Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my I-Pace for a month now and sadly have only covered just over 500 miles in it. I've just been so busy locally that, apart from a 100 mile trip to Settle and back, all I've really done is my short commute and a few trips downtown.

All that is about to change though. Next week I have to pick someone up from Manchester airport. it's 89 miles each way with 10 miles on single carriageway A roads, another 10 miles on dual carriageway A roads and the rest is motorway. Call it 180 miles for the round trip.

The thing is my passenger on the return trip will have been in the air for 15 hours. All he will want to do is get to York as soon as possible and jump into the shower. So I really don't want to subject him to having to stop to recharge.

On the face of it 180 miles shouldn't be a problem if I keep to the speed limit. I can even take it a bit steadier still on the outbound trip to increase the safety margin for the return trip.

I will be setting off after the morning peak and will be back before the evening peak. I will start with 100% SoC and will have fully preconditioned. There will only be me in the car on the outbound trip and I will be in Eco mode. On the M62 I will be crossing the Pennines in both directions. I'm planning on switching regen to low when I get onto the motorway and will turn my traffic speed anticipation level up to maximum!

I have no experience whatsoever of motorway range, so would appreciate knowing what those who do have think.

Ideally I'd like to get to Manchester airport with something close to 60% SoC... so as to still have 20% left as I'm getting close to home on the way back.

Will this be easily achievable? As I see it it certainly should be and I'll be extremely disappointed if it's not.

Please tell me it is! I really don't want to chicken out here and take my wife's ICE car instead!

Many thanks.

BTW my software version is 14.2.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Max69! That's excellent economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mikew said:
Will this be easily achievable? As I see it it certainly should be and I'll be extremely disappointed if it's not.
I think it will be achievable, but if you needed a top-up there is a 50kW Genie Point (like the one near settle) just off Jn 23 M60. To err on the safe side I would allow an extra 30 mins and stop there on the way to the airport.

That's what I am tending to do at present until I get completely confident on the range with round trips of 200 miles.

Chris.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the top up suggestions shadwellal and Chris. And that looks like a great trip Max69!

Of course this is a first real test for me and I'd like to achieve it on a single charge if I can. A quick top up on the outbound trip is a good idea through, but I'll hope to only do it if things are looking seriously wrong!

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max69 said:
This last part was much less efficient though, but much enjoyable😃
Verbier! I hope you enjoy! A little distance away, but we used to have a place in Saas-Fee. A great road up to it, but not quite so many hairpins!

·
Registered
153 Posts
mikew said:
Thanks for the top up suggestions shadwellal and Chris. And that looks like a great trip Max69!

Of course this is a first real test for me and I'd like to achieve it on a single charge if I can. A quick top up on the outbound trip is a good idea through, but I'll hope to only do it if things are looking seriously wrong!

Mike
Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shadwellal said:
mikew said:

Mike
Let us know how you get on!
Full report... I promise!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Mike, I did a return trip from London to Birmingham with 4 adults total of 217.6 miles on a single charge. Showed that still had 26 miles left.
You should in my opinion be okay unless you drive crazily😉.
Regards.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nipri said:
Hi Mike, I did a return trip from London to Birmingham with 4 adults total of 217.6 miles on a single charge. Showed that still had 26 miles left.
You should in my opinion be okay unless you drive crazily😉.
Regards.
Yes nipri, I remember your report! Thanks for reminding me.

I'm not going to drive crazily; quite the opposite.

I really would like to think I'll have no issues at all. But, as suggested by a few people, I will set off early and be prepared to stop for a quick top up if my range doesn't seem to be holding up as it should.

I hope you are enjoying your I-Pace!

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mike loving the I Pace. Gave the dealer the car to update the car with 14.2 & navigation whilst away in US.
Had a test drive of top of the range $76000 Tesla 3 which was good but in my opinion expensive for what you get compared to FE Edition in US which is about $5000 more.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is really interesting, I have been planning a return trip from Leicestershire to Skipton and expecting that I might have to stop off at the Riverside Retail center near Doncaster on the way back to recharge the car and also let my wife charge the credit card! :(

:idea: It strikes me that what we need is an "I-Pace owners club" - which could soon have members all over Europe so that if any member were to get into trouble finding an available charger we could stop off and visit a fellow member for a coffee and battery top-up! :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, great idea Thincat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've just had a Zappi fitted this week but its not been tested in anger and I won't be getting the iPace for a couple of months. I'm located next to Jn23 on the M62 so OP could always test my charger and top up on the way past :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thincat said:
This is really interesting, I have been planning a return trip from Leicestershire to Skipton and expecting that I might have to stop off at the Riverside Retail center near Doncaster on the way back to recharge the car and also let my wife charge the credit card! :(

:idea: It strikes me that what we need is an "I-Pace owners club" - which could soon have members all over Europe so that if any member were to get into trouble finding an available charger we could stop off and visit a fellow member for a coffee and battery top-up! :)
Great idea, Thincat! :idea: :cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DickiePhitt said:
I've just had a Zappi fitted this week but its not been tested in anger and I won't be getting the iPace for a couple of months. I'm located next to Jn23 on the M62 so OP could always test my charger and top up on the way past :D
Many thanks for the offer DickiePhitt, much appreciated!

This will be a 7kW charger I assume? If I wasn't meeting a flight I'd gladly drop by.

Actually I now have a plan. I've found a pair of 50kW InstaVolt chargers at a filling station just a couple of miles from the junction on the M60 where you turn off for the airport. If my SoC is less than 60% as I approach the junction I will turn off and recharge. In fact I'll set the satnav for the filling station, as I can find the airport with my eyes shut!

There's a new InstaVolt charger at my local gym, so I'll do a quick test charge ahead of the airport run.

Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thincat said:

If you want to avoid your wife smoking the credit card, I had a good charging experience at the Holiday Inn Doncaster, Polar charger just 1 minute off the A1 (and nowhere to go shopping).
50kwh charger, round the front of the hotel, down into the rear car park, and facing the entrance to Ballantine fitness centre.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts