Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Navigation voice commands

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jim_M 
#1 ·
Picked up my new I-Pace HSE on Friday. Impressive, with no issues so far except I can't enter navigation addresses using voice recognition. Car will recognise "Navigate to Home", but nothing else. Responds with "Function currently unavailable".

Should this work?

#2 ·
Could be a dialect problem.
My advice would be to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for your voice commands. It's way more advanced.

#5 ·
Speaking "Navigate to home" and "Go to home" both set my home address as the navigation destination. Other non-navigation voice commands also work, so I assume the car is able to understand my NZ accent.

Speaking "Navigate to " or "Go to " both result in the response "Function currently unavailable".

#6 ·
Coggeshallman said:
Mine works perfectly, (doesn't the command say Go To, not, navigate to?)and bearing in mind that I am at present going through some major dental work and my speech is not perfect!
Is anyone other than Coggeshallman successfully using voice input to set navigation addresses?

#7 ·
Daniellm - did you ever get to the bottom of this?
It refuses to understand my Aussie accent, it typically responds with "I'm sorry I didn't get that...."
I've tried talking naturally. I've even tried immitating the voices of Prince Charles, Michael Caine and even Billy Connolly (but not at the same time). Nothing works.
My wife's tried and it gives her the cold shoulder too.
Very infuriating!
You're a Kiwi, I'm an Ossie - could this be the Brit's getting us back for our superior cricket and rugby teams?
Something connected to Brexit perhaps........

#9 ·
Hodgo, unfortunately I have only been able to get two commands to work, "Navigate home" and "Cancel navigation". I have not been able to use voice to enter any form of destination address.

#10 ·
Many Aussies think that the people over the ditch (in NZ) swap their vowels, could that be the problem?

Does the I-Pace for the New Zealand market have a dealer selected regional language setting?

Sorry I have not tried the I-Pace voice commands, may be something for me to try during this lock-down.

Cheers, Steve

#11 ·
Same treatment in Canada. Must be a colonial thing.

I read on the US board some time ago that setting the language to US English results in success for spoken navigation commands. Can't bring myself to do that though...

Hodgo said:
Daniellm - did you ever get to the bottom of this?
It refuses to understand my Aussie accent, it typically responds with "I'm sorry I didn't get that...."
I've tried talking naturally. I've even tried immitating the voices of Prince Charles, Michael Caine and even Billy Connolly (but not at the same time). Nothing works.
My wife's tried and it gives her the cold shoulder too.
Very infuriating!
You're a Kiwi, I'm an Ossie - could this be the Brit's getting us back for our superior cricket and rugby teams?
Something connected to Brexit perhaps........

#13 ·
Hmmm..worth trying the voice recognition changed to "yankee" or "pomee", I seem to remember a setting where you could choose between Australian, British or American (no Kiwi or Canadian offered here).
I've resorted to swearing at the "promting voice" now, and that doesn't work either.

#18 ·
Which all takes us back to daniellm's original question:
Is there anybody out there who has had success with the voice commands???
Does it only work for the British? Does it only work for Coggeshallman?
Doesn't appear to work for any colonials or continentals.
I've never heared of a car exhibiting racial discrimination.
And this car was built in Austria!
Perhaps the software programmers mistook Austria for Australia?

#19 ·
I have no problems with using voice commands for navigation and phone. Seems to work fine for me, recognising post codes and street addresses. On very rare occasions it will refuse to understand a command, but in those instances I cancel and try again and it's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.