition with had electric steering wheel column with sport seats. Only that unit managed to just reversed out of parking lot and jammed there. So took another prototype which didn't have electric adjustment with standard seats.
So it had an electric steering wheel column? I thought it was not an option, which I also thought was strange in a premium car....

·
Registered
378 Posts
I sent an inquiry to the dealership and asked if power adjust is available when the configurator or price list doesn't show it. But that car had it, a small chromed knob on the left side of the column. And it worked as I adjusted the steering for myself. As mentioned, the car was prototype. The car was this red unit, registered in GB even steering was on the left side: https://www.jokamies.fi/jaguar-i-pace-koeajo/. Unfortunately there's no pics of column's right side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My build sheet for an october build HSE reads Code 049AT manually adjustable steering column. There is no text/code for an electric one in the build spec sheets. If the car doesn't have an option it's marked by LESS before the description (for example 029LY LESS Spare Wheel if you don't have the spare wheel option)

Also in the online owners manual as previously stated by Aus_ipace only manual adjustment is shown/described.

If some prototype have the feature as MjrPayne described this is starting to become a bit mysterious.
The prototype I-pace cars I drove a few weeks ago all had manual adjustment.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe the power adjust took too much power from battery to cause the prototype jammed so they have dropped it from production cars :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
While it does seem strange and a little counter-intuitive that it isn't electrically adjustable, it being an electric car, I have a manually adjusted steering wheel in my F-Pace at the moment and I have adjusted it a grand total of once! One time only.

It really isn't a big deal, you get the car, you adjust the steering wheel to suit, you forget about it and never go back to it again.

If you let others drive your car then you'll just have to hope they don't bother adjusting the steering wheel to suit themselves. Good reason not to let anyone else drive your car. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
@catwoman: Yes I agree - same for me. But I can see that for cars that might have two regular drivers of different sizes/preferences then having the steering wheel position remembered as part of the memory settings would be a good feature. Also, on my present Macan, the electric steering wheel can be set to go to the fully up position when the ignition's off to make it easier to get in and out. (But doesn't help me much because I prefer the wheel fully up anyway.)

G

·
If the ipace had an electric steering column that retracted out of the way every time I parked it up, I would appreciate it, but it is a long time since I drove a car that did that feature. If other Jaguars models only have electric steering columns that remember position between drivers, and don't withdraw, I can live without it. Electric seat memory is more valuable in my experience.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Blackseries said:
I seem to remember that a number of Norwegians who signed very early FE contracts (Jan / Feb 2018) we told their cars would have electric steering wheel columns (I think it was even in their contracts) …… it all seems to have gone quiet on that front recently though.

It does seem very odd the I-Pace doesn't have it especially as the keyless entry is so personalised …. even down to streaming preferences..... plus every other JLR product at this price point has it.
On my F-Pace it was an option but having had it on my previous XF and found it useful I decided it wasn't worth bothering on the F-Pace, mainly because I'm the only person who normally drives my car and I hardly ever change the position because the seating position is more upright and it's easy to get your legs from under the wheel. Also I believe that the F-Pace version only allows movement up towards the windscreen and back wherwas the XF allowed the wheel to move towards the driver as well and the seat memory system also moved the wheel away from the driver when the keys were taken out of the ignition - making it easier to get in and out of the car. But the XF has a much lower seating position and you are nearer to lying down so the gap between your legs and the wheel is more critical. Because I'm the only driver and the adjustmet is limited I wouldn't pay the extra even if it were an option but if two of you were sharing the driving it might be useful to have. I wonder what happens to the drivers' seat settings if both front seats are occupied and both have their key fobs with them? It would be impressive if the car could tell which of you were driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts