Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that the latest Pivi update is the update with wireless Apple CarPlay!

Will be interesting to hear feedback from anyone who has received the update.

Edited for clarity

·
Registered
164 Posts
What version are you referring to „the latest"?
I think i have the latest version but no wireless CarPlay.
Im booked into the dealership this month for inspection and I already wondered thatvthey said they will update my software (whatever software that is)

You are talking about a SOTA update, right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
These are the release notes for the latest 2.0.6 release...

• Multiple performance improvements to the Pivi infotainment system
• User interface visual updates provide enhanced clarity and readability across a wide range of areas
• Speech now supports the use of a wake-up-word so you can address the system by a name of your choice. It also allows you to interrupt for follow-up interactions. You can also control the climate system via speech now e.g. "Hey <name of your choice> I'm cold" or Hey <name of your choice> set the temperature to 21 degrees". Enable these new features from speech settings.
• Updates and simplification of settings
• Navigation system performance improvements including a variety of detailed changes and refinements. We've also now added machine learning Commute guidance for your everyday routes

Looks like a big update, but no mention of wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EEV320 said:
What version are you referring to „the latest"?
I think i have the latest version but no wireless CarPlay.
Im booked into the dealership this month for inspection and I already wondered thatvthey said they will update my software (whatever software that is)

You are talking about a SOTA update, right?
I saw it posted in an i-Pace Facebook group this morning, i was an SOTA update with screenshots, but now that post seems to have disappeared :?:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Weezer said:
These are the release notes for the latest 2.0.6 release...

• Multiple performance improvements to the Pivi infotainment system
• User interface visual updates provide enhanced clarity and readability across a wide range of areas
• Speech now supports the use of a wake-up-word so you can address the system by a name of your choice. It also allows you to interrupt for follow-up interactions. You can also control the climate system via speech now e.g. "Hey <name of your choice> I'm cold" or Hey <name of your choice> set the temperature to 21 degrees". Enable these new features from speech settings.
• Updates and simplification of settings
• Navigation system performance improvements including a variety of detailed changes and refinements. We've also now added machine learning Commute guidance for your everyday routes

Looks like a big update, but no mention of wireless CarPlay.
Im on 2.1 (installed a couple of weeks back) and do not have wireless CarPlay - so assume this post is all referring to a different update that is forthcoming.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok the post is back up, its on the Jaguar i-pace Facebook discussion group.

Pivi version 3.0.0. Wireless apple CarPlay.

Looking forward to receiving the update

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's gone again. I think it hasn't been officially released yet and someone is posting before they should do and it has been taken down.

This time i have screenshots. I won't post them though as they will probably have to be taken down by the mods

The release must be imminent though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Haven't even got 2.6 yet so won't be holding my breath?

Was it just carplay or wireless AA too?

Both are rumoured to be coming

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm really loosing track of these versions.
I'm on 2.1.4.
So there is a 2.6 already, and a 3.0 coming up?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, I'm still on 2.1.4 as well. So I've already gone sailing past 2.0.6. which I (foolishly) mentioned earlier. I mean, how hard is it for Jag to have up-to-date patch notes?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so some people jumped the gun a few weeks ago but it is now being rolled out. I am sure Jaguar won’t mind me posting this here, below is a copy/paste from the i-pace UK Facebook forum:

OS3.0

Hi everyone. Great news. Over the coming days we will start the roll out of OS3.0!

This is the first of a number of major updates coming over the coming months. As always please note we use a staggered roll out so not all vehicles will receive the update at the same time. Please note: Depending on your vehicle you’ll need to be running 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 before 3.0 can be installed. Search for another post I wrote a while ago on over the air updates and tips for ensuring they download and install as soon as possible.

The official release notes are listed at the end, but I wanted to use this post to share some additional info /tips related to the most important addition as part of this update – Wireless Apple CarPlay & Wireless Android Auto.

As the words suggests, this update enables the ability to use your compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone without the need for a USB cable.

We’re also with this release introducing some enhancements to how Apple CarPlay & Android Auto are integrated into the Pivi/Pivi Pro experience, specifically Pivi/Pivi Pro’s homescreen to provide a more seamless experience than the typical Apple CarPlay & Android Auto experience.

First things first, getting set-up to use your smartphone wirelessly...

In most cases you’re going to need to delete your phone from Pivi/Pivi Pro AND within your smartphone’s Bluetooth settings, so let’s go ahead and do that first.

From virtually any Pivi screen click on the settings cog in the bottom corner of the touchscreen. Click ALL > connectivity > Bluetooth > <name of the phone you wish to delete and set-up for wireless CarPlay / Android Auto > scroll to the bottom and click on ‘Forget Device’.

Now go to your smartphone’s Bluetooth settings and find your vehicle in the list of paired devices. Delete/forget it.

Now, go back to Pivi’s Bluetooth settings and click on ‘Pair New Device’. Follow Pivi’s onscreen instructions but also look out for pop-up messages on your smartphone as you’ll need to accept some of these to ensure it connects.

Once the phone is paired Pivi will ask if you wish to use your phone with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. Agree to this. Again, check your phone for similar requests.

In most cases you should now be done, but in case here’s a few things to check and a few tips.

First a few of Pivi’s settings:

1. Connectivity > Apple CarPlay / Android Auto (depending on your phone of course), check the switch is set to automatically launch Apple CarPlay/Android Auto when your phone connects to the vehicle – by default this should be set to on. If you prefer you can manually start/stop Apple CarPlay/Android Auto from the button above this control.

2. Connectivity > Wireless. This setting MUST be set to On. By default, it should be.

3. Your smartphone’s Bluetooth settings. There is often a setting for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in Bluetooth or wireless settings. Ensure this is enabled. Whilst you’re there if you wish to use messaging with Pivi Pro given Pivi Pro also supports message dictation in this release ensure show notifications is enabled on iPhone. Some Android phones have similar permission settings. This enables Pivi to display incoming text messages and then allow you to reply or send further messages. Remember Pivi also supports wake words. Go to settings > All > General > Voice Settings > Wake Word > Enable ‘Wake Word’. By default, this is Hey Jaguar. Alternatively, if you enable ‘My Wake Word’ you can record your own wake word. Mine is ‘Hey Pivi’, but you can use pretty much whatever you like as long as it has sufficient syllables for recognition.

With this set-up you can say ‘Hey Pivi send a message to <name of contact>’ on mobile.’ Pivi will then display a dictation screen for you to start dictating a message. You can also use message templates. My favourite is the one which sends your ETA as a text along with your destination and then automatically follows this up with updates if you’re running late.

With your Apple iPhone / Android smartphone connected over Apple CarPlay / Android Auto respectively you can also interact with Siri / Google Assistant through a long press of the speech recognition button on the steering wheel button.

Ok so that’s the set-up out of the way.

As part of this release, we’ve also enhanced the integration of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. There’s a couple of important points to note here:

First let’s talk about what’s new. Now the phone, media and navigation tiles and their respective shortcuts in the sidebar will link directly to Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. This allows direct calling to favourite contacts (if the phone supports this) or recents directly from Pivi’s homescreen. If using Apple Carplay and Apple Maps or Android Auto and Google Maps the nav tile will now display information from those apps in Pivi’s navigation tile. The media tile also supports control and information depending on the connected device and media app in use. If using phone, media or navigation from a connected smartphone (connected via Apple CarPlay/Android Auto) the side bar icons will now also link to those apps.

IMPORTANT: This now means when you click on the navigation shortcut in the side bar (assuming there is a connected phone) this will launch the last used navigation app whether it be on your phone or Pivi Pro’s built-in navigation system. If you only use Pivi Pro’s navigation OR say Apple Maps via Apple CarPlay this will make life easier for you as this shortcut will launch the app you use regardless of where it is hosted. We expect most people will use one or the other. If, however, you like to use both, to launch Pivi Pro’s navigation app having previously used a navigation app on a connected smartphone, relaunch Pivi Pro’s navigation from the app launcher. Once you’ve done so and set a destination, the home tile and side bar shortcut will revert to link to Pivi Pro’s navigation system.

OS3.0 Release Notes:

Introduction of wireless Apple CarPlay™ & Android Auto®*

Apple CarPlay™ & Android Auto®* is now integrated into Pivi's home screen.

Connected Speech can be used to control TuneIn and Deezer

Message Dictation is now supported

Clearer icons for phone and vehicle signal strength

You can now also confirm a destination to start guidance directly from the search results list in the keyboard, removing one or two steps as we continue to refine the Pivi experience and aim to reduce steps wherever possible.

*Please check market applicability

·
Registered
25 Posts
Search for another post I wrote a while ago on over the air updates and tips for ensuring they download and install as soon as possible.
I also found this useful information on the I-Pace UK Facebook forum which I have copied/pasted here.

SOTA (Software-Over-The-Air) technology allows us to update multiple ECUs (Electronic Control Units) within your vehicle, such as Pivi Pro, Powertrain, Chassis, Drive Assistance Systems and Charging/Battery Management modules (on applicable vehicles).

There are 3 types of updates:

1. Automatic Updates: Whilst driving, updates are installed in the background with no effect on the usage of your vehicle. It’s installed to a second partition of the corresponding ECU. The ECU has two partitions, one is updated whilst the other is in use. The next time the vehicle starts, the module switches to the newer version and the original is retained as a back-up.

2. Manual Updates: Where the vehicle requests you to click ‘Update now’ or ‘Schedule’, the update will install after locking the vehicle or at the time selected. During the advised installation time, the vehicle cannot be driven. These updates can either be for individual modules or include a pack of updates across multiple modules.

3. Manual Updates with T&Cs: These updates require you to agree to the Terms & Conditions before installation can begin. This could be due to any updates to the original Pivi Pro T&Cs. Once agreed, the system will then follow the regular update process.

Every time you drive the vehicle, it checks for updates - assuming you are in an area with network or Wi-Fi coverage. In this case, you do not need to initiate anything from the vehicle.

Automatic updates will automatically download, preinstall and require no pop-up to be accepted. When you next use your vehicle, it will be running on the updated software. You can see the information about the update contents in the software updates menu.

Manual updates will automatically download. Following the download and any preinstallation, you will be presented with a pop-up at ignition off prompting you to update now or schedule. You can go directly to the software updates menu and select update now or schedule from there.

After clicking update now, you can leave and lock the vehicle.
The vehicle will wait 10 minutes before proceeding with the update, to give you time to go back to the vehicle and drive away if you need to (this will stop the update from proceeding).
After 10 minutes has passed, the vehicle will wake up and perform the pre-condition checks to ensure it is okay to proceed with the installation.

The vehicle checks multiple things, including, but not limited to:

Windows closed: To ensure the vehicle is secure - just make sure you have closed all windows fully. Even if the windows look closed, it’s still possible one could be very slightly open and easily missed resulting in the update not able to take place.

Battery charge: There must be sufficient 12V battery charge for the install to succeed, whilst ensuring there’s plenty of charge remaining in the battery to allow the vehicle to be started multiple times. The charge requirement varies by update, depending on how long the install will take. If for example, the update is very large and you have driven multiple short journeys, the update may not proceed. Reattempt the update after you have performed a long journey.

Vehicle connected to a charger: Currently updates are not supported whilst the vehicle is plugged into a vehicle charger. We hope to remove this restriction in a future update.

Network connection: The vehicle will check the server prior to installation to ensure the update is still valid. This can happen via the vehicle’s internal eSIM or Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi is selected and connected, it will prioritise Wi-Fi. Therefore, if you have issues, try disabling Wi-Fi as the signal may be insufficient or could be affected by other devices in/around your home. If using the eSIM, is the vehicle parked where there is network connection? If your vehicle is fitted with Pivi Pro and in markets where connected services are included (e.g. real time traffic information) check the signal strength indication for Pivi Pro in the area under the clock on the touchscreen prior to vehicle shutdown. Note: Whilst the telematics module which connects to the cloud for downloading SOTA updates uses a separate connection to the one Pivi Pro uses (in applicable markets), in most cases this can be used as a guide.

Ambient temperature: The update will not proceed in extreme temperatures (-10 and below) due to increased drain on the battery.

OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) check: As the updates are performed across the internal vehicle network, the update cannot proceed if there is something plugged into the OBD port, as this could interact with the vehicles internal network.

Scheduled events: If you have something scheduled like climate pre-conditioning during the time of a SOTA update, the update will not proceed.

Once the install checks have been passed, the vehicle then initiates the installation. If you attempt to start the vehicle at this time (estimated install time is shown on the screen when clicking update now), it will appear to be dead. You can lock and unlock, but if you attempt to start the car, nothing will happen.

When returning to the vehicle, you will see a notification saying either the update did not proceed (this means one of the prechecks did not pass) or that the update has been successful.
It’s also worth noting that not all vehicles receive updates on the same day, we release updates in batches. If you see a fellow group member with the update ahead of you first check all the above and then secondly just continue to drive your vehicle. It should eventually receive the update.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ok this the theory. In reality, how many arw really updated over the air. I don’t remember that I saw any update for Powertrain, Chassis, and Drive Assistance Systems. I can check I have the version number of the software of every single ECU that I took last year. I can compare with current version number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How does the audio quality compare between wired and wireless Carplay?
Checked with Apple and it appears lossless audio is only passed when using a cable. And let’s face it, with that Meridian system you would want to feed it best possible quality! For everything else, there’s no doubt wireless CarPlay is very convenient.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Checked with Apple and it appears lossless audio is only passed when using a cable. And let’s face it, with that Meridian system you would want to feed it best possible quality! For everything else, there’s no doubt wireless CarPlay is very convenient.

Hopefully the wired connection has priority over the wireless streaming.
If you don't have wireless charging the phone will be dead rather quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post - picking my I-Pace Black up on Saturday finally!

Re: Wireless CarPlay - as a longtime user of iPhone navigation: whether Apple or Google maps, or Waze - they all chew through the iPhone battery so other than the initial gimmick; using phone based nav I'm more inclined to want the phone to be plugged in anyway.

I'm coming from having owned a number of BMW's and preferred Waze's connected features/traffic info etc - Maybe existing I-Pace owners can offer any opinion on whether I'll be more swayed by the built-in Jaguar Navigation??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts